XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

'96 sunroof parts needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 sunroof parts needed

I am in need of the small plastic pieces which allow the smaller interior sunroof piece to move. One side of mine is broken. I have two used sunroof rail pieces but they did not come with these pieces. I tried Jagbits, (that was the source of the used rails, but they do not have them). Anyone have any ideas where to source them? My plan is to redo the headliner at the same time.
Thanks
Ed

Old 10-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts
Old 10-11-2017, 01:39 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
Are these the items ? Should be the same as X308s and may find some resources in that area of website
All X300/X308 sliding roof parts are the same from 1995MY to 2003MY
I don't know if you can get JUST the plastic piece that connects the interior sliding 'drip-tray' to the tilt/slide mechanism in the tracks. It was always sold as a complete unit LEFT or RIGHT.

When I worked at the dealer I thought it was stupid to replace the entire tilt/slide LH or RH but that is what we had to do.

I saved all the good used ones that I got from otherwise broken mechanisms. They are long since installed in other cars.

bob

The following users liked this post:
Lady Penelope (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Left side # HNA1753AA

Right side # HNA1752AA

Might be possible to repair the original broken plastic pieces with some high quality JB Weld 2 part adhesive with the use of some embedded threads for some added tensile strength . You can play with it before sourcing a replacement part . Ensure you sand the original part surface for better adhesion and if you apply too much materiel it simply sands of files off just keep the reinforcing threads close to the original material by maneuvering with a toothpick . Notice the different cure times as the yellow one sets too fast to maneuver your repair around . The full cure time is important in that from experience this completes the original surface adhesion ( and can be used as a early release time if you are molding something )

Take pictures and will help many if successful

Attached Thumbnails '96 sunroof parts needed-71efr-so67l._sy355_.jpg   '96 sunroof parts needed-51f3war6q5l._ac_ul320_sr208-320_.jpg  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 10-11-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:05 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Sunroof

My 97 donor car has a sunroof but my daily driver doesn't. So, I have all of the parts available, except for a module which I sent off to another forum member.

If you can post a pic of the parts you need, just so I can recognise them, I'll dig them out. Pm me an address and I can pop them in the post. You're more than welcome to them and maybe you'd care to give a few dollars to some charity of worthwhile cause of your choosing?

Scotlad (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 01:49 PM

This is the piece I need, the one on the other side is broken, (the portion with the bracket w/hole), the rear piece is the small rear portion of the sunroof. I am not sure this is included in the replacement rail assembly?

Old 10-13-2017, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

Below is a pic using paint putting in arrows in the area of interest . Mine is out of rig in that the top panel is 1/2 inch from closing as the previous owner had sealed it shut with sealer . I put the my sunroof on hold but decided to open that can of worms to repair it together . My motors do move the side rail parts around but come to a interference stop as they hit . It is suppose to rain heavily here Saturday and my pipes are off and and car outside so let me remove the headliner tonight to get my eyeballs on it then cover .

I will modify your pics as we go through this
Attached Thumbnails

Attached Thumbnails '96 sunroof parts needed-x300-sunroof-img_0779_c9208f69b2e0b6603d84a8a6e58800221413cba8.jpg  
Old 10-14-2017, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member

My inner panel is missing as the previous owner didn't have a clue and just punted . Along with the panel missing is the sliding rail (F ) I assume with the attach point ( E ) you say is broken on yours . I do have the metal arm it attaches to . Will have to source some parts before proceeding . Kept it sealed and looked from the bottom and this reference pic is from someone else

For yourself you might find the correct size brass tubing from a model airplane shop to be used as a bushing and build up the rest with the epoxy shown above . You can use a wooden dowel to line the bushing correctly and I would not expect to fully glue it up in one setting but just a tack to position the bushing in place and then fill in the rest of the pivot point void in later steps . With this you can use the short time cure as the longer will run all over the place before the set time before the complete cure time .

