Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   Another no start thread. I’m searching for answers, too (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/another-no-start-thread-i%92m-searching-answers-too-218325/)

JasonwiththeXJ6 05-26-2019 06:35 PM

Another no start thread. I’m searching for answers, too

Hi, I’m searching, but so far I’ve not found an answer that seems closely related to mine. So here goes:

I’ve got a ‘97 xj6. 114k miles. It’s one owner prior to me, but it has been sitting for the past year. As a result, it won’t start. The battery is completely dead. I can run jumper cables from my diesel Volkswagen and it’ll crank, but not start. As soon as the jumper cable come off, it goes right back to absolutely zero power.

While jumper per cable are connected, it cranks strongly. Lights all come on, audio will wrk, wipers will work, etc.

the power lock lock button on the center stack doesn’t work, but all doors will lock and unlock with the key on the door, but not with the remotes.

I smell fuel fuel when engine is cranking, which leads me to believe the fuel pump is working.

What’s the best place to start?

aholbro1 05-26-2019 10:26 PM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ngines-120221/

Maybe something here that will help

jomo 05-26-2019 11:53 PM

The first thing I would try is a new battery or at least a good charged one. These cars are very picky when it comes to batteries. I have seen my car crank extremely well or at least I thought it did. Then after charging my battery it fired right up.

I'm not saying that your car will start just by installing a good battery but just in case you do fix the problem you want to know that it is fixed. That is after you make some adjustment to the car and try to start it you'll want it to be able to start and it won't with a bad battery.

Good luck!

Don B 05-27-2019 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by JasonwiththeXJ6 (Post 2076395)
While jumper per cable are connected, it cranks strongly. Lights all come on, audio will wrk, wipers will work, etc.

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

The first thing to suspect anytime a Jaguar won't start is the battery. If the battery voltage sags too low while cranking (much below 11V, in general), the Engine Control Module (ECM) will not trigger the ignition to fire. For reasons I do not fully understand, trying to jump-start a Jaguar with a dead battery is frequently unsuccessful. You will probably have to put a new or at least fully-healthy battery in the Jaguar to have any chance of starting it.

Also, watch the tachometer while cranking the engine - it should read about 200 rpm while cranking. If it reads much lower than that, you don't have enough cranking voltage. If it reads 0 rpm, suspect failure of the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKPS) or a problem with its electrical circuit.

For plenty of other ideas, check out this thread compiled by our member aholbro1:

Gentlemen: (No)Start Your Engines!!!

EDIT: Sorry for the duplicate information - when I pulled up your thread the replies from aholbro1 and jomo didn't show up - must have been a forum glitch.

Cheers,

Don

aholbro1 05-27-2019 04:50 PM

Don,
What are we doing different in posting the links?
I like yours better with the thread title! Mine just looks like so much internet jibberish, although clicking it seems to elicit the desired effect..
FWIW, I just went to the thread, copied the address from the address bar, then pasted it into my post.

Don B 05-27-2019 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1 (Post 2076739)
Don,
What are we doing different in posting the links?
I like yours better with the thread title!

It took me awhile to figure this out too. Here's how to do it:

1. In a different tab, open the thread or post you want to link to. Use Ctrl+C or Cmd+C to copy the url.

2. In the post you are writing, type the title of the thread or whatever you want the link to be titled.

3. Click and drag to highlight the title you have just typed.

4. Click on the chain link icon in the menu bar above the post editing window.

5. A LINK menu box will appear. Click on the URL field and then use Ctrl+V or Cmd+V to paste the url you copied from the thread or post.

5. Click OK. The menu box will disappear and your thread title will now be a hyperlink.

Cheers,

Don