XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

'96 sunroof parts needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 04:43 PM
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Thaks for that but I was more looking for a procedure to set the metal roof on the railing properly. I took the whole thing apart to slide in those pieces (I didn't have too but I did it anyway)...

Old 10-18-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by epreusser
Yes, those are the pieces I need, the long panel I am not in need of. Thank you SOOO MUCH!
Just to let you know that those parts went in the post today.
Good luck with your fix.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:32 AM
Default Sunroof

Hi ed. Just wondering if you got those parts yet. They should have arrived with you by now as they were sent back in mid October. Hope they haven't gone astray!

Old 11-11-2017, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Sogood,
I have just spotted this thread, and was wondering whether you still had the sunroof panel itself, and whether it is in good condition?
Mine has tinworm, and my previous attempt to eradicate it has not worked. Replacement now seems the best option, and if you were in a position to sell yours, I would be interested.
Many thanks.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:00 AM
Default Panel

Yes I still have the panel. It had a tiny bit of rust on one corner that I repaired ( just as a trial run ) and it's still in good shape. You're welcome to it free gratis , but I don't know what postage might cost. Where are you based ?

Old 11-12-2017, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member

Sogood,
That is a very kind offer, and is much appreciated. I live in Edinburgh, and if you could PM me please once you know what shipping costs might be, we can discuss how best I can reimburse them to you.
With many thanks.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:33 AM

Will look into that in the next day or two. I used to travel to Edinburgh on a regular basis in the past, driving tour coaches. I've since changed companies and my tours are confined to Ireland now. Life is sometimes all about timing ! Will keep you posted.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:57 AM

Hi countryjag. I costed the postage on that sunroof panel and the weight of it doesn't help. The cheapest way to post it costs €44.00. I don't know what that equates to in Sterling but I'll leave it with you to decide what you want to do. You may find one local to you that's more cost effective. Ok?

Old 11-17-2017, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member

Sogood,
Thank you very much for looking into the postage cost, and for your very kind offer. I havent tried to source one locally yet, beyond establishing that Jaguar classic parts are out of stock. I should probably do that as the next step, but thank you again.
Be sure to let me know if your travels bring you back to this part of the world, so I can thank you properly.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:32 AM

If I ever get that way again, I'll be sure to bring it with me ! Unfortunately , I can't see that happening any day soon.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just adding my two cents worth.

My Fathers XJ12 had exactly the same issue you describe, very common problem.

Whilst in the process of changing the headliner (as you need to drop the headliner to get access to the sunroof mechanism and slide the brackets out). I decided to see if I could repair them.

There is a lot of stress on those brackets as the spring mechanism is very strong (try putting you finger under one of the metal arms and you'll see how much force is needed to make them move). I think with age and dirt on the sliding mechanism they simply give up and break.

I tried repairing them with adhesive and also a plastic putty type repair but the load on them is too much and they broke again within a week.

So the idea I had was to model them in CAD and I got them produced by a 3D printer company in the UK. I removed all the little cutouts from the original design to try and make it stronger and I received them in about four weeks (there was a delay in production but no big deal). They are a powdered resin printing process so very strong (stronger than nylon for example). You could also have them printed in metal I suppose although they would badly mark the rails.

Cost me £45 in total as the minimum order is £40. Got two pairs in case anything went wrong.

I had to do some work on them with a Dremel as where I'd reinforced them (so to speak) the sunroof mechanism was hitting them slightly. I then sprayed them with some matt black to finish.

I then had to spend some time running them backwards and forwards with some oil on the rail to get them to run smoothly, but all in all they are perfect and are much stronger than the originals.

I meant to put a write up on here (which I will at some point) with a slightly modified CAD model that you could download and print yourself if you wanted to do the same.

I did think about selling pairs on EBay as parts but with the work I had to do to get them to slide smoothly I can see people moaning. haha

On a side note, make sure you apply some sealant to the rubber bungs on the end of the sunroof rails as they leak badly if they are not sealed properly. Amazing just how much water drips from these things when it rains, no wonder the headliners rot the way they do.

EDIT: BTW yes you are right. The brackets don't come by themselves, only as part of the sunroof mechanism.

Last edited by Andrew Harper; 11-20-2017 at 07:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Andrew Harper:
b1mcp (11-20-2017), Tony Murnion (01-16-2021)
Old 11-20-2017, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I was wondering Sogood, if you had any more of the plastic clips/slides for the sunroof to buy. Its the same two pieces you sent to Ed in New York. If not, do you know ANY place I may get them? Thanks.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:20 AM

Hi and greetings. I only had the one pair of clips , surplus from my donor car. My daily doesn't have a sunroof. I sent those off back in mid October and haven't heard anything since. Maybe they're still out there in the great unknown ! Sorry I can't be of help.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:25 AM

I'm just resurrecting this old thread to have a minor rant of sorts. Over time, I have sent various Jag parts to various members on the forums. These would be parts from my donor car which I would never have a use for, as it's a 3.2 with a sunroof and my daily driver is a 4.0l without a sunroof. So many bits are no use to me.

I've been happy to send these parts, free gratis and I've covered the postage on the understanding that the recipient might donate a small sum to a worthwhile charity or cause of their choosing.

I don't look for anything out of the transaction, except perhaps recognition or confirmation of receipt of the actual parts. Despite one or two queries to the original poster, I have not heard a word, so I don't know if they ever got the parts. Other posters have been on to me looking for the same bits, and it bothers me that someone who might have been a little more appreciative might have benefitted, as opposed to someone who disappears without a word.

So, if someone does you a good turn, don't forget to say "thanks" as the vast majority of those on here do. Forums like this are communities, lets not lose that quality. And a Happy New Year to all.

The following 2 users liked this post by sogood:
GGG (12-28-2017), Scotlad (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 09:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by sogood
..... So, if someone does you a good turn, don't forget to say "thanks" as the vast majority of those on here do. Forums like this are communities, lets not lose that quality. .....
How rude and ungrateful.

I hope the sunroof was the only fault on the vehicle as you are unlikely to be so magnanimous again!

Graham