XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

ZF 6HP26 / 28 Transmission Fluid Flush DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Wingrider,

Another great question! No, neither the sprayer nor the Mityvac can keep up with the flow rate of the transmission's pump. That's why I don't try to do the flush all in one continuous action. I run the engine just long enough for about 1 liter of fluid to be ejected (watching the graduations on the catch bucket), shut off the engine and add 1 liter of new fluid. Slower than a continuous action, but reduces the risk of the transmission ever running more than 1 liter low.

Cheers,

Don
What Don is saying above is that you do this 1 liter at a time using the Mityvac to pump in a liter when 1 liter has been expelled.

What you detail about changing the pan etc is the best option so that you have entirely new fluid in the pan before starting Don's procedure.

Which is what I did.

I use an infra red thermometer to check on temperature although SDD would be a bit more accurate if you can figure it out.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-09-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by jackra_1

I use an infra red thermometer to check on temperature although SDD would be a bit more accurate if you can figure it out.
Thanks jackra_1. I spoke to a local transmission mechanic. He is willing to do the flush for me for $75 (my materials). He said he is hesitant to do a complete flush all at once in any transmission with high mileage,
as he fears that the high concentration of fresh detergents in new transmission fluid could knock loose any crud in the transmission and gum up solenoids.

So I decided that while I wait for the pan/filter I ordered to arrive, I'd drain the pan and put in new fluid, then run the car a few weeks, so that there is a chance for the new fluid to clean a bit, but maybe mitigate the above risk. I put the car up, opened the fill plug first, and about 2 full quarts of fluid drained out. Hmmm.. The transmission was over 35 degrees C. So was it severely overfilled? I went ahead and drained the rest, and it measured about 4.5 quarts total. So as I fill the transmission, it only took about 3 quarts to fill to overflow, with the engine running and the transmission temp reading 48 degrees C.

I let it cool off a bit, but in this Florida weather (92 F/33 C outside today) it takes about 2 minutes for the transmission to heat up to over 57 degrees C.

I'm going to check it one more time, lower it, and go for a drive. But I'm not really thrilled that I drained 4.5 quarts, and am about to drive it having only put in 3 quarts.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...plained-37802/

Have a look at the above thread.

The correct fill temp is 40 degrees C. If you are over that temp the existing volume of the fluid expands and of course if you are under that the volume will be less.

Its tough as it can take quite a while for things to cool down once you are above 40 C.

The car has to be level throughout.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:15 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi FloridaPilot,

In addition to the thread John referenced, the ZF document I attached to my original post gives the filling procedure and temperatures.

I have found that if you use an infrared thermometer, you should aim the laser at the fluid draining from the fill hole for the most accurate reading. Plastic is a poor conductor of heat, so if you measure the pan temp it will be lower than the fluid temp.

The first time or two that I did fluid changes I used SDD to monitor the trans fluid temp - I can't remember how I got to that reading, but I think you can find a service routine that will display it. You may need to start a diagnostic session and enter transmission symptoms in order to get it to come up with Recommendations that include an appropriate service routine. Sorry I can't recall. Since I purchased an Autel MaxiSys Elite scan tool, it is so much faster than SDD that I use its Live Data function to monitor the trans temp sensor. Most scan tools with Live Data can probably do the same.

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (05-23-2019), MountainMan (12-21-2019), XJRay (07-15-2020)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2004 XJ8. I have not had the pan off but I assume the filter has a male fitting that fits into the transmission for the fluid pick up. On other cars I have cut that nipple off the old filter and glued a clear tube with the right ID to the that nipple. The nipple is pushed into the trans and the other end of the tube attaches to a very large funnel. I can hold the funnel in one arm and put 10 quarts of fluid in it (or more). A helper starts the car and the transmission sucks the fluid out of the funnel in a very short amount of time. When I see the fluid clearing the tube cut the engine.

