XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Can't believe I'm toying with this idea...any advice appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can't believe I'm toying with this idea...any advice appreciated!

Why do I let these thoughts creep into my head...as some of you may know I am moving from Buffalo, NY to Phoenix (North Scottsdale) in less than a month now for a 9 month lease I just finalized on a condo, where I can continue my automobile passion in a year round warm climate! Right now, my 2002 Tacoma TRD aka the mobile detailing truck is being driven cross country as I establish a new customer base in a different market.

Here's my problem, any opinions or advice are appreciated.

I'm 24 years old. Fresh out of college last spring with Bachelors in Marketing. Started Full Throttle Mobile Auto Detailing this past summer here in Buffalo. Had my first Jag (93' XJ6) for 5 years, finally purchased after months of searching last spring the Jag I wanted in my permanent car collection...1996 XJR6.

3 weeks away from making this major move to Phoenix, real life has slapped me in the face as I'm about to face rent, utilities, working somewhere part-time and establishing my business. I am extremely responsible when it comes to budgeting and managing my money, hence owning my beautiful XJR and Tacoma with zero car payments, and considering I've been driving Jags since high school and have bought and sold more Jeeps than I can count.

I'm stuck between the serious thoughts of selling my XJR6, which I have had for just under only 2 years...here is my reasoning and options thus far:

I have a decent chunk of change going to Phoenix along with the Tacoma, but not enough that I want to waste another $700-900 to have the Jag shipped to Phoenix. I can always leave it here in Buffalo where it's normally stored each winter in the garage anyways.

Or I can try selling the XJR before I leave at the end of this month. I can't explain to you guys in words how much I love this car, but there are a couple things that bother me. Tranny is the old school not so responsive vs. ZF in the V8 X308 models. This XJR6 is way more updated and faster than the 93 XJ6, but having a father who leased a pre-owned 01 XJR the performance is night and day difference, along with other minor updates to bring it into this millenium.

I strongly believe in the last few years of the X300 cars, which have the last of the real Jag I6 motors...I don't know if I could drive another XJR X308 or XKR coupe, both which I have always found gorgeous as well. I'm thinking if I sell my XJR I'd probably end up with a newer XJR or XKR another year or so down the road if I did enough research on the V8s as I know about the ins/outs of X300 cars.

Also, I'm just so used to driving luxury cruisers like my 2 Jags thus far, 7 years strong total now! It's great to have an automobile like this, but I really miss the old school 5spd. E30 BMW I used to have. I have driven the newer 01-05 E46 BMW 330ci 5spds, and it's a good thing I don't have the extra money or else I would have probably bought it on the spot. Sad to say as gorgeous as Jags are, BMW blows them (at least older Jags) out of the water. The engineering, handling, reliability, etc. Guess I'd just like to have a "fun to drive" car such as a 5spd 330ci vs all the boring automatics I've been driving for years. Just nothing unique or rare to the 330ci BMW when you compare it to a XJR6. I like having vehicles that are limited production, top of the line trim, special year meaning, etc...

In 9 months of mobile detailing with the truck is more than enough time to decide if that's something I'd like to do for any length of time. I always have my BA degree to fall back on. In that case the $12000 truck would definitely be sold, keep Jag, get that lil Bimmer.

Am I going to regret selling my 60K mile pristine XJR6, rare rear heated seat option, perfect color combo, $2500 18" Pentas/new Pirelli tires, and some preventative maintenance...after it took me over 6 months just to find???

Here are some awesome shots I took down at the waterfront today after doing the 4-step detail process; hand wash, poly clay bar paint prep, swirl remover/polish, and paint sealant.

Attached Thumbnails Can't believe I'm toying with this idea...any advice appreciated!-dsc_2402.jpg   Can't believe I'm toying with this idea...any advice appreciated!-dsc_2380.jpg   Can't believe I'm toying with this idea...any advice appreciated!-dsc_2387.jpg   Can't believe I'm toying with this idea...any advice appreciated!-dsc_2364.jpg  

Last edited by Cadillac; 09-09-2010 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Images exceed forum sizes
Old 09-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Its all on you but if it were me & I had a place to store it I would definitely keep the XJR6
highly desired & only 60K? Thats a gem id want to keep. I really like BMWs as well, really fun to drive I had a 5 spd 93 Bmw before getting my 97 x300
I've put waaaay to much $ into my Jag to ever want to sell it. Plus I like that I have the last year X300 before Ford took over, gotta love that it was made in England
Good luck deciding.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:03 PM

