XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Early 95 XJRs, esp this low mileage Turquoise

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Early 95 XJRs, esp this low mileage Turquoise

The following low mileage Turquoise 1995 XJR has been linked in some other posts:

1995 Jaguar XJR 4.0L Supercharged 50K Miles

1995 Jaguar XJR 4dr Sedan 4.0L Supercharged - North Texas Auto Remarketing | Auto dealership in Dallas, Texas | Inventory

It's a pretty sharp looking car, only has 50k miles. Although I personally think it is priced a bit high, but "the market will decide" of course

What is interesting is that it may be an early production car as it doesn't have the passenger glove box. I had read somewhere else that the early 95s didn't have glove boxes as Jaguar hadn't quite figured out how to accommodate the passenger airbag and glove box. Is that true?

I guess a follow on question might them be, could one just bolt on a later passenger bolster and glove box, or is the internal dash structure too different on an early 95 to do so?

A specific question about this car: Take a look at the photo of the rear of the car. Is it an optical trick, or is the corner above the right rear tail light dented in?

Beyond some comments I've read about early OBDII decoding/scanning oddities, are there any other known "first year" gotchas, bugs, caveats or shortcomings (e.g. no glove box on some/all 95s) with the 95 versus 96/97 model years? Or conversely, are there any advantages with the 95?

Al

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 04-13-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

The car for sale above seems to have a gray (Nimbus?) interior.

The link below from a California owner seems to show that other interior colors were also available in the USA with the Turquoise color as it has a Cream interior. Also pretty sharp.

An Image from the Jag-lovers Photo Album

Old 04-13-2014, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
The following low mileage Turquoise 1995 XJR has been linked in some other posts:

1995 Jaguar XJR 4.0L Supercharged 50K Miles

1995 Jaguar XJR 4dr Sedan 4.0L Supercharged - North Texas Auto Remarketing | Auto dealership in Dallas, Texas | Inventory

It's a pretty sharp looking car, only has 50k miles. Although I personally think it is priced a bit high, but "the market will decide" of course

Sharp, yes !

Cup holder lid missing/broken.

What is interesting is that it may be an early production car as it doesn't have the passenger glove box. I had read somewhere else that the early 95s didn't have glove boxes as Jaguar hadn't quite figured out how to accommodate the passenger airbag and glove box. Is that true?

Yes.

For some reason I wanna say that Dec '94-later cars had the glove box but don't quote me on that

I guess a follow on question might them be, could one just bolt on a later passenger bolster and glove box, or is the internal dash structure too different on an early 95 to do so?

Not sure.

I think there was 'kit' available from Jaguar to install a glove box on the early '95s but it wasn't very good. Another of those vague memories. Others will chime in.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, yeah, it does look like a dent above the tail light to me.

<shrug>

Cheers
DD

Old 04-14-2014, 05:49 AM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

the glove compartment is an option, it does not come as a standard for X300, it became a standard feature on the mid to late 97

Old 04-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cool
the glove compartment is an option, it does not come as a standard for X300, it became a standard feature on the mid to late 97
Interestly there's no mention of it being optional in any of the Jaguar literature I have, and except for those early '95s I've never heard of or seen one without a glove box.

The 1995 Technical Update from Feb 1995 (Publication JLM 18 15 15/25) mentions the glove box being included but says nothing about it being optional.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Just noticed this "electric blue!" XJR has chrome tail light bezels. I am so confused. I thought all XJRs had red bezels. If that is the case, non-standard bezels could be indicative of an accident.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

The ad say's...Fully serviced and Restored...."RESTORED"???? Dealer=I'll pass. I prefer to buy my Jaguars from enthusiasts. I don't mind a dealer when they are educated about the car (not hard to just get on here and ask) and aren't trying to "fluff" it up with B.S like "restored" if I can pick the fly $hit out of the pepper then what else are they "fluffing"

Old 04-14-2014, 03:27 PM
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Interestly there's no mention of it being optional in any of the Jaguar literature I have, and except for those early '95s I've never heard of or seen one without a glove box.

The 1995 Technical Update from Feb 1995 (Publication JLM 18 15 15/25) mentions the glove box being included but says nothing about it being optional.

Cheers
DD
And from what I read about it so long ago that I forget the source, it was said that they were late in figuring out how to incorporate the SRS and glove box to live together in harmony.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks all. I thought I had heard similarly about the early units in 95, and Jaguar trying to figure out how the glovebox and airbag could co-exist.

I still wonder if it would be easy to retrofit a glovebox from a later donor car to one of these. I guess it is a rare enough issue that we may not know until we try it out.

Regarding the condition of the car, on my behalf 95XJRBlack is going to drop by the dealer sometime in the next week or so and get the skinny on the condition, history, etc of the car and hopefully be allowed to take a bunch of additional photos. If we are lucky, maybe he'll get to drive it too.

I really appreciate his doing this for me.

As an aside, turns out we both went to the same High School only two years apart. Small world.

Al

Old 04-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks all. I thought I had heard similarly about the early units in 95, and Jaguar trying to figure out how the glovebox and airbag could co-exist. I still wonder if it would be easy to retrofit a glovebox from a later donor car to one of these. I guess it is a rare enough issue that we may not know until we try it out. Regarding the condition of the car, on my behalf 95XJRBlack is going to drop by the dealer sometime in the next week or so and get the skinny on the condition, history, etc of the car and hopefully be allowed to take a bunch of additional photos. If we are lucky, maybe he'll get to drive it too. I really appreciate his doing this for me. As an aside, turns out we both went to the same High School only two years apart. Small world. Al
Here's an easy one, if he isn't allowed to take pictures, don't buy it! My wife says I'm only afraid of two things....clowns and car dealers. Now a car dealer dressed like a clown, I'm done!!!

