XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

95 XJ6 AC repair by me or not by me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 95 XJ6 AC repair by me or not by me?

I got my '95 XJ6 a couple of months ago & I've been straightening out a few things. The car has 75k miles on it. Now it's time to do the AC. I bought the car as a do-it-yourself project car so I'd like to do as much as I can myself. I have some skills. I've just never done any auto AC work.

The obvious fault with the system is a bad compressor clutch. It is shorted. The hub has copper shavings around the body of the compressor so I concluded that the compressor seized, burning up the clutch. This conclusion lead me to purchase a new compressor, accumulator/drier, & expansion valve. The accumulator and the exp. valve must be replaced and a work-order for a system flush must be verifiable to validate the compressor warranty.

After getting the parts I did some research into doing the work & I now know that the replacement of the expansion valve requires removal of the dashboard. I want to “do it right” so I contacted the local AC shop to discuss the project. I was planning to have them depressurize the system. I'd replace the components to the point where they would do a system flush. I was planning to complete the install & follow-up by them drawing it down & recharging it.

The first thing the manager asked me is “ Can you tell me that there has never been any sealant added to the system?” I told him that I can't guarantee that because I bought the car in this condition. He refused to service it! They will not service any car where the history is not totally clear. (the sealant ruins their equipment). I haven't ruled out trying another shop but it has me thinking about changing my attack.

I'm thinking about buying a flush kit, gauges, & a vacuum pump & having at it. I'm not going to let the warranty on the compressor be the deciding factor in my decision making process. I want to approach the project with the goal of getting a good repair to the system. I'm open to shortcuts that don't jeopardize the original goal.

One question I have is; can you flush the evaporator with the expansion valve in place? (possible big shortcut, gamble that the expansion valve is OK (see dashboard above))

On the “Four Seasons” web site, in one of their videos there was a statement that said many new condensers can not be flushed due to the smallness of the passageways. Does this pertain to my condenser (I doubt it)?

Any sage advice is welcome and appreciated.
Ned Sweeney

Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Update:
I did it myself. Jiffy-lube depressurized the system for free! I checked the output line from the compressor & it was free from any debris so I gambled. I replaced the compressor, flushed the hoses, replaced the accumulator/drier, replaced all seals & O-rings. I bought a gage set & a 2-stage vacuum pump. I sucked it down for 1-1/2 hours, after which it held vacuum for > 15 minutes with no loss. I refilled the system & voila!! A/C!!!