XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

97 XJ6 Radio Head Unit Reinstall

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 05:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 97 XJ6 Radio Head Unit Reinstall

Alm through my ownership of the car I've never had a functioning radio as the wires were cut too close to the original connection to rewire. Yesterday I called a junk yard and got the clip and other wiring that goes with the wiring that goes into the back of the head unit. Today it arrived and when I went to install it i realised that all was the same except that on the main white clip there were 8 fewer wires on the left side and it also came with a cream coloured plug that I did not have in my car. So I wired up all of the wires that I had and plugged everything in and everything works except the sound. The antenna extends and retracts, the head unit does literally everything except adjust the sound (none comes from the speakers so I assume the sound auto resets to zero). So I guess what I'm asking is, do I just need to find another wire plug or is there something else I'm missing. I looked and haven't been able to find any diagrams telling what wires do what either...
Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

Old 07-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Watch for edited post . There is a difference in wiring of the speakers for the standard sound system vs . the premium ( with speaker wires coming from the trunk ) although they use the some Jaguar / Alpine AJ9500A head unit . What model is your car ? i.e. Vande Plus ? It could also have been updated beyond factory equipment and wiring . But the factory wiring is what can be used as a reference . Any questions , just ask . Look for a power amplifier in the trunk with a C/D changer , mine does not being a standard system with speaker wires coming out of the head unit . See diagram 18.1 standard and 18.2 premium . The speakers can be repaired yourself cheap ( foam diaphragm surrounds rot to dust causing rattle ) using the original units and the head can be modified yourself to take an auxiliary input jack ( MP3 ect. ) . I have the materials ( LOCA , aluminum foil and a clothing iron ) to do a repair of the ghosting number display that I don't know if anyone has tried the approach before , will have to see how tomorrow works out .

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fou1yb...e+-+JTP476.pdf

Attached Thumbnails 97 XJ6 Radio Head Unit Reinstall-jaguar-x300-alpine-aj9500a-untitledvvvvv.jpg  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 07-20-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:05 PM

So it sounds like I just got the wiring for a car that's got the option that my car doesn't have, so I need to go junk yard hunting once more and just be more careful this time, thank you!

Old 07-20-2017, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

You may have all you need already there being the 2 round plug cables plus the single wire round antenna cable . 1 is used for the standard and 2 are used for the premium as this second is how it gets the signal back to the premium level power amplifier if you have the premium . Hang in there .

Old 07-21-2017, 12:04 PM

Today on eBay I found a plug like mine with the correct number of wires and enough wire on the end to splice in and have ordered it, so hopefully once it arrives I'll be able to simply splice it in and call it a day This is the clip from the unit that was in my car, the new clip that I bought is the same, however the 8 wires farthest to the left aren't there at all
And with the new unit I bought there is this plug which my car didn't have, so I have no way to wire it in or anything, so I assume that this tan plug serves the same purpose as those left 8 wires

Old 07-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

The round connector is a low power audio connection to a external power amplifier in the premium setup . The 8 left wires on the square connector in your pic are the final stage high power speaker wires in the standard setup . You should be good .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 07-21-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:54 PM
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Great information thank you!

Old 07-22-2017, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Polarity matters so the speakers are in phase and not one out from the others , ensure color match ( hard to tell ) as you splice them . If you can't tell you can use a 9 volt battery to verify against the plug pin out vs. splice as the correct polarity will push the speaker cone in the out direction . If you have the original factory speakers in the assumed standard setup with the standard Philips not Harmon Karden ( premium setup ) the speaker repair kit is SWB525 x 4 . Notice the 20 year speaker rot in the pic . Use the optional outside environment glue when repairing .

5 1/4" Speaker Repair Kit For Replacing Foam Surrounds - Advent, Altec, AR, Boston Acoustics, Infinity, JBL, Paradigm

See their website video on how the do the repair

Attached Thumbnails 97 XJ6 Radio Head Unit Reinstall-jaguar-speaker-dim-untitled.png  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 07-22-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info. I'm trying to hook up a new modern stereo to the harmon Karden amp, any ideas? I printed one wiring digram no luck. i bought the Iso connector but that turns out not to be compatible with this premium system.