Let me know how it is cracked behind the pivot point and we'll see if a repair can be mapped out

Being out of alignment may be what caused it to break and is addressed in Jaguar TSB below :

I will be looking for a outer seal before I paint her if anyone knows a source HNA-1727-AE Sunroof Seal, 96- on ? Found it below :

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/part/HNA1727AE

Attached Thumbnails '96 sunroof parts needed-x300-sunroof-img_8462_1.jpg  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 10-14-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member

Bob Gauff put together all these TSB's :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...j6-x300-52051/

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 10-14-2017 at 02:26 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by epreusser

This is the piece I need, the one on the other side is broken, (the portion with the bracket w/hole), the rear piece is the small rear portion of the sunroof. I am not sure this is included in the replacement rail assembly?
That shouldn't be a problem. I can send both sides, as I should have them both. No harm to have a spare! As for the rear panel you mention, can you clarify this? Is it the inner roof/ceiling panel? The one that sometimes goes astray up inside the roof cavity?

From memory, I thought this panel was fitted at the front end of the opening. I could be wrong on the wrong track entirely. Let me know and I will get it sorted.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

I am in need of the small plastic pieces which allow the smaller interior sunroof piece to move. .....
Welcome to the forum epreusser,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 10-16-2017, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by sogood
That shouldn't be a problem. I can send both sides, as I should have them both. No harm to have a spare! As for the rear panel you mention, can you clarify this? Is it the inner roof/ceiling panel? The one that sometimes goes astray up inside the roof cavity?

From memory, I thought this panel was fitted at the front end of the opening. I could be wrong on the wrong track entirely. Let me know and I will get it sorted.
Yes, it it the small panel which sometimes goes into the rear of the roof. The panel is in the rear not front of the sunroof opening. My address is
Ed Preusser
667 rt 9d
Garrison NY 10524
USA

THANKS!

Old 10-17-2017, 01:05 PM
Default Sunroof parts

Yes, it it the small panel which sometimes goes into the rear of the roof. The panel is in the rear not front of the sunroof opening. My address is
Ed Preusser
667 rt 9d
Garrison NY 10524
USA

THANKS!
Just want to clarify things before I put anything in the post. I've attached pics of the two brackets/clips that you enquired about. Hope they do the job. On one of them, you might notice a small part of the tang on top is broken off, but this didn't seem to impact in any way. I've also included a pic of the part of the sunroof panel, which I think is what you need. You might just confirm same before I post them and if there are any other bits of the roof set up that I can post, let me know.

I'll sit tight until I hear from you and then they'll be on the way.

Attached Thumbnails '96 sunroof parts needed-20171017_172345.jpg   '96 sunroof parts needed-20171017_164519.jpg  
someguywithajag (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 01:08 PM

Yes, those are the pieces I need, the long panel I am not in need of. Thank you SOOO MUCH!

Old 10-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sogood
Just want to clarify things before I put anything in the post. I've attached pics of the two brackets/clips that you enquired about. Hope they do the job. On one of them, you might notice a small part of the tang on top is broken off, but this didn't seem to impact in any way. I've also included a pic of the part of the sunroof panel, which I think is what you need. You might just confirm same before I post them and if there are any other bits of the roof set up that I can post, let me know.

I'll sit tight until I hear from you and then they'll be on the way.
I wish I had someone like you when I broke my sunroof

I scoured many a junkyard and asked a lot of people on eBay but I couldn't find one. I eventually did get a hold of one by buying an entire sunroof.

Anyway, now that I have them, do you know how to properly set the sunroof back? I put in those black bits by partially removing the headliner but the sunroof itself is not set properly. So I can't open or close it. I ended up just disconnecting the motor until I found a solution...

Old 10-17-2017, 02:45 PM

Yes, those are the pieces I need, the long panel I am not in need of. Thank you SOOO MUCH!
That makes life simple! I can pop them in a jiffy bag tomorrow and send them on their way. Let us know when they arrive and hopefully you'll have lots of opportunities to enjoy your sunroof. Here in Ireland it's as much a luxury as air con!

Old 10-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

It may be in the TSB unless there is a quick and dirty . Adjustment is probably the reason the points failed

Old 10-17-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
It may be in the TSB unless there is a quick and dirty . Adjustment is probably the reason the points failed
I looked thru a few of them but I couldn't find one that gave a procedure. Do you have one in mind?

Old 10-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

No , someone else may post being I need it also

Old 10-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

From a X308 post which is the same :

PS - the original post also includes links to Lincoln LS parts to replace broken sunroof sliding mechanism and How-To by Ragsman, which can save you about $1,000 in labor.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...properly-4140/

And the larger post :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...solved-185342/