Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   1997 XJ6 Radio problem (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/1997-xj6-radio-problem-38379/)

Tijoe 06-24-2010 11:10 PM

1997 XJ6 Radio problem

My poor aging Jaguar. Recently my 1997 jaguar XJ6 has decided that when I start the engine, the radio freezes up and all the functions become locked. None of the buttons work. It becomes stuck on the last station it was set to and at the volume I was last listening at.

It has done this 3 times now, but worked normally today.

Anyone else ever have/hear of this problem?

Mekenik 06-24-2010 11:59 PM

apparently the problem is in the soldering from the ribbon to the face of the head unit.

aarondyer 01-04-2011 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tijoe (Post 217032)
My poor aging Jaguar. Recently my 1997 jaguar XJ6 has decided that when I start the engine, the radio freezes up and all the functions become locked. None of the buttons work. It becomes stuck on the last station it was set to and at the volume I was last listening at.

It has done this 3 times now, but worked normally today.

Anyone else ever have/hear of this problem?

Good Day!! Yes, I have the same problem with my Jag. It has been going on for about a year. Sometimes it lasts a day or two sometimes longer. This time going on 3 weeks. So is this something that can be fixed by us or do we have to take it to a mechanic? Also, just recently my seat and wheel stopped automatically adjusting when inserting the key. Ever had this problem?
Hhmm.
Look forward to hearing from you.

TopHatChef 01-04-2011 01:23 PM

I had the radio issue with my car. I found that the buttons unfroze when I inserted my cassette tape I use to play my MP3 player.

Tijoe 01-05-2011 09:44 AM

I am too lazy to look into the radio problem. Sometimes putting in a cassette works, sometimes it doesn't. One time I put in an children's story book cassette and it became stuck in and wouldn't eject at a very loud volume.

I found that if I take power from the car (remove positive battery cable) for a few minutes, it resets and works fine for a while.

- My driver seat stopped working about a year ago.

- My adjustable steering column only goes up and down. Forward and back makes a grinding sound and the column doesn't move.

Doug 01-05-2011 10:21 AM

These radios don't have a good reputation.

I'm 99% sure I (or somebody) posted the address and contact info for the Alpine repair station in New York. Searching "Alpine radio repair" would probably do the trick. They charge about $125 or so to fix whatever needs fixing.

Cheers
DD

Doug 01-05-2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tijoe (Post 288967)
- My adjustable steering column only goes up and down. Forward and back makes a grinding sound and the column doesn't move.

Sounds like the adjuster motor is working but the drive cable has broken. Common issue. Coventry West sells new drive cables.

Cheers
DD

ez64 01-05-2011 05:53 PM

Not much point in paying that much for a repair, just get a conversion cable to ISO and facia adaptor and install a decent modern headunit.

Even a modern sixth hand $30 headunit will produce better sound quality compared to the aged stock headunit that will need many more repairs down the line and eventually fail.

Miroxz 01-15-2011 10:25 PM

depends how "hardcore" you are....$for the original...then there is the lcd fading issue still.