XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

lots of minor issues/questions -

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lots of minor issues/questions -

Good morning ladies and gents, i hope this isn't breaking protocol but now that I have my sweet Jag running and legal, i have found a number of small items i would like to ask.

1 - control console clock. My clock is bad. is there a less expensive way to get another clock or repair this one?

2 - the center control console lighting. I noticed that the "red" lights work when navigating through the different controls however the button themselves are not back lit. Since none of them can be seen at night i have no idea what is supposed to be lit and what isn't. can someone tell me what the lighting scheme is?

3 - Drivers side memory seat. I had the motor's replaced and they seat articulates as it should. However, when i press the memory button on the left it lights up but i never hear a beep and the car never remembers the seat position.

4 - The rear view mirror is fogged over and worthless. any cheap options are replacement?

5 - Last one i promise...the clear coat on the paint job is gone. Someone went ahead and started sanding and took it down to the under coat so it can't be worked. Is there anything special about the paint jobs on these cars? Anything i should avoid in getting it painted?

Thank you and again i hope this is the wrong thing to do by putting my questions up like this.

jkjag

Old 01-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

http://modulemaster.com/en/services/clock_modules.php

Not sure what your baseline is for "Less expensive" but you can get your clock fixed up here, something North of $120 by the time you ship it both ways.

I believe all your center console buttons should be lit. My seat-heater buttons on the clock module are out, (but it's ok...seat heaters don't work either) but otherwise everything is backlighted.

Memory seat problem may need a WDS or other dealer-type scan to identify the problem. Maybe one or more of the many sensors is on the fritz.

I believe the center-mounted rear view mirror used two different and incompatible electrical connectors during the series, maybe early '95 and then 95-97? A little foggy on that, but just warn you to be careful if finding a replacement on eBay or something.

You may want to stick your year/model/engine in your signature line, helpful so as not to have to mention it in every post. There are some really helpful guys/gals on here with loads of knowlege but frequently they won't weigh-in unless you include enough information about the car so they know which one they are dealing with. I'm assuming you have a 95-97 XJ (aka X300) otherwise, my answers, such-as-they are, probably highly suspect if not entirely useless.

Good luck getting it sorted out. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by jkjag
Good morning ladies and gents, i hope this isn't breaking protocol but now that I have my sweet Jag running and legal, i have found a number of small items i would like to ask.

1 - control console clock. My clock is bad. is there a less expensive way to get another clock or repair this one?

2 - the center control console lighting. I noticed that the "red" lights work when navigating through the different controls however the button themselves are not back lit. Since none of them can be seen at night i have no idea what is supposed to be lit and what isn't. can someone tell me what the lighting scheme is?

3 - Drivers side memory seat. I had the motor's replaced and they seat articulates as it should. However, when i press the memory button on the left it lights up but i never hear a beep and the car never remembers the seat position.

4 - The rear view mirror is fogged over and worthless. any cheap options are replacement?

5 - Last one i promise...the clear coat on the paint job is gone. Someone went ahead and started sanding and took it down to the under coat so it can't be worked. Is there anything special about the paint jobs on these cars? Anything i should avoid in getting it painted?

Thank you and again i hope this is the wrong thing to do by putting my questions up like this.

jkjag
Howdy and welcome!

1. The clock failure is common enough and has been covered many times. I did a repair on my own by removing it (see searches for "removing radio/ ski slope) and inserting a piece of plastic card between the ribbon connector strip and the unit itself, just to take up any slack and improve the connection. No harm to clean the contacts first. This sometimes works, as a long or short term fix. Once you remove the unit, fixed with four small screws at the rear, you'll see what I mean.

2. I have a similar issue with dash lights and havent investigated it, but this also seems to be pretty common. Possible fuse, bad connection at the rear?

3. The memory seat function can only be programmed with the door open or within 30 seconds of entering the car and switching the ignition on. Worth a shot?

