Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   Drivers door. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/drivers-door-211778/)

Artie C 12-15-2018 07:06 PM

Drivers door.

Drivers door not opening. Background, door cable broke(again) replaced it about3-4 years ago. Just rolled window down and opened from outside handle. Now NOTHING. Work out side handle and feels disconnected. Don't have workshop cd/DVD (how do you get DVD to work with Windows 8,or should I upgrade to 8.1)anyway where and which door unlock relay should I check. If it's door actuator how can I remove door card with door shut. Tired of climbing over console,ready to get out the big guns. Chop saw and or torch,yes I'm mad/LOL.

Lady Penelope 12-15-2018 08:01 PM

History of door actuator becoming mechanically jammed that others would know more about

The target relay in mind is...........

Top of page 27 / Left heelboard fuse / relay location . Driver door unlock relay , swap with the lock relay

Is the left and right door relay correct label for LHD / RHD ?

Fuse # 1 / 15 amp Right heelboard fuse box for both left and right fwd doors

See page 149..

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1995.pdf

Researching

Artie C 12-15-2018 08:27 PM

Lady P, I tried every fuse I could think of under hood and left healboard. It is left hand drive car,us spec. I'm thinking page 27 means a electricity manual I think I down loaded. I'll check. THANKS MUCH.

smartobject 12-17-2018 11:31 AM

My cable is also awaiting a replacement part.

While I do have the option of the external handle opening -- you may be able to get the trim around the handle off and then use vice-grip pliers to grab the cable and pull forward to open the door.

That's what I'm doing for a few days until the part arrives.

SleekJag12 12-20-2018 12:51 AM

Did you get that door open Artie? The last guy this happened to (I don't remember who) was able to release the door latch from the inside, after he got the upper door panel mostly out of the way (its not possible to get to the front screw with the door closed). He used a slim-jim device from inside the door. That could work from the outside too, unless your car is a 1997. Those models have a guard that protects the latch from a slim-jim from the outside. Sift through the search results to find relevant threads.

It will be a neat trick to get it open, but the solution is to make sure this doesn't happen again! Disassembly will be required. There are lots of write-ups about it.

SleekJag12 12-21-2018 02:11 AM

It was VickTrader in this thread who recently discovered the anti-theft guard over the lock barrel and rod. He was very generous with his pictures of the latch and rods inside the door. It may be of good reference for you.

If you can't do as Lee (Smartobject) smartly suggested above, once you get a little access to the inside of the door you should be able to pull forward on the lever in the latch that the inside cable attaches to, in order to open the door.

Wondering if the door latch is stuck in the locked position due to sticky latch pivot points. If so, you might be able to reach the lock rod. If the car is not a 1997. The latch probably just needs a good cleaning and lube.

Artie C 12-23-2018 03:11 PM

Drivers door.

Sleek Jag, no didn't get door open yet. Work and Christmas getting in the way.
Smart Object,very good suggestion about taking latch trim off and using vicegrips/pliers to pull cable. I don't know why I didn't think of that one. I guess it's the old "can't see the forest for the trees" thing. Once again very helpfully folks here.
Also Lady P, I haven't switched the relays yet, back seat area on both sides have become a general catch all for a lot of junk. Gotta clean it up and try that out.
Thanks all. Artie C.