XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1996 xj6 will not start and will not shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 xj6 will not start and will not shift

The saga continues. I got a new battery for it but now it will not start at all.

When I turn the key all of the lights light up but I turn the key the rest of the way and I get no start. I used to get noise by the fuel rail and now I get nothing.

My transmission is also stuck in park. I had slipping on and off for about two months. Then it shifted out of park very hard one day and now it won't move at all. It is stuck in park.

I've checked all the obvious fuses. And I started looking at the relays but have no idea what is what. All I can think is that it could be the starter but after reading a lot of stuff here in the forums I'm thinking maybe it is the fuel pump as well.

As for the shifting I haven't the slightest idea. I've never had to do any transmission work before on an automobile. I've barely owned this car for a year and I'm really hoping it isn't shot.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Default m

I should also mention that even though it is stuck in park that the car is actually in neutral. I have to keep the parking brake on so it doesn't roll away.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-lock-101336/

Similar experience to you. I would pull off the leather rim to the J-gate and lever the silver pin in the post above to release the shift lock. My problem was mysteriously fixed when I was able to manually release the car into neutral and roll it a few feet under tow truck power (a good stiff push probably achieves the same thing, but what the hell do I know?).

I haven't had the problem since, but the reply to my post re: the fuel pump reset switch might also be something you want to try.

ETA: Oh, well then something with the shifter/transmission is probably F'd. My advice is probably not of much use.

The following users liked this post:
AmberJaguar (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 12:32 PM

Randy1, I will try this this evening....

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY MAGICAL MYSTERY BUTTONS AND LEVERS ON THIS CAR!?!?!?!?!

Old 09-03-2013, 02:44 PM

hi I dont think its anything engine side at al its to do with the shifter I had an xjr that some days wouldnt start wouldnt even tirn over I had to realy pull the gearstick to the right an it would start straight away when you go to start it tap the brake an you should hear a clicking at that shifter if not the solonoide is stuck

Old 09-04-2013, 04:17 PM

Here's my update: I dived head first into the center and got to the guts under the shifter. I found the shift lock and that was definitely part of the issue. I wiggled and wiggled and jiggled and got the shifter to move.

Tried starting it in Park and nothing. Moved knob down to Neutral and it fired right up. My transmission is not working at all in Park and I have to put on the parking brake. It is also not working at all in the first Drive. I have to use it in, sport mode?, and use the Drive on the left hand side of the shifter. But for now at least I don't have to throw a total tantrum...I don't even have this car paid off yet. >.<

Old 09-04-2013, 04:33 PM

It could be the gearbox controll unit

Old 09-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

You need the "P" to glow red before the car will start. That (electric) switch in the right side of the shift console is a part of that system and gives problems sometimes.

The transmission cable from the shifter might have come loose. Also there is a "rotary switch" (electric) mounted on the left side of the transmission on the mechanical cable attachment, which also controls the gear indicator. If that wears out you might not be able to get the right gear selection, hence using the shifter on the left side of the J, and not being able to engage Park.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by AmberJaguar

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY MAGICAL MYSTERY BUTTONS AND LEVERS ON THIS CAR!?!?!?!?!
It's a Jaguar! Part of its uniqueness and charm! But I definitely understand that uniqueness and charm only go so far when you are arguing with it!!