XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1995 XJ6 stops running.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 10:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1995 XJ6 stops running.

I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now. Joined this forum earlier today and a member gave me a little info that got me on the right track and I found the problem on our S-type. I really don't know why I waited so long to join.
I guess it's just the stubborn tech in me.

On to the issue at hand.
Some years back we purchased this 95 XJ6 for my wife. We just love this car. There is really nothing else like this. I still prefer the XJ over the S-type. Although the S-type is much easier to enter and exit.
Recently our XJ6 has been acting up. The car would start to loose power and then stop running. No engine codes. The engine would restart but then die within a few seconds.
The first thing I suspected was fuel delivery. I checked the fuel pressure regulator with a testing gauge and it holds a vacuum just fine.
I disconnected the fuel line and turned on the ignition. I have fuel flow through the line. I don't have a fuel pressure tester but there appeared to be sufficient flow.
So I re-attached the fuel line and the car started right up and kept running.
This seems to have the markings of a failing fuel pump.
I ordered a new fuel pump and have not yet installed it. It's one of those projects I wish I could keep putting off.
Anyone have any other possible causes, before I drop this fuel tank? I would just love to find the problem under the hood rather then under the car.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:48 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Hi Axle,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I have moved your post from the forum for the X350 to the forum for the X300, which is the Jaguar factory project code for your 1995 XJ6.

A good place to research possible causes of your issues would be this thread, compiled by our member aholbro1:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ngines-120221/

If you haven't already, check the X300 'HOW TO' quick links thread for a lot of very helpful documents, service manuals, etc. Also, you can download the 1995 Electrical Guide here, which contains all the schematics, as well as diagrams showing the locations of modules and relays:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1995.pdf

There are several possible causes of your symptoms in addition to a failing fuel pump. The fuel pump relay can begin to fail intermittently or corrosion can form in its socket. The crankshaft position sensor (CKPS) can cause weird problems when it begins to fail. The throttle position sensor (TPS) can also cause odd behaviors. I'm sure some of our knowledgeable X300 owners and Techs will have some good suggestions.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
Axle (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 11:12 PM
Received 125 Likes on 99 Posts

There are a few easy things to check with a multi meter first. Crank sensor (CS) is one, coolant sensor is another, on the thermostat housing. In back of the right headlight (passenger side USA) their are three relays. The outside relay has something to do with the computer. Switch one around to test, remembering which is which. If you ever need a fuel pump you don't have to drop the tank. You can remove the back seat & package shelf & carefully cut the shelf with a Dremal & cutoff wheel.
44lawrence

Axle (06-26-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 12:29 AM

44lawrence
In the past, I've had a error code for the air pump. I moved it's relay to a different location and the problem went away. I didn't see any other issues, so I thought perhaps it was just a bad connection. The thing is, if it was a sensor or computer. I would think that this would generate a error code. As I have mentioned. The car quits but there are no codes to follow. But you may be on to something.
Unless I know exactly where I would cut through the floor. I don't know about that.
I was hoping there was an access panel. I haven't looked yet.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:31 AM
Received 125 Likes on 99 Posts

I just went through the no starts, very hard starts, stalling. No codes shown. I didn't go into the computer though. A man on Jag Lovers Forum told me about the relay switching in back of the headlight. Took about 2mins. Problem solved !
There's No place to put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail !!! You must cut into the "rubber line" line somewhere. be prepared for leaks.
The check valve is part of the fuel pump. If you change the pump no need to worry about that. There's no access "door" in the rear shelf to get at the pump. I removed rear seat & leather shelf , this exposes the top of the tank & pump access. You must cut the "new door" . I made three 6" cuts with a Dremal cutoff wheel , bent the 6" sq up. After changing the pump , bend the 6" sq "new door" back in place. Screw the door down with small scrap & SHORT screws. Silicone all your work.
Its all self explanatory once you get the seat & shelf out. Dropping the tank ??? Read the process... No matter how you replace the pump this does take mechanical skill & common sense. In either case your working with a fuel tank.

Last edited by 44lawrence; 06-26-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Axle (06-26-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 10:06 PM

44lawrence
Thanks for the advice. It's going to a while before I get to this project. Your thoughts about the relay make sense and as I mentioned. I've moved those around before due to another issue. Maybe I should just order a few new relays.

There actually is a place to hook up a fuel pressure gauge. There is a fitting on the down flow side of the fuel regulator. I may just change the fuel pump just to eliminate it as cause of the problem and not worry about taking a pressure reading.
It wouldn't be the first fuel pump I've changed.