Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   1995 XJ6 rear struts ie shocks and springs (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/1995-xj6-rear-struts-ie-shocks-springs-214601/)

montoya66 03-03-2019 11:51 PM

1995 XJ6 rear struts ie shocks and springs

1995 XJ6 vin 734(xxx)
Hello I have 114K on this car and a sacked out suspension, but the car runs well, has plenty of power, and burns (almost) no oil..! -- so I'd like to repair.
I plan to replace front end parts including the front shocks with KYB which seems simple enough.
However on the rear we seem to have a different story.
Does this vin have self-leveling shocks/struts or the normal on the rear? If it may have either, how can I tell the difference?
I am looking at KYB gas adjust for the rear too, as I have had good experience with KYB in the past.
Looking to order W0133-1613225 struts the blurb says:
"Detailed Notes: The Jaguar Rear Self-Leveling Units can be eliminated by replacing them with KG9309 and KYB Conversion Kit #KIT109. Vehicles with totally worn-out self-leveling shocks may have fatigued rear springs. If necessary, Jaguar spring kit #JLM 11382 is required to restore the vehicle's proper ride height."
Okay so I read the above and got scared, since the JLM 11382 springs only fit models up to 1994 and not the 1995 of my vin
... so I'm wondering if these are even the correct rear struts?
I see there are other rear struts available for my vin? all very confusing.. ! any guidance here appreciated!
regards

Doug 03-03-2019 11:59 PM

No worries. Your car does not have adjustable suspension/shocks.

A lot of listings in spring/shock catalogs are messed up.

And, for the record, you don't have 'struts', either. You have shocks and springs.

Cheers
DD

montoya66 03-04-2019 12:35 AM

Yes my memory is at fault only had a gander under her skirt (of the car) just a few days ago. Parts book shows no spring perch on the shock, so the shock is just mounted inside the spring. and looks like a b&&tch to get off. By the way what do you think of replacing MMD3565AA * at this mileage? Also would Bilsteins be a waste over the KYB? I suspect the Bilsteins would last a little longer.
regards

* maybe that is for the 308 not the 300?

Robman25 03-04-2019 02:02 AM

Personally I would go with the Bilstiens over KYB any day.

Don B 03-05-2019 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by montoya66 (Post 2035031)
By the way what do you think of replacing MMD3565AA * at this mileage? Also would Bilsteins be a waste over the KYB? I suspect the Bilsteins would last a little longer.

Since the Jaguar engineers tuned the suspension to the OEM Bilstein shock absorbers/dampers, Bilsteins really are your best bet, and not expensive if you shop around. Each Bilstein comes with the nut, washers, lower spherical joint, and the two yellow foam cylindrical shock isolator bushings. The only other bushings you need are those large "donut" spring isolators you identified, part number MMD3565AA. These compress over time and you lose rear end ride height, often as much as 3/8" to 1/2". Our forum sponsors like SNG Barratt and Jagbits have the shocks and bushings, and you may also find them at Rock Auto (the Rein brand "Coil Spring Seat Insulator" bushings are the proper yellow foam rubber and are very affordable).

Removing and replacing the rear shocks is not as difficult as it looks. You typically don't even need a spring compressor. Remove the horizontal differential subframe A-plate, which is secured by several short hex head screws that thread up into the differential and front diff support frame. A few additional bolts along the front edge of the plate have nuts on their upper ends. With the subframe plate removed, remove the lower shock bolts and upper mounting nuts and just pull the control arms down enough to relieve all the tension on the springs. Run a long screwdriver through the bottom coils of the spring and through the lower shock bushing/spherical joint to hold the bottom end of the shock flush with the bottom end of the spring, which will help you work both the spring and shock up and over the spring retaining lip on the control arm.

Be sure to look up the correct torque specs for the upper mounting nuts (a fairly low torque, under 20 ft. lbs. IIRC) and the lower shock bolts (fairly high, over 120 ft. lbs. IIRC).

During reinstallation, get the shock and spring back into place, loosely fit the upper mounting plate nuts, then use a jack to raise the control arm enough to slide the lower shock bolt into place.

Cheers,

Don

annamiata 03-05-2019 08:39 PM

sacked out suspension? Please describe the issue in more detail. You might just need to replace the top foam bushing due to age. Replace rear shock is doable but it's not easy as Guru Don described. There is DIY video on youtube that you can view and study. They had car on lift. I watched but had to change shock at home with bunch of portable jacks. You will need spring compressor to replace foam bushing.