XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

96 xj6 No power

Old 08-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 96 xj6 No power

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to the site and brand new to jaguars. I recently aquired a 1996 jaguar xj6. The car is in excellent condition and it was given to me by a family friend. A little back story on the car. The car was owned by the husband of the lady that gave it to me. He passed away a year ago and she didn't drive the car very often. I drove the car to my house and put it in park. Just before shutting the car off I noticed smoke coming from under the hood. It was the alternator. So I turned the car off. I went out today to get started removing the alternator and I noticed I had no power in the car. I checked the battery and its connections and hooked it back up. The lights came on in the trunk and the door chimes when open or with the key in the ignition but other than that there is no power anywhere in the car. Could someone please attempt to help me out here im at a loss.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Brandon! Make sure you stop by the new members area and post an introductory note for a proper welcome and also to nab the attention of a moderator who will upgrade you to full member status when the pre-req's have been completed.

Congrats on your great fortune, to have obtained a fine motorcar sans capital outlay. Beware the old adage, "The most expensive Jag is the free one!"

As to your problem, I suppose the alternator going up in smoke may've also relieved some key control modules of their "Magic Smoke" as well, but I'd start with the basics:
Download the appropriate electrical guide from the stickies and methodically work your way through the power feed and earth connections (they are legion). Pay particular attention to the bonding strap between engine block and frame.

You say you checked it.... but I should caution you, these cars will simply not abide a "part-time" or less than fully ready all-the-time battery.

Your description of items that work sounds like knackered connections as the trickle-current items are functional, but when more is demanded, it all goes wrong.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,047 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Just to save you hunting, here is the electrical guide for your car: http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1996.pdf

Agreed, the computers in these cars do not like anything less than full battery charge. That being said, there shouldn't be smoke from the alternator. How many miles are on the car? Is it possible the alternator bearings have seized? Is the belt ok, or was that what made the smoke?

Old 08-07-2016, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
Just to save you hunting, here is the electrical guide for your car: http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1996.pdf

Agreed, the computers in these cars do not like anything less than full battery charge. That being said, there shouldn't be smoke from the alternator. How many miles are on the car? Is it possible the alternator bearings have seized? Is the belt ok, or was that what made the smoke?
It was definitely the alternator smoking. The car has 96,800 miles on it. I bought and tested a brand new battery so I am sure its not that. I ordered a new alternator and got the old one out today. While I was working on removing the alternator I noticed a hose was disconnected from the cruise control module. It looks like some water or moisture got inside that hose. Could that have caused this? I know that probably sounds far fetched but as I said I'm brand new to jags. If it were a Mercedes I'd be right at home lol

Old 08-08-2016, 03:07 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

You might want to put the new battery on charge anyway.
There are loads of fuse boxes on the car. The documentation will show you where they are. If the alternator tried to kill anything it would have blown some fuses. Have fun and know you can fix this with our help.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by wayland
You might want to put the new battery on charge anyway.
There are loads of fuse boxes on the car. The documentation will show you where they are. If the alternator tried to kill anything it would have blown some fuses. Have fun and know you can fix this with our help.
First of all I'd like to thank you all for your time and effort in helping me to resolve this issue.
Just as Wayland suggested I charged the battery as soon as I got it home from the auto parts store so no problem there. I have also pulled all the fuses in the car and never found a blown one.
I assumed that as previously stated that perhaps a fuse would have been the culprit but struck out.
I know for sure the alternator was smoking I physically saw it. What caused it still remains a mystery to me.
If the alternator fried a module or modules which ones would be the most likely to go and what would be the easiest way to check them.
Sorry for the lengthy post I have just never seen anything quite like this before. Again thanks for any help

Old 08-09-2016, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 902 Likes on 511 Posts

There is a large 250A fuse that protects most of the electrics and a fried alternator is an event that could blow that I suppose.

The fuse is in a cavity under the back seat on the RH side. Lift the back seat squab and you will see a large triangular shaped foam. Pull the foam and the fuse is there. Check voltage either side of the fuse.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 902 Likes on 511 Posts
The following users liked this post:
littlelic69 (08-10-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by b1mcp

Ok gentlemen as suggested I checked the fuse it tested good. I even took it a step further and just replaced it with a brand new one... Still nothing. I'm not sure where to turn next. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,047 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Have you had the alternator itself tested? Diodes do occasionally go bad.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
Have you had the alternator itself tested? Diodes do occasionally go bad.
I just bought a new one and replaced it. I did have the new one tested before installing it.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:11 PM
Default Problem resolved

Originally Posted by Brandon Wright
I just bought a new one and replaced it. I did have the new one tested before installing it.
Gentleman with much joy and even more embarrassment I would like to announce I have power...
Turns out that both bolt on fuses coming off the positive terminal were blown. I dont know why I didn't check that first... Feeling pretty stupid but I'm back up and running. Thanks for the help guys

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-12-2016)