XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1997 XJR Won't Turn Over and Limp Home Mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 XJR Won't Turn Over and Limp Home Mode

i just bought a 1997 xjr w 121,000 miles. cranked up and drove it home a 7 hour drive. two days later idle went rough as i tried to go to the market. got it home bucking as engine rpms were uneven. now the trans light is on the dash. key wont turn motor over. i can manually turn over by starter solenoid. cant figure out what went out of sync. tried inertia switch to no avail. ant sugg welcomed

Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Default trying to find an answer

Transmission stuck in some kind of mode . Car wont crank over tranny light still on. xjr inline 6 . Starter works fine manually. Turn key nothing

Old 10-06-2014, 07:49 PM

I have a 95 van dem plas . Should i swap tcm's to see if that would work?

Old 10-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Received 12,731 Likes on 6,376 Posts

Originally Posted by youngoxjr
Transmission stuck in some kind of mode . Car wont crank over tranny light still on. xjr inline 6 . Starter works fine manually. Turn key nothing

Hi youngoxjr,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your Jaguar. Hopefully some of our X300 experts will offer some helpful advice. In the meantime, here are some topics you might search on the forum for potential solutions:

Sometimes the transmission warning lamp will illuminate if the car has failed to start after cranking briefly. A common problem that prevents the engine from cranking is the Park-Neutral switch in the gear selector lever assembly. Sometimes you can get the car to start by wiggling the gear lever to ensure it is truly seated in Park, or starting the car with the gear selector in Neutral.

One of the most common causes of the transmission Limp Home Mode, which locks the transmission into 3rd gear to prevent internal gearbox damage, is a problem with the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Search this forum for more information.

However, off the top of my head, I don't think most TPS problems will prevent the engine from cranking, so after checking the gear shift lever, the next thing you might check is the inertia switch, which disables many of the car's systems in the event of a collision. I believe the switch on an X300 is located near the front outer corner of the passenger footwell. The switch can sometimes be tripped when the car goes over a sharp bump or even if a door is slammed too forcefully. Problems with the inertia switch are rare, but it's worth ruling out.

The ignition switch can develop intermittent problems with age. You can test the switch at its electrical connector, which is inside the steering column cowl.

Another possibility is that a problem with your key transponder has caused the security system to disable the car. Search the forum for symptoms of X300 security system, Security and Locking Control Module (SLCM), key transponder, etc.

Hopefully someone will know exactly what's going on.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
youngoxjr (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 06:19 AM
Default still workn on it

Thanks Don B. I ruled out a few of those issues ,inertia reset. gear shifter n car both switches and solenoids move smoothly. i tried to put the shifter n several diff positions but no crank. An update is I dont have a fob .So everything I do is w the keys {green and black}. When I set the alarm the car only beeps once. Usually its the beep then a hi pitched chirp to follow. Now just the one beep. Also if I turn the igntion on and manually trip the starter the motor doesnt start it only turns over.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

i tried to put the shifter n several diff positions but no crank.

When you put the gearshift in Park does the "P" glow red? Starter won't operate unless it does.

If no red glow in "P" then your gearhshift linear switch needs adjusting

Cheers
DD

youngoxjr (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 07:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

I've moved your question from New Member Area - Intro a MUST to X300 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

youngoxjr (10-08-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 12:40 PM

Great news. My kitten is back up and purring . Blown 10a Fuse in the pass side engine bay. THanks for all the posts that got me in the right direction. Trans light is still on she don't want to shift gears. Sounds like some trash in the fuel filter . The first time I drove her down the street she went smooth but no shift. Wn I got back and restarted it idle sounded rough. I'm thinking filter. Driver side rear wheel rite? I'm just so happy she's cranking .Been a rough couple days tryn to explain to the Mrs how I know a real automobile wn I see one and all it did was make t home. I'll get gravy on my biscuits tonite!!!!

Old 10-07-2014, 12:48 PM

She's back purring. 10a fuse in engine bay was the problem. Working on the trans light issue now. Fluid level looks goods warm in park. I tried a swap w my 95 vdp ecu in the front pass side panel but it didnt make a diff. One says sc the other n/a. any suggestions ?

Old 10-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

The ECU is interchangeable across the xj (x300) range but not with the supercharged models, ie; sc as opposed to naturally aspirated, ie; na.

youngoxjr (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

As already said the TCM and ECM are different on the SC model. This has the GM 480LE transmission as opposed to the ZF transmission of the other models.

Do you have access to a basic OBD2 code reader, with this you should be able to pull some fault codes.

Fluid changes are however important, have the intervals been kept up?

I had trouble with mine not long after I bought my XJR, the fluid was not good, very dirty. I changed the filter and probably changed the fluid about 5 times to get it clean as you can only get about 5 litres max out at a time.

