XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Bought an X300 and of course it has an issue or two...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 04:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bought an X300 and of course it has an issue or two...

Hi all

I picked up a nice LWB X300 but have one or two issues, hope someone can help...

1) Neither of the cigarette lighter sockets have power - should I rip the centre console apart and check for loose wiring?

2) When unlocking with the key fob remote, the mirrors and steering wheel reset themselves. This car has does not have buttons for memories so I don't know how to program it.. Any thoughts?

Old 07-14-2013, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi,
Check the fuses first for the cigar lighters. Sorry I can't help with the programming.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:40 AM

Ok thanks.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:53 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by zathras
Hi all..

2) When unlocking with the key fob remote, the mirrors and steering wheel reset themselves. This car has does not have buttons for memories so I don't know how to program it.. Any thoughts?
What do you mean by resetting themselves? After you manually set your chair/mirrors/steer you lock the car, unlock it and then all devices go to the position before your manually adjust it?

The thing is, the car initially came with 3 keys and 2 fobs. I believe 2 black keys and one green key.

Well the black key's are the one you need. One is programmed for memory option #1 and the other is for #2. I believe the green one is the key you give to the parking boy or garage. With that key you can not operate the memory system.

Anyways, unlock the car with the your fob or key. Enter the car, put in your key. Now come's the trick ;

Let the system reset your chairs. When it's done, manually adjust the things you want to set. Chair/steering/mirrors (note* set the button under the steer to auto)

Now when all is set, press the memory button and press #1 or #2
When everything is okay the car will thank you with a nice soft beep.

When you are not sure what key you have now, set one adjustment on #1 and do a different adjustment on #2.

If this still doesn't work for you, you may have some faulty sensors. These can be reset and cleaned but it takes some time. Let me know when you need more help regarding this issue

-cheers

Old 07-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

The fuse for the cigar lighters is fuse #9 in the Left Hand heelboard panel. The heelboard panels are located behind an access panel behind where a rear seat passenger's heels would be.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Ross, he says the car does not have memory buttons. Does that mean it goes to a factory preset and has to be adjusted every time? Mine has mechanical adjustment, and I have no problem since I'm the only driver.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ237
Ross, he says the car does not have memory buttons. Does that mean it goes to a factory preset and has to be adjusted every time?

This is odd. No memory buttons but the seats/mirror/column seem to behave as though the car was fitted with the memory system.

Flipping the column switch.....if one exists on this car..... from "Auto" to "Off" should alleviate the immediate issue but the build configuration of this car seems a bit mysterious to me.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Certainly is confusing. The X300 LWB were originally dubbed "Majestic", though never badged that way. I would have thought that a car like that would have had memory functions.

Perhaps the car is not a LWB after all.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Certainly is confusing. The X300 LWB were originally dubbed "Majestic", though never badged that way. I would have thought that a car like that would have had memory functions.

Perhaps the car is not a LWB after all.

Jaguar had umpteen badge/equipment level/wheelbase combinations for different markets. I don't think LWB vs. SWB alone is a reliable way to determine what equipment level to expect.

My SWB car has the memory feature, for example . Early on the USA got only SWB cars...which could be and were often fully optioned. Later we got the LWB cars with varying equipment levels.

(As an aside I'll mentioned that jaguar has played this SWB and LWB game for deacdes. A bit silly. It's been repeated a few times. Offer a car as SWB and then, some time later, offer it as LWB. But I'm getting way off topic)

I'm wondering if it is possible for an X300 to have the "Easy Entry/Exit" feature without having the memory system? If so, perhaps that's what we're dealing with here?

Cheers
DD

Old 07-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Jaguar had umpteen badge/equipment level/wheelbase combinations for different markets. I don't think LWB vs. SWB alone is a reliable way to determine what equipment level to expect.

My SWB car has the memory feature, for example . Early on the USA got only SWB cars...which could be and were often fully optioned. Later we got the LWB cars with varying equipment levels.

(As an aside I'll mentioned that jaguar has played this SWB and LWB game for deacdes. A bit silly. It's been repeated a few times. Offer a car as SWB and then, some time later, offer it as LWB. But I'm getting way off topic)

I'm wondering if it is possible for an X300 to have the "Easy Entry/Exit" feature without having the memory system? If so, perhaps that's what we're dealing with here?

Cheers
DD
The "easy entry/exit" feature does seem like a possibility, but that doesn't explain the mirrors resetting also. Perhaps the little adjustment toggle lever is just broken off, as is the case with many of these cars? After all, there has to be a way to adjust the mirrors to ones own preferences. For the record, all memory setting buttons and mirror adjustment, should be in a panel in the door, along with the power window switches.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:12 PM

Hi all. Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify, the switchpack has the mirror control but where the memory buttons should be, it is blank. When unlocking the car with the remote, the mirrors and steering wheel move to the same position every time and force me to adjust them.

I did try re programming the remotes but that has not helped.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Did you find a bad fuse? If its not the fuse, then the relay (yes, believe it or not) that powers the sockets is the next likely culprit.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Did you find a bad fuse? If its not the fuse, then the relay (yes, believe it or not) that powers the sockets is the next likely culprit.
Will have a look today. It was the middle of the night here when I posted my question

Old 07-14-2013, 02:52 PM

Actually, I wonder if the answer isn't that somewhere along the line someone has replaced either the switchpack or the control module and now the car does have memories but I can't access them myself. Would that make sense? I will see if I can track down a switchpack and try test fitting it

Old 07-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

Actually, I wonder if the answer isn't that somewhere along the line someone has replaced either the switchpack or the control module and now the car does have memories but I can't access them myself. Would that make sense? I will see if I can track down a switchpack and try test fitting it

I was wondering about a possible parts mis-match myself....a "non-memory" switchpack being installed on a "memory equipped" car

Cheers
DD

Old 07-14-2013, 03:58 PM

I was wondering about a possible parts mis-match myself....a "non-memory" switchpack being installed on a "memory equipped" car

Cheers
DD
Do you know off the top of your head if they are interchangeable? As in, can I plug in either switchpack?

Old 07-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

just stop using the remote?
My car came with two dead remotes that don't re-animate with new batteries.
I use the key in the door - it works fine. I squirted a puff of graphite into the door lock and it is as smooth as new.
A nice feature is when locking the car with the key in the door, if you keep it turned fully clockwise, it automatically raises the windows if they've been left down.
So I don't bother with the remotes, but I suppose they could be sorted.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:13 PM

The guy I bought it from disclosed the issue to me and he said he uses the key. I might do the same in the short term.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Do you know off the top of your head if they are interchangeable? As in, can I plug in either switchpack?

Foggy memory here. I work on so many different cars and ain't gettin' any younger.

But......

I recall that the connectors for the windows, mirrors, and memory are individual. If that's the case then a non-memory switchpack could've been installed in a "memory" car, with the now unused memory connector just left dangling, so to speak.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-14-2013, 06:09 PM

Foggy memory here. I work on so many different cars and ain't gettin' any younger.

But......

I recall that the connectors for the windows, mirrors, and memory are individual. If that's the case then a non-memory switchpack could've been installed in a "memory" car, with the now unused memory connector just left dangling, so to speak.

Cheers
DD

Thanks for your help. I will investigate if/when I can lay my hands on a replacement switchpack.

Quick Reply: Bought an X300 and of course it has an issue or two...