Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   Front Suspension Coil Spring Red Painted Line (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/front-suspension-coil-spring-red-painted-line-117086/)

BigBossRadio 05-03-2014 10:25 AM

Front Suspension Coil Spring Red Painted Line

Hi Everyone

Good Morning and I have a question re: MY 97 xj6 front Spring Coil appears to have a painted red line running across the spring. Does anyone know what it's significance is?

Thanks Folks

BigBoss in Dallas TX :icon_call:

al_roethlisberger 05-08-2014 09:03 PM

Interesting question, I have no idea, but also am curious if there is any significance.

Doug 05-08-2014 10:18 PM

Generally speaking those types of paint stripes are used for parts identification on the assembly line

Cheers
DD

al_roethlisberger 05-08-2014 10:35 PM

Was curious if they were perhaps some indicator of a different spec spring.

Doug 05-08-2014 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger (Post 971595)
Was curious if they were perhaps some indicator of a different spec spring.

Virtually assured, if my assumption is correct.

Rather than looking at codes or part numbers when grabbing parts to assemble a suspension an assemblyman knew that (to make up an example) USA market XJRs got springs with one yellow stripe, ROW XJRs got springs with two blue stripes, a base XJ6 got springs with no stripes, etc.

Cheers
DD

BigBossRadio 05-09-2014 07:32 AM

Doug
Thanks for that insight....... That makes sense.....
I'm about to replace the front shocks this weekend. So wish me success.

BigBoss in Dallas TX

AllanG 05-09-2014 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 971604)
Virtually assured, if my assumption is correct.

Rather than looking at codes or part numbers when grabbing parts to assemble a suspension an assemblyman knew that (to make up an example) USA market XJRs got springs with one yellow stripe, ROW XJRs got springs with two blue stripes, a base XJ6 got springs with no stripes, etc.

Doug is exactly right. US touring suspension cars received springs with red stripe. I would imagine that the XJR models had a different colour stripe.

dfieldsend 05-09-2014 03:11 PM

If your car still has springs with these stripes on, they probably need changing as they are the original ones from factory and thus 17 odd years old

BigBossRadio 05-09-2014 03:23 PM

Thanks again guys for that insight....... at least something is still original

on my cat.........

The only "touring" I do now is to and from the grocery store, airport and and the local watering holes.....

So I guess the springs will stay

:icon_lol:
BigBoss Dallas

al_roethlisberger 05-09-2014 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by dfieldsend (Post 972122)
If your car still has springs with these stripes on, they probably need changing as they are the original ones from factory and thus 17 odd years old

No doubt springs can sag, or even break (as they did on my Roadmaster's fronts), but generally they don't wear out with normal use unless under-spec'd or overloaded.

That being said, is there some consensus that the regular XJ or XJR springs do need to be changed after 15ish or more years?

I haven't noted that as a common recommendation in the threads here yet, but...

Al

Doug 05-09-2014 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger (Post 972227)
That being said, is there some consensus that the regular XJ or XJR springs do need to be changed after 15ish or more years?

Not that I'm aware of.

The only objective determination I'm aware of is to measure ride height. If your car has a bad case of the droops, change the springs. This might be more critical on X300s than other cars since there's is no camber adjustment...but I'm not aware of X300s being unusually hard on springs or replacing them as a matter of routine.

Cheers
DD

BigBossRadio 05-10-2014 08:05 AM

Doug

Thanks for that input....... That sounds like the only way to be sure about the springs. Though I can't imagine my replacing them yet since I do very little driving these days.........

The front shocks need replacing and I plan on doing that today, so wish me luck
:icon_rally:
BigBoss in Dallas

MY 97 XJ6