XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Brakes Locked Up After Wheel Bearing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Locked Up After Wheel Bearing Replacement

HELP!!!!! I took my 95 Jag to shop, simply asked them to r&r the bearings and seals on the front end! Went picked up car and I have no BRAKES! Took all my might to stop it. Stiff as hell!!! 2 days later my mechanic still has no clue to the reason why!!! F$%KED up is what it is!!! Have had them bleed front and rear with no help! Proportional<sp> valve maybe??? Please help!

Old 07-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by blondbomber
HELP!!!!! I took my 95 Jag to shop, simply asked them to r&r the bearings and seals on the front end! Went picked up car and I have no BRAKES! Took all my might to stop it. Stiff as hell!!! 2 days later my mechanic still has no clue to the reason why!!! [snip] Have had them bleed front and rear with no help! Proportional<sp> valve maybe??? Please help!
Hi again, blondbomber!

Now you're in the right place, and the additional information is helpful.

In your original post, you said only that the brakes were locked up. I thought you meant that the brakes were engaged and preventing the wheels from rotating.

It sounds as though what you are describing is a loss of the brake power assist and it requires too much force on the brake pedal to stop the car. Is that what you are describing?

If you can clarify these details, hopefully other members will have some some ideas of possible causes. Hopefully it's something simple such as the vacuum supply to the brake power assist servo.

Cheers,

Don

Old 07-09-2014, 01:23 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Mmmmm, doing the front bearings does require the removal of the rotors etc, as you know.

Apart from the vac leak Don has mentioned, and I see no reason to touch that to do just the bearings, my thoughts are:

The caliper slide pins are somehow jamming the caliper. Not sure how, as I have done mine many, many times, and I simply cannot picture how that could happen, but, anything is possible I reckon.

The outer pads are JAMMED into the caliper bracket, and NOT sitting nice and square.

The inners are not sitting into the piston properly, but I reckon that would stop the caliper sliding over the rotor for refit, but then again, it sounds a butcher at work here.

The pads, and or rotors, are covered in grease, thus giving a rock hard pedal, but no retardation, seen that before.

When he released the calipers, and "pushed back" the pistons for access, he DID NOT release the bleed nipple to allow the fluid to escape to the outside world, and simply pushed back, which has sent dirty fluid via the ABS unit into the master cylinder. This is a BIG no no, as it can/will reek havoc with the valving inside the ABS unit.

Jammed pistons inside the calipers, not convinced, but mentioned anyway.

Still thinking.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:42 AM

Hi Grant,

Those are all plausible thoughts, but I'm still confused as to whether blondbomber's brakes are truly "locked up" or he has suffered a loss of power assist. In his first post on the X350 forum, he used the term "locked up," so I suggested he include that phrase in the title of his post here in the X300 forum. But in his post here, he says he has "no brakes," and that it took all his might to stop the car, because the [brake pedal?] is stiff. Doesn't that sound more like a loss of power assist?

Hopefully blondbomber will give us some more details.

Cheers,

Don

Old 07-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Long bolts in the caliper mount position will "lock up" the brakes. Ask me how I know!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Long bolts in the caliper mount position will "lock up" the brakes. Ask me how I know!

Hah! That sounds like a story worth hearing, Ross! Care to share?