Exactly, having those last couple years before ford took over completely is like having bragging rights as well as showing pride in real jaguars no matter how bad a rap they get. That's cool that you have a 1997, which was the year I wanted too, but hey 96 xjr is still better than the first year redesign to me anyways. I'm still in the early phases with this xjr6. I know exactly what you mean about the point of no return...had close to 11 grand total into my 93 xj6 between original cost plus endless repairs. Sold it for 4... I just don't want this xjr to be a money pit too although I have done prev maintenance as well as knowing the common potetial issues. Appreciate your comment.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Yea stoked to have a Jag that was made before Ford took over as well. I got my 97 almost two years ago and I have got close to 10gs into it. replaced a lot of parts and still much more maintaining to do & parts to replace. I love the way x300s look especially after upgrading to 19" AM rims. The rims really set them off in my opinion the stock 16" rims are for geezers haha

Old 09-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I think the XJR/6s are a unique car and I'd want to keep it, personally.

OTOH, you have you're whole life ahead of you and will likely own umpteen unique cars. I've owned about 40 cars....only a few of them dull, ordinary transporation appliances. And there's another 20 or so I'd *like* to own before I die.

Sorry...not much help, am I ? :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 09-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a 16 or 18 foot U haul truck and load the car and your personel belongings in it and drive there yourself. I sure you were not planning on putting 200 pounds of you clothes and personel S#@T on the plane. After you unload the JAG out of the truck take it over to the drop off station and leave it. Lets face it you got to haul something out here it might as well be the jag. Leaving my Jag would not be a subject to think about. TAKE THE JAG BY ANY MEANS NECSSSARY. So you might have to spend afew more dollars to have it your way. HAVE YOUR WAY, YOUR WAY IS THE ONLY WAY THAT WILL KEEP YOU HAPPY.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am sure that you would regrett selling for many years, it's just not a car that you would be selling it's part of your life.
I know I would love to have it parked beside my white one ,Shipping to Aus could be a bit expensive though.
I hope you find a way to keep her
Rommel white xjr

Old 09-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking I agree

100% with Cooke. I wouldn't sell that car if my dog's life depended on it (maybe the cat). I also admire BMWs, but have you noticed that everyone and their brother drives one? I know that is not the reason to like or dislike an automobile, but you don't see alot of Jags--especially one like yours just driving all over. You don't see one at every stop light that is for sure. You can also view the car as money in the bank. Hold onto it--see how well you do after the move and if worst comes to worst---better yet buy the beemer and if things go bad you can sell the BMW and keep driving the Jag. I love speed also, but as said on Top Gear, theres just something about a JJJJAAAAAGGGGGGGG!

Good luck on your move-----------------------Scott

Old 09-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm mostly with the keepers. As said above, part of your life (history) is in there!

Buuutt...I wouldn't let anything be an anchor to taking a new and positive life step that you're sure of.

Whatever you decide, don't look back with second guesses.
Best wishes!

Last edited by mailshack; 09-09-2010 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Correcting mistake
Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Tough decisions! I have a 96 and 04. I love both cars and the 96 still gets more looks. I would stay away from the x308, they have alot of problems. All the problems can be fixed, but it's hard to find one that has recorded all the issues resolved. Jag only produced about 2200 XJRs in 96. They are a rare car and finding the color you wanted in the condition you wanted is even harder!!! The bought the 04 and found a 96 with 38K a month later. I couldn't say no......I have invested about what the car is worth and it still needs to be repainted. I have no place to keep her and plan on using it for my winter car. I gaurantee...if you sell her you will regret it 10 years from now. I wanted a 95-97 XJR since I was 20 and just found one at age 32. Most of these cars are driven hard and put away wet. Most I have seen have half the light on the dash lit and +100K miles. But..it's only a car and you might be able to find another. Your car looks clean! Let us know if you sell, I could always use another Jag

Old 09-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

OK, leaving it in Buffaloe for 6 maybe 9 months.........then you need to: -

1. Renew engine oil and filter
2. Run engine up to full temperature, allow to cool, remove plugs and put a few drops of cylinder lubricant into each bore. replace plugs
3. Put car up on blocks, remove wheels, store wheels out of sunlight
4. Remove brake pads all round, lightly oil or grease discs to stop corrosion
5.Remove battery, or fit battery conditioner, assuming garage has power.
6. Make sure insurance remains valid for off-road storage

Depart for Phoenix !!

Old 09-10-2010, 08:05 PM

Wow only a day went by since I last checked this post, wasn't expecting so many more replies! I appreciate them all, very good opinions and input all generally related to I'd be nuts to part with this car so soon.

If it stayed in my garage in buffalo I'm the one here throughout winter starting it a few times a week,'up and down driveways when the snow is melted, always do oil change & filter before and after winter as I just did. Basic liability insurance during off road season.

