XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

95-97 XJR significant model year differences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question 95-97 XJR significant model year differences?

Hi,

Along with a Series III, I am also looking at possibly purchasing a 95-97 XJR.

In looking at the specs, they seem relatively identical, although some things like the lack of a glove box on early 1995 models comes to mind.

But I have noticed that there are other differences, which I assume may be attributed to trim levels?

For example, some XJRs have the black wood panels, while others have the typical wood trim. Some have wood applied to the instrument panel like a VDP, where others do not. Some have the center console extension into the back seating area like VDP, others again not.

So I was wondering if anyone could list off any significant/noticeable differences between the 95-97 XJR and/or if one model year may be preferable over another in this series?

One might assume that the last year, 1997, would be the most mature and therefore best to have... but I've found that is not always necessarily true

Thanks!
Al

Old 04-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
For example, some XJRs have the black wood panels, while others have the typical wood trim. Some have wood applied to the instrument panel like a VDP, where others do not. Some have the center console extension into the back seating area like VDP, others again not.

I *think* all the items you mentioned were 1997 MY things. Not 100% sure, though.

So I was wondering if anyone could list off any significant/noticeable differences between the 95-97 XJR and/or if one model year may be preferable over another in this series?

There are a slew of minor changes that most people would enver notice. Slightly thicker door glass starting in '96, along with some minor wiring changes.....stuff like that. I have a tech guide somewhere that lists 'em all but I don't recall anything significant enough to prefer one year over another.

One might assume that the last year, 1997, would be the most mature and therefore best to have... but I've found that is not always necessarily true

The only thing I would *hope* for is that the later cars has a more mature OBD II diagnostics system. The 1995 cars, at least, were a bit flakely in this area....sometimes frustratingly so. Perhaps someone who has experience with all three model years can comment.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 04-02-2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: nothing important
Old 04-02-2014, 04:14 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

The only difference that I've encountered between my donor car, (97 xj6) and my daily driver (96 xj6) is that the wheel speed sensors are different. The 96 MY are longer and metallic, whereas the 97 are shorter, black plastic. Given the different lengths, it begs the question then, is there a difference in the reluctor ring to facilitate this, or do the sensors compensate accordingly?

Otherwise, I can't think of a whole lot of difference between the 96 and 97 although as mentioned, the early 95 My didn't have a glove box.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

I think most of the changes had to do with the introduction of the LWB version in the 96MY. Of course that would not affect the XJR.

Early XJR's did not have an EGR system, I believe this was introduced late 95MY or 96MY? This necessitated a change in the design of the exhaust manifold heat shield the finish of which was changed from chrome to a flat aluminium look.

Some late model versions had a much more complicated twin canister evap system but not sure if that applied to all models or just XJ6?

Also in 96MY car onwards the valve timing was changed to improve engine idle, again not sure if this was on NA engines only or not?

There were various running changes to the ECM software but it's hard to know what and when.

A small additional difference was the deletion of the passenger door key lock.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the replies. I guess with any lower volume model, it is hard to track all the changes without a lot of research. Sounds like there isn't much of major significance though so far.

As an aside, any concerns about the 95-97 XJR as a daily driver, about 100 miles a day?

Thanks again.
Al

Old 04-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

My 95 xjr6 does not have an egr valve, this i prefer as its just one less problem to deal with and it makes it a bit easier to remove the sc.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the replies. I guess with any lower volume model, it is hard to track all the changes without a lot of research. Sounds like there isn't much of major significance though so far.

As an aside, any concerns about the 95-97 XJR as a daily driver, about 100 miles a day?
I think it all depends on how well the car has been maintained during it's life and how you continue to maintain it. Certainly a well cared for example would make an excellent and reliable daily driver but one that has not been taken care of properly can be a money pit.

In Oct I bought a 95 VDP from a chap near you in Durham NC. The car had a lot of problems, some minor some major and it has taken me 6 months and a lot of man hours to get it close to done. Luckily virtually all the spare parts I needed came with the car and I did all the work myself which was enjoyable and cheap!! It now rides like new and once I get the last little engine vibration dealt with, I'll be satisfied.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

I've used mine as a DD for 8 years now, the last 5 years or so @65 miles/day.

I've had my share of problems with the car but it has *never* failed to start, get me to my destination, and return me safely back home. Never been stuck by the side of the road, never been on the back of a tow truck. About 156k miles on it now.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Thanks again, all good info.

I certainly don't mind working on or maintaining a car, just as long as it inherently isn't a poor design or money pit from the start. Certainly some generations of Jaguars (and many other cars) do have that issue, and it becomes a nightmare.... or passion...... depending on how you look at it

However, although I do have a lot of passion for various cars and motorcycles and as such don't mind projects and tinkering, this car would need to be less a LABOR of love and more of a driver! So relability, durability with reasonable maintenance expectations is what I would look for. It doesn't have to be Toyota Camry reliable, but... well you get it

I drive nothing but older low mileage cars that I try to pick up for a song, as I drive 112 miles roundtrip to work each day at a minimum so I won't sink a car payment into a car that will pile on the miles. As such my 95 Buick Roadmaster that I bought with 55k miles now has 170k a few years later, and the 95 Buick Riviera (Also Eaton supercharged) I towed out of a cow pasture with 43k miles last year is already up to 65k miles.