It seemed a logical way to me and I did not have a transmission problem. The transmission is getting fluid just as if the pan were in place. I have a large catch basin under the trans. 10 quarts went in so 10 quarts came out. I put in the new filter and pan, add the required 5 quarts and done.
I thought this better than a flush using the cooler lines. No chance of cross contamination, you have a new filter and 100% new fluid.

Do you see anything wrong with this? It's one thing to put my Ford Focus at risk, but not my Jag.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by tomcoo
On other cars I have cut that nipple off the old filter and glued a clear tube with the right ID to the that nipple. The nipple is pushed into the trans and the other end of the tube attaches to a very large funnel. I can hold the funnel in one arm and put 10 quarts of fluid in it (or more). A helper starts the car and the transmission sucks the fluid out of the funnel in a very short amount of time. When I see the fluid clearing the tube cut the engine.

It seemed a logical way to me and I did not have a transmission problem. The transmission is getting fluid just as if the pan were in place. I have a large catch basin under the trans. 10 quarts went in so 10 quarts came out. I put in the new filter and pan, add the required 5 quarts and done.
Hi Tom,

If I understand your description, by your method you could replace the fluid in the torque converter and some other areas of the gearbox. But to complete the fill you would have to then disconnect your fill tube, reinstall the pan, and add the remaining fluid via the regular fill hole. Otherwise the half of your 10 quarts of oil that would normally live in the pan would just spill out of bottom of the transmission. That's the biggest challenge I envision with that method: the potential mess involved with fluid spilling into the transmission via the cooler return pipe, hitting transmission internals, then spraying everywhere out of the large opening normally covered by the pan. Trying to catch all of it in any normal-sized pan or tray might be a challenge. How have you solved that problem in the past?

When I began searching for a means of imitating the professional method of flushing the fluid via the cooler line ports, one of the chief attractions was the reduction of the mess involved in the job.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-13-2019 at 10:13 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (05-23-2019), jackra_1 (05-21-2019), MountainMan (12-21-2019), XJRay (07-15-2020)
Old 05-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes it is messy, I have 2 foot square pan to catch it all. So not much spills outside the pan. You put the pan with filter on and add required amount of fluid.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:00 AM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Project tackled this evening. Thanks for the resources!

I performed a flush on my 2008 XJ VDP, using the cooler line method. I only had 8 quarts of fluid handy, so I may flush again in the near future to finish the task.

I have to say, the cooler line method worked well, minus the fact I didn't have time to run the trans through the different gears during the change. Perhaps I'll try that on my refresher

Lastly - when I bought the hose adapters, I could not find inline barb adapters, so I made do with elbow barb adapters, as shown below. I feel like that might be better than the inline! Any onions here?
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...hoCEvEQAvD_BwE

Don B (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Vanden Nate
Lastly - when I bought the hose adapters, I could not find inline barb adapters, so I made do with elbow barb adapters, as shown below. I feel like that might be better than the inline! Any onions here?
Hi Nate,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us!

Thank you for reporting your success and the alternate hose adapter you used. I'm assuming that the threaded 3/8 NPT end of the 90-degree adapter was pushed into the cooler line port? Did it seal well or did some fluid leak out during the process?

Thanks,

Don

AD2014 (09-22-2019), MountainMan (12-21-2019), XJRay (07-15-2020)
Old 07-12-2019, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

The threaded portion looks bigger than the barbed part, so it might seal up with the hose piece just like the other.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:58 PM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

@Wingrider you are correct: the 1/2" threaded elbow is routed into the cooler port on the transmission housing. A fender washer, and a 1/2" length of vinyl tubing is attached on the 1/2" threaded elbow, then held in the port via mounting bracket.

I can attach a picture of my setup when I'm home. If I get back under the car to finish flushing, I can take a picture of the setup.

Great idea though, Don! I would not have attempted the project without seeing this thread

Originally Posted by Wingrider
The threaded portion looks bigger than the barbed part, so it might seal up with the hose piece just like the other.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:02 PM

Nate,

Please do post some photos when you get a chance. This is how we all learn.

Cheers,

Don

AD2014 (09-22-2019), MountainMan (12-21-2019), XJRay (07-15-2020)
Old 07-14-2019, 06:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing post!

