XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Can anyone show me where is the Camshaft sensor on 96 XJR ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Can anyone show me where is the Camshaft sensor on 96 XJR ?

Hi Guyz, i have a problem, couple of weeks ago i went over a road bump really bad and the car started misfire + the black smoke. I drove home and the car has been sitting there for a while. I changed the Spark Plugs and checked the wiring it seems to be OK> now the car won't start at all. The starter is running but it gets stopped like when you have a bad battery. my guess - i need to check the Camshaft Sensor but i do not know where it is. Can anyone post here the picture of where can i find it on the engine ?

Many Thanks in advance !

Attached Thumbnails Can anyone show me where is the Camshaft sensor on 96 XJR ?-jaguar_xjr6-supercharged_4.0_1997_004_587x400.jpg   Can anyone show me where is the Camshaft sensor on 96 XJR ?-jaguar_xjr6-supercharged_4.0_1997_003_587x400.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I will try to be helpful, BUT you are headed up a deads end road right now. The cam position sensor is the thing that looks like the bottom half of a distributer on the front right side of the engine, about halfway down. The car will start and run with a bad CPS. The CRANK position sensor CKPS is on the front of the engine and senses teeth on the back of the front damper. The engine will not fire with no CKPS signal.
Neither of these sensors will give symptoms anything like a bad battery which I THINK you are trying to describe as starting to crank, but then stopping. Try to think about the terms "cranking", "starting",and "running", then check back with a better description and someone will probably be able to help you.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 AM

Thanks Ross, i believe what i am trying to explain is more like starting to crank but then stopping.

I will try to get the technician with Car diagnostics to see if he can pull up the error codes and will post it here

Or i will take a Video of the Car and post it here

As there is none of the Garage's that specializes in Jaguar - My car stands still for 3 weeks already

On the other hand - back when i had BMW and almost every garage can fix it over here, I still had problems finding the right technician for the job.

Last edited by alexcarter; 07-03-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Why do you not suspect the battery? Look at the battery connections to be clean and tight. Then check the "bulkhead connections" - where the large black cables come through th firewall. Look for signs of heating or corrosion. If so, then clean and tighten the conections.
Remove a battery cable before working on the bulkhead connectors, or you might go BOOM!

Old 07-04-2013, 03:55 AM

Hey Ross, here's the video of my car while i try to start it. I believe Battery is working fine as when i try to start it the first time as you can see in the video, it cranks for 5-6 seconds, after i give it up and when i try to start it the second time, it cranks and kind of freezes.

Jaguar XJR won't start - YouTube

Any Ideas ?

Old 07-04-2013, 04:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, just seen your youtube video. Perhaps you should be looking at the fuel supply.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:04 AM

Thanks Rob that's what i thought in the first place as well after i went over a speed bump and got engine working bad but the thing is that i drove like 2-3 miles after that before i stopped the car near my house.

BTW - Should i check any fuses and relays? if so, where are they located ?

Old 07-04-2013, 04:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure where the fuses are for your model. Should be able to find out using this forum. With mine I have some in the engine bay some in the luggage compartment. It's obviously fuel or electrical. Do you have home start with the AA or RAC?

Old 07-04-2013, 04:38 AM

Rob, what do you mean under home start with the AA or RAC ?

Old 07-04-2013, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

I believe he refers to the road services that help start the car.
I believe you have two or more problems here. First, the battery has run down due to excessive cranking, and you MIGHT have some loose connections that combined make the starter stall out on the recranks. The battery voltage is high as yuo start cranking, then deteriorates.
I don;t think that is your root cause problem, though. Has the car ever started after the bump?
I would look at the various components of the air induction system, to assure something has not gotten dislodged or knocked a wire loose.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:09 AM

Hey Ross, the car has not started after the bump, i tried couple of times and as the car's sitting for couple of weeks most likely you are right about the battery run down. I will take the battery to the dealer to charge it for me and will try again. Meanwhile will look for any loose connections. the problem is - I am not familiar with this engine at all and do not know where to look. I'll just inspect what i see.

THx for suggestions !

Old 07-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by alexcarter
Hi Guyz, i have a problem, couple of weeks ago i went over a road bump really bad

Bad enough to possbily cause impact damage to the underbody? If so, you might wanna crawl under for a peek.

and the car started misfire + the black smoke.

The mention of "black smoke" makes me wonder about something.

This is a stretch but I'll throw it out there anyway.....

There are some fuel vent/vapor components mounted to the underbody, roughly in the area of the front mufflers....that is, just forward of the rear suspension.

Maybe, just maybe, impact damage here could cause some sort of fueling problem? I've never studied the system operation. I just know it exists :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 07-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Doug:
Yeah, I'm with you ...
I first discounted fuel due to the report of black smoke, but maybe that smoke was not exhaust??? The various pipes (at least on the X300 NA) are evaporative recovery parts, but the fuel line and fuel line returns are there too. Broken or crushed fuel line? Boy do I wish there was a fuel pressure test port on a X-300.

I am not absolutely sure, but I think it will not crank if the inertia switch is tripped. Any help here?

Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 AM

Hey Doug, Thanks for the reply.

There was no Impact of the underbody to the road or anything like this. I will check all the fuel lines on Weekends as well as all underneath the car. I will tow it to garage as far as i do not have the Jack high enough to crawl under it myself

Ross - I did read some stuff about the inertia switch but as far as i remember from posts made about it - the car won't start at all if inertia switch is tripped. But i am not absolutely sure on the info i have as i have it as a conclusion from the posts i read from different threads.

Again - Thanks for help guys. i really appreciate.

Last edited by alexcarter; 07-04-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah...I wrong on all counts to consider the inertia switch- it would kill the car immediately, not just prevent a re-start!

Old 07-04-2013, 10:09 AM

is the Fuel Line easy to disconnect from the engine? I will disconnect it and Crank the car to see if it splashes the Fuel.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Well, it is easy, at least on the NA, ... but use two wrenches and have some fire extinguishing plan nearby! Looking at your first picture, just above and right of the "6" under the first cover, you should find a compression tube meeting the fuel rail, that engages the top of each fuel injector.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:26 PM

Thanks Ross. By the way your guess about battery was right. It is dead indicator shows me red. I will take it to the dealer to charge on the weekends. and after i will disconnect the fuel lines to see if i have fuel coming into the engine.

I'll keep the thread updated.

BTW i took the picture of the fuse box and one relay seems to be missing. or not?

Attached Thumbnails Can anyone show me where is the Camshaft sensor on 96 XJR ?-fuses.jpg  
Old 07-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I don't have my XJ6 here anymore, and the SC model has different relays anyway. It is typical for relays to be associated with options, and might therefore not be fitted on a particular model.

However! That looks like the fuel pump relay location in the JTIS manual. Unfortunately the diagram is grainy and hard to see. You don't see a relay laying around under your spare tire, do you ?

Last edited by sparkenzap; 07-04-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:48 PM

Hey Ross, I'll check more carefully on Saturday, as well i will remove the battery and take it to charge

That's gonna be a funny thing finding relay that popped out

Quick Reply: Can anyone show me where is the Camshaft sensor on 96 XJR ?