Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   erratic idle and black smoke (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/erratic-idle-black-smoke-217936/)

spurs 05-17-2019 05:47 PM

erratic idle and black smoke

hi all, have been having a bit of trouble with the old girl lately. sometimes she will stall at red lights or stop signs. starts up ok with a bit of black smoke and seems to run ok till the next idle it will sometimes stall again or run rough. the fuel consumption is down a bit. this only happens now and again. any ideas on what to check. thanks.

Grant Francis 05-17-2019 07:47 PM

First thoughts, as basics.

Clean the throttle body and throttle disc, "Jaguar Black Goo" will cause erratic idle and stalling.

Replace the Coolant Temp Sensor, the one with 2 wires for the ECU, as old age is against it now and maybe erratic signals to the ECU for fueling.

These both sorted my 3.2 a long time ago.

spurs 05-17-2019 08:54 PM

thanks grant will check these out. the coolant temp. sensor, is that the one on top of the thermostat housing?

Grant Francis 05-17-2019 09:17 PM

Yep, the one with the 2 wire Injector style plug, The other is the Temp gauge unit.

Vee 05-21-2019 07:14 PM

1. Definitely clean the throttle body. Don’t be lazy, take the darn thing g completely off so you can give it a thorough cleaning on both sides.

2. EGR May be on its way out. That should eventually throw a code. If it’s stalling out, there should be a code. Can you share?

Grant Francis 05-21-2019 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vee (Post 2074179)
1. Definitely clean the throttle body. Don’t be lazy, take the darn thing g completely off so you can give it a thorough cleaning on both sides.

2. EGR May be on its way out. That should eventually throw a code. If it’s stalling out, there should be a code. Can you share?

Oh I am soooooo glad we no got EGR, too many issues I read constantly.

Forgot, your market has little piece of engineering marvel.

spurs 05-22-2019 01:14 AM

changed the coolant temp. sensor but seems the same.plugs have not been changed for some time so will do those on the weekend. if that is no good will look at taking the throttle body off for a clean. have not got a code reader yet, funds are very low at the moment, but will look into getting one soon. P.S. what make and number plugs are best for this model?

Vee 05-22-2019 07:42 AM

Anyone will work. Depends whether you want a simple one, a complicated one or one that can be read by your phone.

1. I have a u480 obd2 reader
2. I use Yhasi Movi Pro with my MacBook
3. I have OBD Fusion for my iPhone

You will need an ELM27 dongle for #2 and #3, make sure it's a Bluetooth dongle if you want to use an iPhone. The MacBook, I believe can use a WiFi dongle. They cost the same, but they don't work the same.

Don B 05-22-2019 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by spurs (Post 2074302)
P.S. what make and number plugs are best for this model?

Champion RC12YC are the correct plugs for your engine. Don't bother with more expensive precious-metal types or multi-ground-electrode types.

Originally Posted by Vee (Post 2074429)
..make sure it's a Bluetooth dongle if you want to use an iPhone. The MacBook, I believe can use a WiFi dongle. They cost the same, but they don't work the same.

I use a Bluetooth ELM327 and Torque Pro app with my Android phone. The ELM327 OBDII Bluetooth adapters can be purchased from eBay sellers for under USD $10.00, and the Torque Pro app is $5.00 from the google Play store.

My understanding from other members is that iPhones require a WiFi OBDII adapter (dongle). Vee, are you certain you are using a Bluetooth dongle with your iPhone?

Cheers,

Don

spurs 05-22-2019 05:11 PM

hi don, i done a quick search the other day and came up with RC9XC & RC9YCC both of these were for the 4.0 6cyl. supercharged motor. are they the same as the RC12YC?

Don B 05-22-2019 07:36 PM

6 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by spurs (Post 2074699)
hi don, i done a quick search the other day and came up with RC9XC & RC9YCC both of these were for the 4.0 6cyl. supercharged motor. are they the same as the RC12YC?

Hi spurs,

Jaguar subsequently revised the spark plug specification for both N/A and S/C engines to the hotter RC12YCC ("double copper") plug, which is no longer available, so today we use the RC12YC, which is identical in performance.

I'm attaching one of the TSBs that announced the change in specification to Jaguar spark plug part number EBC 8143, and a second TSB that reveals that Jaguar EBC 8143 is actually Champion RC12YCC.

Cheers,

Don