Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   97 x300 stalling while running (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/97-x300-stalling-while-running-215297/)

Mike Lore 03-20-2019 03:08 PM

97 x300 stalling while running

You guys have worked miracles before,I'm perplexed. 07 Vanden plas runs great yesterday while driving just cuts out like its stalling on freeway stopped at idle as the day went by it did it more and more if I hit the gas when it did it stalling would stop now it starts right up runs flawless for 30 sec then dies suddenly starts up again no hesitation dies again battery is good alternator charging scanned car codes came back for secondary air pump and pcv underperforming,I cleaned pcv 6 months ago except screen under cam cover. Oxygen sensors replaced also maf sensor and plugs. Any help you can give me will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance. Also these codes were stored before this issue.

Steve M 03-20-2019 04:26 PM

Fuel filter?
Throttle butterfly gummed up?
What's a PCV?

Lady Penelope 03-20-2019 06:15 PM

Fuel injector cleaner ? Chevron brand has been recommended

If you can catch it does the Tach arrive on zero before the engine actually does ?

The CKPS can partially fail before complete failure and the fuel pump enable is one of the first aspects , it will give no codes

You can put a jumper on the fwd and aftmost sockets of the fuel pump relay to directly power the pump , with keys in pocket the relay / pump is still hot at all times

There is a TSB on the smog pump with a increase in fuse size along with a different pump # . There is a diode in the pigtail wiring . A non running smog pump will not stall the engine

If the EGR valve is binding the followup position sensor does not come to agreement of the commanded position within time . EGR should not be open at low RPM's and can be blocked off

The Inlet Air Control valve does not have this followup sensor feature and may be a open winding as the valve motor heats up

Your engine codes are on page 121 for a 97 :

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...20-%202000.pdf :icon_dance-disco:

Mike Lore 03-20-2019 06:53 PM

By PCV I meant positive crank ventilation I think Jaguar calls it something else. Thank you for your advice I've never seen anything like this before. I'm going to try those things you recommended.Ill let you know what worked.

Don B 03-20-2019 09:52 PM

Hi Mike,

Did you purchase fuel recently, and if so, is it possibly you got some water in the tank?

Could you please post all of the diagnostic trouble codes you scanned exactly as they appear? I know you mentioned they were flagged prior to the stalling, but we'd like to see the complete picture.

You could try swapping another relay for the fuel pump relay to see if the stalling is resolved.

If your scan tool can view Live Data, I would be interested in whether the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECTS) signal is plausible, and how the O2 sensors are behaving while the engine runs. The Short-Term and Long-Term Fuel Trims (STFT & LTFT) can also be helpful.

Cheers,

Don

Mike Lore 03-21-2019 12:56 AM

I having a problem with my scanner I bought it's the Icarsoft Jaguar/ Land rover scanner and it's not working I have an Xk8 same year and it wont communicate most of the time. What would be the best software/scanner for this model year? I don't know much about these.

spurs 03-21-2019 01:26 AM

hi, sounds a bit like a problem i had a few months ago, turned out to be a dirty air filter. may be worth a check.

Lady Penelope 03-21-2019 07:11 AM

The fuel pump relay can be swapped with the Acc relay located in the trunk on the inboard most position from the # 1 fuel pimp relay

Mike Lore 03-21-2019 04:42 PM

Got code P1333 it has to be the knock sensor. Air filter changed fuel pump relay cleaned intake battery Is low also airbag digital warning came on wont turn off engine warning flashing.

Steve M 03-21-2019 05:02 PM

Ok, calm down dear.
Use some punctuation marks so that we can identify the individual problems!

Mike Lore 03-21-2019 05:22 PM

I'm in a time crunch and this is so frustrating sorry about that. Ok,so code P1333 car now wont stay at idle for more than 3 seconds. Check engine light flashing. Airbag digital display on wont turn off,charging battery now.