Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   Electric seat moves but not when using memory (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/electric-seat-moves-but-not-when-using-memory-6089/)

rparker 05-13-2008 07:39 PM

Electric seat moves but not when using memory

Hi all,

Just picked up my 1996 XJR and tried to program the driver seat position into memory. The programming seemed to work fine, I got the light on the Memory switch and a beep after pressing the number 1, but then when we put my wife's seat position into memory 2, the seat won't move back to memory 1 position when requested. The mirrors, headrest and steering wheel all move, just not the forward/backward motion of the seat.

I see talk of potentiometers being the culprit, is there an easy way to diagnose and fix this problem?

Cheers,

Richard

jag_genius 05-14-2008 09:07 PM

RE: Electric seat moves but not when using memory

not really an easy way.. need a wiring diagram and a volt meter..

rparker 05-15-2008 10:09 AM

RE: Electric seat moves but not when using memory

I have a voltmeter, but no wiring diagram. Can anyone help?!

I guess if it's a potentiometer that's causing it, the problem is that the memory stores the value of the potentiometer which is never changing, so when asked to move to a stored position it already thinks it's there?

mad1ben2 05-15-2008 01:03 PM

I used the instructions supplied and all pots work except...

the one that moves the seat back. I'd love some direction on how to reset that potentiameter. I'm handy at diy and I have a meter, but would need specific directions :)

it would REALLY be nice to be able to use the 'seat exit/entry' function because I find it tight getting in/out of this car... and I have to disable that function due to the memory malfunction.

rparker 05-15-2008 01:12 PM

RE: I used the instructions supplied and all pots work except...

When you say "instructions supplied" what instructions are you referring to, or am I being really dense! It'as quite possible that I have missed some instructions somewhere...

Richard

mad1ben2 05-15-2008 01:28 PM

Ok, I pulled up my cheat sheet of stuff I've collected off various sites... Here's what I have for checking the pots..

Memory Seat – checking for bad potentiometers[/b]
"You may have a faulty potentiometer for one of the seat movements. The way to check them is to first set all movements to the mid-way position. Then run each one to it's full position & press the [/b]memory button. If the led lights up run it fully the other way and press the button. Return it to the mid position and go to the next movement. Check all ranges, front cushion up/down, rear cushion up/down, cushion forward/backward, seat back raise/recline and headrest up/down. Remember to return each one to the mid position before trying the next one. If one fails to light the led you have a bad or out of adjustment potentiometer for that movement function."

I did this and found only the one pot to be off (the one that moves the seat back forward/rear). When I attempt to use my memory seat function the seat back just goes back and back... obviously doesn't 'know' where it is.

Here's what I found on adjusting the pots (contains some testing instructions too)..

Adjusting Potentiometers:[/b]
"Remove the seat, tear it apart for access, reinstall it loosely, get out your digital volt meter and get ready.

You have to set each range of motion to the middle position, run it fully one way, press the memory button and hope the LED lights up, run it fully the other way, press the button and hope again and repeat for each of the 8 ways the seat moves. If the LED doesn't light up you have to adjust the potentiometer for that motor. Even the headrest has to be tested. If that one has to be adjusted the rear of the seat has to come apart.

You use a small screwdriver to turn the adjuster screw on each potentiometer while watching the volt meter. Each range of motion should produce a feedback voltage at the limit of its travel. For instance, headrest fully raised--4.36 volts. Fully retracted--0.14 volts. Same for each other range (forward/rearward, seat back recline, etc.)

This is really not something you'd want to get into on your own and I would strongly suggest having a qualified technician do it for you."

Can anyone tell me where the pot is that adjusts the seat back? Seems if I can get access to that pot that I can attempt to adjust it so that the voltages peak as described above... or atleast play with it until I can dial it in.

I apologize for not giving credit where credit is due on these posts... I did not capture the original poster's name.

rparker 05-15-2008 02:18 PM

Thanks for the procedure.

I just went and followed the advice and I get a red light at all seat limits! I did have to push the memory button twice at some of them, but that may just be me not pushing hard enough the first time.

It's really annoying that the seat will move, just not under memory!

Are there any more suggestions for me to try?

Cheers,

Richard