XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Water pump hose

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 02:52 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Water pump hose

My water pump hose failed today. The one that runs parallel to the block from the water pump to the water rail under the intake manifold. Massive spilt that runs almost the full length. I was trying to keep up with my father in-law in his Honda S2000 and I gave it a kick down and high rev. Seems that caused a big enough pressure spike to blow it apart.

Thankfully I noticed the low level light and pulled over just as the temp guage started to move up so I'm hopeful I won't have any overheating damage.

I replaced this hose under 4 years ago (66k km / 41k miles) and had only inspected it a couple of weeks back and thought it was still in good condition and I'd give it another 6months.

Given this seems to be a common occurrence with this hose if you've been thinking of replacing this hose, do it asap. And if you haven't been thinking of replacing it, you should be. I'm considering fabricating a section of stainless steel pipe and joining each end with a short section of silicon hose. This hose cops the full pressure of the water pump and can't cope with enthusiastic driving!

The following 2 users liked this post by marke:
Mark Murphy (07-29-2018), Richardhw (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 03:30 AM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't suppose you would happen to know the part number of that hose would you ? seems like a sensible idea to have one on hand at least as a standby.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:49 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

It's NBC2273AB. My failed hose was non-genuine.
Perhaps in this case it's worth paying up for a genuine part. I've always been a bit dubious of the price charged for genuine stuff, I reckon some parts are probably made in the same factory and just get different labels put on them.

The following users liked this post:
Richardhw (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 06:01 AM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for that, I was having some difficulty finding it for some reason ! I can see why you went for non genuine too !!

Old 07-30-2018, 10:12 AM
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

Marke, the idea of running a stainless steel tube seems like a good idea and got me thinking about a possible other solution, how about a stainless or even aluminum tube of the correct diameter and length inside the rubber hose? That way would only require 2 clamps instead of 4. A tube with a very snug fit inside the hose would prevent pressure blowouts. The length of the tube would have to be measured very accurately so you would only be clamping the rubber of the hose on each end. Just an idea.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You could run a stainless hose for that matter (probably would need someone to manufacture it for you)

Old 07-30-2018, 01:59 PM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

I replaced all the hoses on my 3.2 5 years ago after a burst heater hose and total loss of coolant. At the time the complete set of genuine hoses was NZD$1000 for the parts (ouch), but no problems since.

i think genuine is the way to go, even though the complete set was variously “ Made in ....” 5 or 6 different EU countries. One was even made in UK.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

What about a "better" hose?

I don't know that using an internal metal tube would really protect the hose from failing as the pressure would still be uniform within the hose. And although people love silicone hoses these days, I've seen quite a few get cut by clamps or just made poorly more for fashion than durability.

This hose is in an unfortunate location, especially for XJR owners, so it would indeed be ideal to make it "indestructible".

Just looking around, I've seen a number of manufacturers that make hydraulic hose up to 2 inches that support several thousand PSI. And I've had some racing fuel lines over an inch in diameter that push on to AN fittings without a clamp that I swear will outlast any vehicle they are installed upon. I think the hose on the X300 is somewhere between 2.5-3 inches? So I wonder if there is some very heavy duty hose that could be used that would be far over-engineered and never fail in this application?