XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Can anyone measure the airflow for me on an AJ16 NA engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:18 AM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts
Default Can anyone measure the airflow for me on an AJ16 NA engine

Dear All,
I have done some computer simulations to investigate optimising the intake and exhaust geometry and cam timing of the AJ16 NA engine to produce maximum power at 6000rpm. My simulations predict airflow. However, most people will want to know how this relates to power output. In order to do this I need to know how much air a standard 4.0L naturally aspirated AJ16 engine flows as a function of engine speed. Are there any forum members who have scan tool software which is capable of logging the parameters which are accessible from the diagnostic plug. Airflow is one of these parameters. The scan tool software will indicate that it is output in g/s but in my experience it is actually in units of 0.1g/s. This parameter would need to be logged along with the engine speed parameter. The typical logging rate will be about every 0.4secs. I regularly do this kind of data logging on my own XJRs, but I don't have access to a naturally aspirated car. If anyone would be interested in providing this data, they would need to log it whilst performing a wide open throttle acceleration over the whole engine speed range. If the car used is an auto, then the torque converter will immediately stall to over 2000rpm at the start of the acceleration test, but that is OK because I'm mainly interested in the data at high speed up to the gearshift point / rev limiter. Data from a car with a manual transmission would be even better, because the driver will have full control over the engine speed. It would be helpful to know the ambient temperature and pressure at the time the test was performed. The car has its own ambient temp reading available from the A/C system, and I can assume standard atmospheric pressure, if local weather data is not available at the time of the test. The data logging software that I use creates comma separated variable (csv) files which can then be imported into MS Excel for processing. I hope that anyone offering to help me would have logging software which could produce similar files. I would be happy to share the results of my analysis with anyone who was able to offer me this data.

Sorry about the very complicated request, but hopefully someone will be interested in taking part in this experiment. I would like to present the results at a forthcoming technical seminar that I'm giving on 21st March. therefore I really need any data by 13th March to give me time to process it. I very much hope than someone is able to help me, after all the advice that I have given to other forum members over the years. Thank you.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:28 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

Andy, the silence has been deafening
I cant help, sorry - I have NA 3.2 and XJR, and no measuring equipment..

Old 03-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Wish I had the ability to help..... would if I could.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by AL NZ
Andy, the silence has been deafening
I cant help, sorry - I have NA 3.2 and XJR, and no measuring equipment..
Likewise...

Old 03-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

I have cheap ebay ELM USB dongle, but I couldn't find any decent software to drive it under Linux.

What software do you normally use?

Old 03-15-2015, 07:54 AM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

theJPster,
I normally use a piece of proprietary software running on a laptop, that is probably not available to the public. However, I believe android apps such as Torque Pro will log data.

All,
I would be very grateful for any data that anyone can provide, as I'm due to give a technical seminar on 21st March, and this would be very useful info.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:21 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I have the free version of Torque. Not sure if the free version logs data.