Even though I did this I still ended up having to replace shift solenoid B but to be on the safe side I replaced both.

youngoxjr (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 04:21 PM

Great news. My kitten is back up and purring . Blown 10a Fuse in the pass side engine bay. THanks for all the posts that got me in the right direction. Trans light is still on she don't want to shift gears. Sounds like some trash in the fuel filter.

Hi youngoxjr,

Glad you're making progress. Regarding the transmission warning lamp still being illuminated and the transmission locked in 3rd gear, that is called Limp Mode or Limp Home Mode (LHM), and as I think I mentioned in another thread, one of the common causes of LHM is a problem with the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) which is a critical component referenced by both the Engine Control Module (ECM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM) for determining gear shift points. Sometimes the problem is as simple as oil contamination of the electrical connector. Sometimes a "dead" spot wears into the resistance trace in the TPS (which is a potentiometer). Search this forum for TPS for lots of info.

Keep us informed!

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
MountainMan (10-09-2014), youngoxjr (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 05:20 PM

1316 1777 0302 THese are the codes coming up now. my obd-II says 0302 is a cylinder 2 misfire. working on the others now. I read ware OBD-II codes vary from jaguar codes

Old 10-07-2014, 05:21 PM

Also locating TPS now

Old 10-07-2014, 05:54 PM

I defiiniitely appreciate all the help and am working on it as we speak. My tcm from my 95 vdp doesn't even plug in to the 97xjr. Didnt see any Broken wires on either side of the tranny. Two conn on drivers side one in rear on pass back side. Both seem in tack. How do i locate the TPS to check the conn

Old 10-07-2014, 05:56 PM

i've got codes 1777 0302

Old 10-07-2014, 10:39 PM

My tcm from my 95 vdp doesn't even plug in to the 97xjr. Didnt see any Broken wires on either side of the tranny. Two conn on drivers side one in rear on pass back side. Both seem in tack. How do i locate the TPS to check the conn

Hi youngoxjr,

The TPS is Part 2 in the diagram below. It is mounted on the Throttle Body (TB):

If cleaning the TPS electrical connector doesn't do the trick, search this forum for the procedure for testing the TPS.

I believe your '95 Vanden Plas should have the ZF 4HP24 transmission. The troubleshooting guide at the link below was written for the late XJ40s, which have the same gearbox. Some of the details may not apply to your '95, but the procedures will give you an idea of how to rule out potential causes of LHM:

Jag-lovers' Ebooks

Here are photos of some of the relevant components on our '93. I know our gearboxes are similar, but I don't know if you will have all of the same auxilliary components shown in these albums:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

On our '93, the only time LHM has not been caused by oil contamination of the TPS electrical connector, it was caused by a cold solder joint on a circuit board inside the TCM. The photos at this link detail the repair. Since you have access to your TCM, it would be worth opening it up and checking for cold or starved solder joints:

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 10-07-2014 at 11:13 PM.
youngoxjr (10-08-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 11:29 PM

i've got codes 1777 0302

P0302 is a common code that indicates a misfire in cylinder 2. You might try swapping the ignition coil with another cylinder to see if the misfire moves with it. The spark plug could be fouled or oil may have seeped down the threads where it can interfere with the ground connection between the plug and the cylinder head.

I don't have the X300 Workshop Manual so I don't know if this is true for your car, but a quick google search for P1777 comes up with Ignition Retard Request Circuit Fault. Perhaps one of our members with the manual can tell you for certain. Here's the website I found with the quick google:

Jaguar Check Engine Light DTC Trouble Codes

BTW, the X300 Service Manual and other references are available on DVD for reasonable prices from the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust (jdht.com or jaguarheritage.com). Many additional helpful documents are available for download at this forum in the X300 'HOW TO' quick links near the top of the home page of this X300 forum, including the Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC), which you can download and install on your computer to look up parts diagrams and part numbers. Many other documents are available at jagrepair.com.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
MountainMan (10-09-2014), youngoxjr (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 AM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

........ I read ware OBD-II codes vary from jaguar codes
YES - generic code lookups can be misleading.

Always better to refer to the Jaguar DTC listing. Here's the one for the 1996/97 AJ16:

AJ16_1996_97.pdf

The 'Possible Causes' column is useful.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
al_roethlisberger (10-08-2014), MountainMan (10-09-2014), youngoxjr (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 AM

Thanks Don B

I will be opening it up today and check for any damage or contaminants. Didn't think to do it wn I had if off the car the other day. Changed that fuel filter and shes really smoothing out her idle . The old filter I could barely blow thru it. SC runs smooth no rattles or noises. I love this XJR

Quick Reply: 1997 XJR Won't Turn Over and Limp Home Mode