Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/)
-   -   ZF 6Hp26 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xj8-xjr-x350-x358-28/zf-6hp26-214270/)

lesauto 02-22-2019 08:22 AM

ZF 6Hp26

I have a completely rebuilt transmission we've been through it twice. It won't shift past third. Any idea's on what could be going on? When I tried to update the tcm I get this.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...95368ad136.jpg

motorcarman 02-22-2019 09:44 AM

The ZF6HP26 was never fitted to the X308.

You might try the X350 forum section.

bob

lesauto 02-22-2019 09:57 AM

I tried to delete the post when I realised I posted in the wrong place.

lesauto 02-22-2019 10:17 AM

ZF 6Hp26

We
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...8530d4998c.jpg
have a completely rebuilt transmission we've been through it twice. It won't shift past third. Any idea's on what could be going on? When I tried to update the tcm I get this.

JagV8 02-22-2019 10:54 AM

Exactly what car and also exactly which variant of the trans?

Did I mention to be exact...

lesauto 02-22-2019 01:31 PM

I was trying to update the TCM to the latest calibration. It's a 2005 jaguar xj8 4.2 supercharged 6hp26m

abonano 02-22-2019 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by lesauto (Post 2030974)
I was trying to update the TCM to the latest calibration. It's a 2005 jaguar xj8 4.2 supercharged 6hp26m

Can't see the error message from your picture.

Are you using legit software? (What version of SDD?) For 2005 it should switch over to Legacy.

VCM or Mongoose - again, legit versions?

If your using pirated versions of either software or communication apparatus - proceed with extreme caution...

Finally, do you have the vehicle battery hooked up to at least a 30a - 50a charging unit before attempting any reflash?

SDD will not allow reflashing of any modules unless the battery is above a voltage threshold. (I believe it to be 13.0V)

A regular battery charger or maintainer will not cut it!

30a is the entry point, 50a+ is ideal.

Highhorse 02-23-2019 08:40 AM

Contact a Mod and ask them to move it for you. They are listed at the bottom right of each forum. Simply prompt one, go to their page and send them a personal message asking if they will move it for you....cheers.

lesauto 02-23-2019 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by abonano (Post 2031072)
Can't see the error message from your picture.

Are you using legit software? (What version of SDD?) For 2005 it should switch over to Legacy.

VCM or Mongoose - again, legit versions?

If your using pirated versions of either software or communication apparatus - proceed with extreme caution...

Finally, do you have the vehicle battery hooked up to at least a 30a - 50a charging unit before attempting any reflash?

SDD will not allow reflashing of any modules unless the battery is above a voltage threshold. (I believe it to be 13.0V)

A regular battery charger or maintainer will not cut it!

30a is the entry point, 50a+ is ideal.

I'm use a Bosch passthrough device. I'm getting error code no calibration for this variant. I'm subscribed to topix with the latest version. I also have the battery maintainer on the battery.

abonano 02-23-2019 08:36 PM

What version of SDD?

What's the amperage on the maintainer?

Don B 02-23-2019 10:14 PM

Hi Les,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums. It's great to have you with us. I replied to your thread in the X308 forum before realizing you had re-posted in the X350 forum so I have merged both threads.

A few questions come to mind:

1. Did your SDD package come with the additional calibration file library, and if so, is it properly installed? The package I use for programming 6HP26s is SDD Version 131.03 with the full calibration file library.

2. What VCI are you using? Mongoose clone, genuine Drew Technologies Mongoose, Ford VCM? The clones are not always reliable for control module programming.

3. Do you have a suitable power supply connected to the battery and the laptop plugged in to its power supply while attempting to program the TCM?

4. Did you clear the TCM adaptations prior to attempting to update the firmware?

5. What Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are stored, in all categories including the Powertrain (P-prefix), Chassis (C-prefix) and Network (U-prefix) codes? Some DTCs will cause the transmission to be locked in 3rd gear and Limp Home Mode.

6. During your rebuild did you swap in a Mechatronic (Valve Body/TCM) from another type of vehicle, such as a BMW, Ford, Hyundai, etc.? If so, JLR SDD may not be able to update the firmware.

Cheers,

Don

lesauto 02-24-2019 09:04 AM

We reused the TCM and I'm running the latest version of SDD and I use a Bosch vci passthrough. I have a battery maintainer just for flashing. I was able to clear flight recorder data with it but it won't let me update the tcm in normal mode or coded. I have flashed a lot of vechiles but this is my first Jaguar. I'm getting a gear load code. I believe it was p0783.

abonano 02-24-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by lesauto (Post 2031693)
We reused the TCM and I'm running the latest version of SDD and I use a Bosch vci passthrough. I have a battery maintainer just for flashing. I was able to clear flight recorder data with it but it won't let me update the tcm in normal mode or coded. I have flashed a lot of vechiles but this is my first Jaguar. I'm getting a gear load code. I believe it was p0783.

I think your Bosch vci pass through device may be the issue. Latest version of SDD is non relevant as the latest TCM version for this vehicle was rolled out with version 131 or so... the gear load code might be a road block also but my money is on the Bosch unit.

Don B 02-24-2019 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by lesauto (Post 2031693)

Hi Les,

P0783 will definitely trigger Limp Home Mode, locking the transmission in 3rd gear. Here is the definition and list of possible causes from the DTC Summaries manual:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...14ae1271c7.jpg

You can download one of the more complete Diagnostic Trouble Codes Summaries versions here:

X350 DTC Summaries

Assuming your transmission does not have an internal mechanical fault, you might look into the torque signal to the ECM, which begins with the Mass Airflow Sensor. Do you have any DTCs related to the MAFS or CAN (U-prefix codes)? It would help us if you could list all of the DTCs stored in the car, regardless of how unrelated you may think they may be.

Cheers,

Don

lesauto 02-25-2019 07:53 AM

I had a O2 code replaced the O2 sensor cleared all codes reset adaptive shift stratiges and still the same problem. The valve body has all new solinods and a zip kit in it. I'm thinking it could be a bad tcm. I can find BMW and Ford TCM'S but not a Jaguar TCM.

abonano 02-25-2019 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by lesauto (Post 2032110)
I had a O2 code replaced the O2 sensor cleared all codes reset adaptive shift stratiges and still the same problem. The valve body has all new solinods and a zip kit in it. I'm thinking it could be a bad tcm. I can find BMW and Ford TCM'S but not a Jaguar TCM.

If you think it's the TCM I have one available removed from a 05 XJ8. They usually don't go bad and it will need to be re-programmed.

Don B 02-25-2019 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by lesauto (Post 2032110)

Hi Les,

As the DTC Summaries guide I linked you to attests, O2 codes can be caused by many issues besides a failed O2 sensor, which is now obviously the case with your Jag.

Without giving us the full picture, you're asking us to offer wild guesses. Issues like yours are often complicated and require a full overview to diagnose.

Please post ALL of the DTCs stored in the car, including the P-, B-, C- and U- codes, and please share with us all of the symptoms that led you down this road of rebuilding the transmission, including all symptoms that did not seem to be directly related to the transmission.

Cheers,

Don

lesauto 02-25-2019 01:19 PM

When I get back to this car I will update everyone. Thanks for all of your help. I had to move on to something else this car is driving me crazy.

lesauto 02-25-2019 02:11 PM

How much for the tcm?

abonano 02-25-2019 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by lesauto (Post 2032273)
How much for the tcm?

PM me