Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   Downpipe Modification (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/downpipe-modification-177920/)

JohnXJR6 03-08-2017 11:48 AM

Downpipe Modification

Gents, I have a leak in my downpipe due to a crack/corrosion at the y joint between the two pipes. The easiest option would be to weld it up but I was thinking that the single pipe 2 1/4 " that goes past the gearbox is a bit small for a 300 plus hp motor. I might see about replacing it with 3" or whatever can fit or a true dual system. I would prefer dual as expect it would sound better, but would be harder to make given the confines. Any opinions? I have high flow centre cats no downpipe cats and standard silencers.

JohnXJR6 05-12-2017 06:35 AM

4 Attachment(s)
To follow up. After looking under my car and considering the already limited ground clearance and space past the gearbox (GM4L80E), we decided on a single 3" section.
The downpipe joint was cut back to give almost full diameter at the flange going into a collecting cone on the new section.
The rear of the new section was reworked to give a smooth, full diameter split into the two 2 1/4" pipes and cats. Not easy with all the angles but my good old Dad is an experienced fabricator and did a nice job of it.
There was not much room for a heat shield so I used some insulation where it goes past the gearbox, which may also help reduce noise and warm up the cats.
The pictures show the old y sections compressing the pipes to half their diameter, so it should help flow. I haven't timed performance yet, but it is a bit louder than standard despite keeping the same standard silencers, only a bigger diameter pipe, but not annoying. It sounds better than the leaking original, with a deeper rumble at idle and no blowing. On the motorway you can hear a slight drone but only like a 'normal' car, and mine has more revs on due to the 4.01 gears. With the window open it is a bit louder than stock, especially under load. Sounds ok though.

XJRengineer 05-14-2017 06:46 AM

I have a completely dual system with no downpipe catalysts, modified under-floor catalysts to provide twin entry and standard under-floor and rear silencers. The exhaust note is lower frequency due to halving the gas pulse frequency through each silencer, but not actually louder. I like it.

JohnXJR6 05-15-2017 10:56 AM

I remember you posts on the matter, and largely the reason why I would have preferred dual pipes - I even bought the tubing to do it. Unfortunately I think the Auto is a lot wider at the sump than the Getrag manual so space limited. I also seem to be struggling for ground clearance on my car, despite replacing the springs and fitting the 4.5 mm packers on each end plus new original dampers - but that is another story.