Old 04-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

So, just chatted with the dealer about this car.

He says the car is not "restored", i.e. was wrecked or in worse shape and now repaired. He said he means by "restored" that he performed some additional maintenance on the car after he received it, such as installing new shocks.

He said that the car has been well maintained and he has quite a bit of maintenance records to that effect.

He did confirm two issues with the car:

1) There is a very small dent above the right rear tail light which he chose not to repair.

2) The console armrest cup holders are broken or missing, not sure. He says he didn't even notice that as he isn't that familiar with these cars

His description of the car is that the paint and body (other than the dent) are like new and "perfect".

According to him the interior is "perfect" as well, again other than the cup holder. He says the seats are without cracks or tears, although I can see some creases in the photos and can see that a mobile phone mount was once attached to the side of the console on the passenger side.

I guess we'll see what the reality is once 95XJRBlack can check it out.

Now I think the car is even more overpriced though to tell you the truth. $9k would be for a truly "perfect" and exceptional car IMHO. Will be curious to see what he'll actually take for the car, if I even remain interested following the visit.

As an aside, do we know if the standard features on the 95 were as fully featured as the later two years, e.g. heated mirrors/seats, memory seats/mirrors/column, etc?

Still hoping to find a 95 XJR brochure with all that info. I have some 95 brochures coming from eBay, but it looks like they may not have all the standard/optional info in them. Will see.

Al

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 04-14-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

If you can obtain the VIN# via email or in person by photo, I would contact a local Jaguar dealer to confirm any dealership work done to it as most, if not all will give you that info free of charge provided you don't make a habit of asking.

I agree with the cost being too high. While the it may seem like small issues exist which are common to these cars (such as missing/not working cup holders) I would certainly expect for that price range those problems shouldn't exist.

Good luck as it *looks* good!

Old 04-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Get him down to $7k-7.5k and then you talking. I agree with shaune, at the price he wants I would expect pristine visually at the least. They price high anyways, I'd say you stand a good chance at $7k. He will try to bring up only 50k miles, thats great but it's still a 19yr old car, age takes it's toll as well as miles.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

As an aside, do we know if the standard features on the 95 were as fully featured as the later two years, e.g. heated mirrors/seats, memory seats/mirrors/column, etc?
The 'memory' feature and heated front seats were standard on 1995 USA XJRs. I *think* the heated mirrors were standard issue on every X300 made.

I might add that failures/partial failures of the memory sytem are common. I'll throw out a guess that at least half of 'em out there are not functional or not fully functional. Repairs are not particular easy or inexpensive so lots of people shrug it off, I think.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shaune
If you can obtain the VIN# via email or in person by photo, I would contact a local Jaguar dealer to confirm any dealership work done to it as most, if not all will give you that info free of charge provided you don't make a habit of asking.

Worth a try but all you'll get is a record of *warranty* repairs done at dealership, as these records are kept in the corporate data base for all Jag dealers to access. Non-warranty repairs are not reported to the Jaguar data base, and the dealers themselves are not on a network/shared system....at least not in the USA.

Carfax is one possibility to see service/repair records....but not all dealers (or other repair shops) participate in the Carfax system. (And, as it turns out, many dealers were *unknowingly* participating...but that's another story.).

Cheers
DD

Old 04-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks all, I have requested the VIN.

Will be interesting to see how it looks in person once 95XJRBlack can check it out with a critical eye, esp since he has a 95 too.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

"Restored" means to him he changed the shocks??? Didn't notice the cup holder missing???? What did he think that hole was for????(not familiar with these cars?? Based on his price I guess he really doesn't or it's be LOWER) As a car dealer he doesn't know how to google "XJR car interior under images" ?? Man I don't envy you in your search. Maybe he should stick to peddling Chevys and Fords. Seriously, typical car salesman dribble...I'm sure the car looked worse before he slapped some lipstick on it and "restored" it. Sorry to sound so harsh but this sort of thing drives me batty, I just finally hang up on them as I realize things are going from bad to worse.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

The word 'restored' is virtually meaningless these days.

I'm working on a 'no expense spared restoration' GTO right now. Runs and drives fantastic. And on the surface it looks super, too. But the exhaust hangers are literally made from metal scraps, half the electricals don't work, all four headlights are a different type, windhshield squirters and hoses are not even present, engine breather pipe missing, etc etc.

When all the details are sorted it'll make a great 'driver quality' refurbished car. But, restoration? Ha!

Cheers
DD

Old 04-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I always joke with my wife that my definition of "like new", "perfect" or even "very good" seems to differ a great deal from many people. I've learned that the hard way over many years of buying things online and on eBay, etc.

Another couple things I'll want to check out on this car is the panel gap between the trunk lid and the right rear fender given that corner dent. The photos we have so far aren't conclusive, but the gap looks a tad narrower on the passenger side. That may be an illusion though.

I also seem to see some checking on the drivers door wood and around the shifter wood, that also could be a trick of the photography though.

And although the seller says the seats are "perfect" one of the initial photos looks like there may be some discoloration/wear on the drivers seat left hand bolster.

Al

Quick Reply: Early 95 XJRs, esp this low mileage Turquoise