Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   Good ole key fob (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/good-ole-key-fob-216709/)

Godspeed 04-21-2019 09:35 AM

Good ole key fob

Newbie. Followed correct procedure to sync fob to car. Hear chirps. Closed boot and door. Correct new batteries in fob.
Still will not lock or unlock doors. I have scoured the posts. Could a weak auto battery be the culprit?
Any ideas?
1996 XJ6 VP

Vee 04-22-2019 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Godspeed (Post 2058566)
Newbie. Followed correct procedure to sync fob to car. Hear chirps. Closed boot and door. Correct new batteries in fob.
Still will not lock or unlock doors. I have scoured the posts. Could a weak auto battery be the culprit?
Any ideas?
1996 XJ6 VP

A weak battery absolutely can be the cause. On my XJS, when the remote starts locking/unlocking the doors in funny ways, I know the battery is about 6 months out from being shot.

Weak batteries wreak havoc on my car’s auto locking doors.

However, while we got you, what seems to be the problem? Total no locking with the remote? Manually locking with key works? On all doors? What about when in the car and manually locking, does it work? On all doors?

Is the problem only when using the fob? Locking and unlocking are both not working the same way? Does the cat chirp when pressing the fob button, so that we know the car understands the signal?

Godspeed 04-22-2019 06:59 PM

Tested the battery with my multi meter. 12 off and 14 running.
Drove car.
can lock door by pressing the door look or dash button while driving
stop and park
car off
cant lock doors
key fobs programed
new batteries.
never worked.

Jagwire64 04-23-2019 08:55 AM

I would hazard a guess the fob is the problem. Had the same issue with the Jag fob that came with my car. Bought 2 used Saab fobs on the bay for $15 ....they work well.

Godspeed 04-23-2019 11:18 AM

Trunk light remains illuminated on the dash. Bought the car that way.
Trunk is closed.
Lights in trunk do not work
How to resolve this?
Could this be the issue with the locking system?

Vee 04-23-2019 12:20 PM

Ok. I think we’ve eliminated the battery. (Only because you’re not experiencing any issues locking the doors other ways. A weak battery would have wonky effects even when locking doors without using the FOB)

There is probably a relay or security module that’s causing the problem. If it never worked, it may have been deactivated. A dealer or someone with a WDS or PDU could probably reactivate it, if it was indeed deactivated. I’m not absolutely sure that feature could be deactivated though....

Can you tell me how the car responds when you do press the fob button?

Godspeed 04-30-2019 08:44 AM

Update.
Able to lock the auto with the key turned to the left
locks trunk as well.
Able to open the auto with the key turned to the right.
Able to open the trunk with the jag button.
Ill take that for now.