4. Rear view mirror failure is also common. Replacement is probably the best cure, though a clip on "mirror only" may be a short term answer.

5. Clear coat peel is also very common. The paint itself is water based and possible causes of the top clear coat peel may be poor prep, contamination. Rubbing down with cutting paste, feathering off the edges of the peel and layering new clear in several light coats, finished with a good buffing may help, depending on how bad it is. Otherwise it may be a bigger professional job.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

1- The clocks often fail. The popular soultion these days is to send 'em to "Modulemasters" (or something like that) for repair. There's archived info on this. About $100 as I recall

2-Yes the buttons should be backlit. It's common for the bulbs to fail, The bulbs for the a/c panel and the clock panel are easy to replace. The radio, not so much.

3-I've never tried repairing mine but I've heard that the potentiometers at the seat motors often fail.

4-You can send the mirror our for repair for about $100. There's info in the archives with address, etc. It's a company affiliated with the original manufacturer, Magna Donelly. However, I've recently heard that some Acuras use the very same mirror....about $90. I don't know the exact model of Acura but you could take your mirror to the Acura dealership and see what they have

5-Paint jobs are not my area of expertise (nothing is my area of expertise!) but I'm not aware of anything special with the Jaguar clear coat issues versus any other make of car.

Others will chime in on all of the above.

i hope this is the wrong thing to do by putting my questions up like this.

IMHO, not "wrong" per se. However, I think it's better (and easier) to deal with each question under a separate posting with meaningful title/subject line

Cheers
DD

Old 02-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is a WDS scan and where can i get one...other then a dealer..if possible? do places like autozone do these kind of scans? can you tell me what it actually does?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

Worldwide Diagnostic System, I believe...but am not sure about that. Mostly only dealers...but we're lucky here in N. TX and Motorcarman has one....better yet...actually knows how to use it...which is a skillset not actually possessed by all dealers that have the equipment :-) I believe there is one called IDS that was maybe its predecessor. Sorry, can't help much on that, maybe larger shops that do a lot of Jag work, same hardware used by Ford, but I believe the software loads are different and don't think you can get one done on your Jag at the Ford dealer. I remember Motorcarman reading the various seat faults in mine off the screen when we scanned it, but he'd already pointed out the pot's are $300/ea and there are 5? I think, per seat...and not only this...but a real (bitter ex-wife) to change...so I moved that fault to the back-burner of things to fix right away....

Old 02-02-2011, 06:18 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jkjag

jkjag
Theres a thread further down the page re your issue no. 5

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=48947

Hope it helps

Old 02-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Hi.

1. If you do DIY you could repair the clock by yourself. The problem occurs because of the failure of the adhesion of the flexible substrate. I fixed my car's clock by myself. There is a mounting plate behind the clock glass, you could put a piece of sponge tape on the mounting to push and hold the contact point of the flexible substrate.
Here you can see the pictures, all are written in Japanese though.

http://jaglover.web.fc2.com/maintena...ockrepair.html

2. It is simple, the bulbs are gone wrong. Just pull out the radio/clock/air conditioning control and replace the bulbs, and all will work correctly.

3. It must be the failure of the potentiometer. I don't think they are well designed, they are made to be broken... I also repair this by myself. A while ago a guy in Portugal sold the seat position potentiometer repair manual on ebay, but I don't see any now. The potentiometer is so expensive but you can fix it by bonding the broken part. You have to tune the potentiometers by checking how many volts they are outputting, though.

Hope this helps.
If you want to do DIY job, I can give you a further help.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member

Thought I saw a flicker on the center console this morning (imagine that?!?...in a Jag?!?) then brushed it off as my phone changing screens on the map or something....later, noticed all illumination on my center stack was out save the climate control and clock lcd's....and also the overhead console and door panels....inst. binnacle still lit....I don't think it's bulbs....too many to all burn out at once....a fuse would do it....anybody can save me going x-eyed studying the schematics? Knows the one to check?