Still searching for other auto shippers among 2 companies I've used many times over the years. Right now can't get that jag to Phoenix for less than 900 with the slow service. 700 would be great and 5-600 would be done in a heartbeat! Went through DAS last spring with their slow up to 2 week service for a jeep I bought from California and that was only 700 at the time!

Old 09-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  19.3 KB

For me, looking at the car and what you have invested......If its humanly possible its a keeper for sure, lovely looking example

Old 09-11-2010, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I know you had some quite time finding your XJR ,so for this reason alone you should keep it . I think if you sell it or trade it for something else you would miss it for sure

Old 09-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Magnificent looking car ! Best to keep it if at all possible.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Stunning car. Tough choice. I say ship it to Scottsdale and sell it to me.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man I love that car! I might steal that color scheme you have going for the interior, looks stunning with the black leather, grey leather seats and dark wood! Now in lies that problem, living in Arizona and knowing how horrible the heat is out here you will want to make sure that puppy is put in a garage every day during the summer time. That leather is going to be blistering come noon during a Phoenix summer
Other than that, I say keep the car. It's a beauty!

Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
Oh man I love that car! I might steal that color scheme you have going for the interior, looks stunning with the black leather, grey leather seats and dark wood! Now in lies that problem, living in Arizona and knowing how horrible the heat is out here you will want to make sure that puppy is put in a garage every day during the summer time. That leather is going to be blistering come noon during a Phoenix summer
Other than that, I say keep the car. It's a beauty!
Thanks again for the comments. I was quite surprised when the car arrived after purchase last spring because the previous owner's pictures didn't highlight how beautiful the contrast was of the interior! I have always been a traditional tan leather/black accents & chrome in luxury cruisers like my last XJ6, but believe me I love the "Darth Vador" look of my current R.

And the day I don't have a garage anymore to keep her out of the elements is also the day I camp outside with the R in a large tent.

My condo lease is for 9 months so I'll have more than enough time to get a feel for Phoenix and whether I'll choose to stay there next summer. However, having been to Phoenix many times, including 2x this past summer I bet that leather interior does bubble...no doubt considering my Aunt forgot to put the sun visor in her Honda CRV windshield while we were in a store about a month ago. Needless to say it felt like the 7th circle of hell when we opened those car doors...(with cloth interior!!) YIKES.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:23 PM

What an interesting day that can relate to my post here...

Went to the post office this morning, came out to find a woman waiting near my XJR...ended up talking to her for awhile because she absolutely loved it an was considering buying a Jag soon, wanted to know the "reliability" factors and what years were better. Couldn't believe it was a 96 when she was considering 05+ XJs, which I know little to nothing about. Gave her my card, told her about this Jag Forums, and more than likely will hear from her eventually! Oddly enough she is toying with the idea of moving to Phoenix too. lol.

On my way home I was passing our local (and only) used luxury/exotic car dealer and saw a flash out of the corner of my eye...of course it had to be the exact BMW 330ci I have been talking about lately. Needless to say I turned around and played the "I'm interested game" just because I've been dying to find & drive a 330 to feel the power difference from my past 325. There's a difference Wasn't a 5spd, but it was much faster and more fun to drive even as an automatic!

Got back from test drive, and a repeat customer pulls in with a Lexus and says hi to the salesman I'm with. Then he asks HIM "Where'd you pick this XJR up? It's gorgeous." Ha...then I chimed in and said it was mine, not a second later he says with no enthusiasm whatsoever, "And you're trading it in for that BMW..."

That was sad enough for the BMW to hear considering how great a car the 330ci is, but this customer ended up hanging around talking about my R while the salesman just wondered back inside...lol.

So my 3 conclusions today have been:

Jaguars have that warm, fuzzy feeling about them that say, "Love me..." because 90% of the population doesn't...

I never should have stopped to test drive the one car I'd consider replacing the XJR with...

And if I didn't need my Tacoma for my detailing business I would be buying a 330ci in a heartbeat. Even with 125K miles the lame auto tranny still felt perfectly smooth compared to my R's. And handling, pick up & go cant really be compared between the two, but the Bimmer had it.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hey XJ,
Thanks for posting and taking time about that pleasant day around post office .
I think no matter what they say about Jags , Jaguars have different sex appeals than most cars and attrack , catch eye more than rest of other brands .

Thanks for conversation about Jaguar Forums with the lady you met ,it would be a good thing to have a new happy Jag Lover around for sure

BMW 330 would be like a common car compared to your XJR ( I say not any XJR by no means dull but Jag will make you feel more uplifting .

Quick Reply: Can't believe I'm toying with this idea...any advice appreciated!