Don B (07-14-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

Hi Don,
Going Way back to the first post, you mention clearing Mechatronic adaptations and updating firmware after flushing. As usual I have to risk the ignorant question- what does that even mean and can I do it with my code reader at home (I am doubtful at best)? I dont suppose touching the battery terminals together will help in this case...

Old 08-12-2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by jerry_hoback
Hi Don,
Going Way back to the first post, you mention clearing Mechatronic adaptations and updating firmware after flushing. As usual I have to risk the ignorant question- what does that even mean and can I do it with my code reader at home (I am doubtful at best)? I dont suppose touching the battery terminals together will help in this case...
Hi Jerry!

The Mechatronic (German spelling Mechatronik) is the combined valve body and transmission control module in the 6HP26. Like the 4HP and 5HP transmissions that had external TCMs, the Mechatronic adapts to one's driving style by adjusting gear shift speed, gear selection, etc. and it adapts for the changing characteristics of the fluid as it ages (slippage, viscosity, etc.). When the fluid is flushed, the Mechatronic will eventually re-adapt to the characteristics of the new fluid, but this process can be accelerated by clearing the old adaptations and giving the Mechatronic a fresh start from its central adaptations positions.

The erasable-programmable read-only memory (EPROM) in the Mechatronic is programmed with hardware-specific software called firmware. In order to resolve certain shifting issues that showed up early in the production of the X350, ZF/Jaguar issued updated firmware which can be written to the Mechatronic's EPROM.

Clearing the Mechatronic adaptations can be done with a dealer-level system such as SDD, but also possibly with a third-party scan tool such as an Autel MaxiSys or Autologic with the Jaguar package.

Updating the firmware requires an SDD or IDS package that has the additional calibration files. The only version I own that came with these files is SDD V131.03 and off the top of my head, the latest firmware is dated sometime in 2006. For some earlier vehicles such as a 2004 S-Type 3.0L I just serviced, this SDD package will revert to IDS, which can also update the firmware in the ZF 6HP26.

An adaptation drive cycle can be completed without SDD, but SDD has a routine with bar graphs that show when the solenoids are in the proper pressure ranges which expedites the process (though it can still take over an hour).

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 08-24-2019 at 11:40 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (09-22-2019), jerry_hoback (08-12-2019), MountainMan (12-21-2019), wwr (08-26-2019), XJRay (07-15-2020)
Old 08-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

Thanks Don. After spending the evening yesterday reading and re- reading various posts in this thread I think I could do it but for the computer oriented Voo Doo that we deal with nowadays (as you know this is normal for me). But if the car will relearn, I could certainly drive it for a While and let it do so. It's an amazing car with very few niggling problems. Also wondering off hand if there's an access in the trans hump to refill by the plug.... I don't want to just go tearing away as this is a low miles California car that has not ever been "messed with."

Old 08-24-2019, 09:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don, I just wanted to say thank you. This just might be the best how-to I've ever seen on any forum. Great solution to a common issue and you presented it extremely well.

Don B (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 11:55 PM

Hi white_fly,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us!

Thanks for your kind words about the DIY. I'm going to add some more additions to it soon.

When you get a chance, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

AD2014 (02-02-2020), MountainMan (12-21-2019), XJRay (07-15-2020)
Old 08-25-2019, 11:40 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Don. Great write up. I see you are in the "Beautiful Mid South". I'm in Saluda, NC. I've got 84k on my 06 VDP. Would you be interested in doing a transmission fluid flush for me?

Stephen

Old 08-25-2019, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by NCJagman
Hi Don. Great write up. I see you are in the "Beautiful Mid South". I'm in Saluda, NC. I've got 84k on my 06 VDP. Would you be interested in doing a transmission fluid flush for me?
Hi Stephen,

I have replied via PM.

Cheers,

Don

AD2014 (02-02-2020), MountainMan (12-21-2019), XJRay (07-15-2020)

Quick Reply: ZF 6HP26 / 28 Transmission Fluid Flush DIY