Both have needed a fair amount of maintenance such as fuel pumps, minor suspension refreshes, brakes, A/C work, window lift repairs, etc... but that's to be expected in any machine going on 20 years old, and its still far cheaper to put $1000/yr into them than buying a new one (and I don't really even put that much into them once they are squared away).

If the 95-97 XJR falls into that category of normally just needing typical aging car maintenance, then I'm OK with that.

Now, if this model had an inherently bad engine or transmission that grenades predictably at 85k miles, or such back electrics that one can expect most of the accessories to quit after 15 years.... well that's a different story. So far it sounds like this generation doesn't have that reputation though

Al

Old 04-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
I've used mine as a DD for 8 years now, the last 5 years or so @65 miles/day.

I've had my share of problems with the car but it has *never* failed to start, get me to my destination, and return me safely back home. Never been stuck by the side of the road, never been on the back of a tow truck. About 156k miles on it now.

Cheers
DD
156k miles and never towed... that's a pretty good endorsment

Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

The only major-ish problem I've had is a noisy differential at just 75k miles. I replaced it with a rebuilt unit.

I think the design is just barely up to the task with the output of supercharged engine....and since I've never been bashful about 'giving 'er the boot' I think I pushed it over the edge.

Although diff problems on the X300s are not unheard of, supercharged or normally aspirated, I think mine was an unusual/isolated failure at that mileage.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
The only major-ish problem I've had is a noisy differential at just 75k miles. I replaced it with a rebuilt unit.

I think the design is just barely up to the task with the output of supercharged engine....and since I've never been bashful about 'giving 'er the boot' I think I pushed it over the edge.

Although diff problems on the X300s are not unheard of, supercharged or normally aspirated, I think mine was an unusual/isolated failure at that mileage.

Cheers
DD

Thanks Doug, I've been sitting up reading a number of your replies/thread for folks looking at this generation XJR. Very helpful information.

Out of curiosity, what did a rebuilt diff and the intercooler pump cost you, and how hard was it to install. ....just trying to baseline some of these types of repairs on these cars.

Also noticed your replaced both exhaust manifolds. Do they tend to crack? They do for example on my 95 supercharged Riviera.

Reading about your coil adventures in another thread now

Al

Old 04-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I'm sure I uploaded all the X300 Tech Guides to the large file area years ago.

There are 4 that I know of.

XJ and XJS 96MY Update_jjm18159960

XJ Sedan 95MY Intro_jjm10151250

XJ Sedan 95MY Supp_jjm18151255

XJ Sedan 96MY Tech Guide_jjm18151257tg

They are all .pdf

The upgrades and differences are all noted in the MY changes.

bob gauff

Old 04-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Bob, great info.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Doug, I've been sitting up reading a number of your replies/thread for folks looking at this generation XJR. Very helpful information.

Thanks and you're welcome

Out of curiosity, what did a rebuilt diff and the intercooler pump cost you, and how hard was it to install. ....just trying to baseline some of these types of repairs on these cars.

Pump- about $100

Differential- From nothing more than pure Irish luck was able to get a rebuilt differential from an Ebay liquidator for $400, including shipping. I was actually a unit from Coventry West---one of the bigger, better known Jag rebuilders---that would normally sell for about twice that much.

A long, dirty Saturday of DIY labor to install

Also noticed your replaced both exhaust manifolds. Do they tend to crack? They do for example on my 95 supercharged Riviera.

Yes, prone to cracking

Reading about your coil adventures in another thread now

Gah! What a nightmare. Hopefully you now know what to look for when the time comes to buy replacements...and it's virtually certain you'll have to sooner of later

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 04-03-2014 at 09:27 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

Ah, those are pretty reasonable costs actually. Not too terribly "exotic"

Old 04-04-2014, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member

Ah, those are pretty reasonable costs actually. Not too terribly "exotic"
New exhaust manifolds are a bit pricey, probably $400-500 each new + shipping (they're heavy buggers). You can find lots of used ones but it I can be difficult to find them without cracks and holes!! Most people have a hard time trying to repair them by welding and the cold weld remedies like Quiksteel or JB weld do not seem to last very long.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Common faults -X300

I bought my X300 over a year ago. I read an article in Go LPG concerning common faults. Ref http://www.go-lpg.co.UK/X300_faults.html I think this is a good place to start. My experience says add in boots falling to open and steering tilt/reach concerns.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

All great info, thanks so much. I did a search for "XJR" in this forum and have been reading through a lot of the posts. So far the common failures don't seem to be anything worse than any other make/model of car, especially of this age. In fact, they seem pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.