Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Three Question

Hi all need some input if posible

1)How is the front bumper removed?

2)How is the rear bumper removed

and

3)Will the roof Mechanism from a 1994 XJ fit and work in a 1997 XJR?

Thanks

Old 08-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Front bumper

I can only help with 1) - there's a good diagram on JaguarClassicParts.com under X300 / Exterior Fittings and Sunroof / Front Bumpers.

The bumper is removed by undoing the two bolts [3] which you can see if you look at the underside of the bumper. These bolts go into the adjusters [2] which set the height of the bumper - these are (I think) ally on steel and mine had seized. I ended up unbolting the forward pointing towers [1] from the car and taking the bumper off that way, then buying new towers and slathering the mechanism in grease. The ends of the bumper are retained in sliders [17] so they just pull out. Don't forget to remove the undertray first and unplug the electrics. I recall I unplugged everything I could reach, but there are only actually two you need to undo which becomes obvious once you've got the bumper off.

The following users liked this post:
Simprof (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

I dont know much about the interchangeability of sunroof parts/components, but suspect there may be substantial differences between the two models, especially regarding the wiring and circuitry, given the overhaul that occurred between the models.

With regard to the bumpers, the rear is very straightforward (in theory) and is removed by removing the two large bolts which pass upwards through the bottom of the bumper cover itself. Just look beneath the bumper between the exhaust pipes.

The real difficulty arises as a result of the bumper mounts which these bolts pass through, on their way into the threaded brass nut/bush.( hidden beneath the chrome strip)) The mounts, made from aluminium, can disintegrate, thanks to the ingress of muck and moisture and the use of steel bolts. (Its chemistry) Also, the brass nut/bush can rotate in its seating, making life difficult also. Dont be surprised if you have to replace the mounts! Other than that, they are held in place on either side by running onto/clipping onto plastic "guides". Look into the space between the ends of the bumper (at the wheel arch) and the actual body of the car. You'll see what I mean. Unless you have marker lights, as opposed to reflectors, you wont have any electrics to bother with. The front is the same, though not always as corroded as the rear, but with the addition of indicator and spot light plugs to disconnect. By the way, the chrome strip along the top of the bumper, can only be removed after the bumper has been taken off, as it is held on with small screws, fitted in from the rear, concealed by the cars own bodywork.

Do a search and you should find much more useful info with pics possibly.

Hope this helps.
PS an extra pair of hands wont go astray either!

The following users liked this post:
Simprof (08-29-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

PS an extra pair of hands wont go astray either!
I can help with this, Simprof.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the offer Shaune I will let you know what I decide to do, as of right now not sure whether I will keep the car or just get rid of it. I seem to be changing my mind every other day. I comes with age I'm afraid..