XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Stripping an X300, what do you keep?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Stripping an X300, what do you keep?

As the title says, what do you keep? I'm considering stripping my donor car and disposing of the body shell, as I could use the garage it's in, to house my little restoration project. My car is a 4.0l, without a sunroof and the donor car is a 3.2 with a sunroof, so some parts aren't interchangeable, but aside from that most parts are.

I have already taken the coils out as spares and used a few little bits and pieces, but I would also take out the alternator, ac pump, radiators, steering rack and pump etc. with a view to overhauling them as "ready to use" replacements. Doors, boot lid, bonnet and interior would also be salvaged and any lights, interior and exterior.

So, any thoughts as to "must have" parts? I'm keen to salvage as much as possible as XJ6's aren't too common here and I suspect that buying parts would be either difficult or very costly.

FWIW, I would need to be able to tow the car to a local "end of life" breakers, who will take whatever is left, for free.

So, any thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:08 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Hi sogood,

The sunroof mechanism probably doesn't have much value, but the motor could be sold.

Based on salvaged parts I or friends have had to purchase to keep their aging Jags alive, some additional things I would consider keeping if they are compatible with your car are:

Mirrors (all three)
Instrument cluster
Radio & AC control panel
Radio antenna motor and mast
High mount brake light
All electronic modules (ECM, TCM, BPM, ABS, etc.)
Relays and relay modules
Fuse boxes
Gear selector mechanism
HVAC blower motor housings
Radiator cooling fans and cowl
Coolant reservoir / expansion-header tank
Power steering fluid reservoir
Windscreen/windshield washer fluid reservoir
Steering wheel & cowl
Fuel tank cap
Cam cover
Throttle body
Fuel injectors (might as well keep the rail too)
Brake master cylinder
Pedal rubbers if good (accelerator & brake)
Air bags?
Differential (if the gearing is the same as in your car)
Wheelarch liners (if in better nick than the ones on your car)
Bumpers and covers
Body side moldings if applicable
Body badges
Windshield cowl / lower finisher

All of that could take up some storage space, so you may have to prioritize, but since I'm a pack rat I'm mentioning everything I can think of that you haven't already itemized.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
MountainMan (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

The way to keep your Jag is perfect running order is to keep everything. You know as soon as you throw something away you'll need one the next week

Seriously, to add to Don's comprehensive list I'd keep all door/boot lock mechanisms, window motors, fuel pump and regulator, door waist finishers (if serviceable), MAF and TPS.

Also, for all the electrics you keep, cut the cables and keep the plug/socket - these are often a culprit but also serve as great break-out cables for testing.

If you want to sell something, I need the little black oval shaped finisher/washer that sits between the wiper arm and the cowl (lost mine!)

The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 04:47 PM

Thanks for that. You've listed pretty much everything I considered and a few extras too. I didn't make a list as it might go on forever!

Anything "electronic" will certainly be stripped out as these little black boxes seem to cost the earth. I was also thinking of taking the wings/fenders off as they seem to just bolt on?

Old 01-05-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by b1mcp
The way to keep your Jag is perfect running order is to keep everything. You know as soon as you throw something away you'll need one the next week

Seriously, to add to Don's comprehensive list I'd keep all door/boot lock mechanisms, window motors, fuel pump and regulator, door waist finishers (if serviceable), MAF and TPS.

Also, for all the electrics you keep, cut the cables and keep the plug/socket - these are often a culprit but also serve as great break-out cables for testing.

If you want to sell something, I need the little black oval shaped finisher/washer that sits between the wiper arm and the cowl (lost mine!)
I'd leave the doors intact when I remove them, complete with locks, handles etc. Thanks for the input and if you PM an address to me, I'll gladly post you the bit you're looking for.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Originally Posted by sogood
I was also thinking of taking the wings/fenders off as they seem to just bolt on?

Yes, the front ones just screw/bolt on and I think you'll already be removing most of the parts that are in the way of removal so if you have the storage room, keeping them would be a good idea for future repairs of rust or collision. I'm not sure if the rear wings/quarter panels are bolted on or welded, but I'm sure another member will know.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

So, you might end up keeping 90% of the car! It's hard to know where to draw the line. In the "almost anything electrical" category, keep the brake light switch. Also, small interior trim parts (EG. ski slope trim panels etc) seem to be horribly expensive to replace, keep these if in good condition.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

There are not enough parts on these cars that fail regularly to make the removal and storage worthwhile with the exception of the ecu, the coils, the heater pump, and maybe a MAF and TB. Anyone who wants to pull a part from my X-300 before I scrap it should just drop by south Atlanta and have at it!

Old 01-06-2015, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
There are not enough parts on these cars that fail regularly to make the removal and storage worthwhile with the exception of the ecu, the coils, the heater pump, and maybe a MAF and TB. Anyone who wants to pull a part from my X-300 before I scrap it should just drop by south Atlanta and have at it!
That being as it is, Murphys Law is alive and well and no doubt, as soon as I dispose of something, next day, I need it, as was previously mentioned. And as spare parts are thin on the ground here in Ireland, I'm inclined to err on the side of caution.

Point taken though!

Old 01-07-2015, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I hear you! That's how I now have two parts cars with most parts still on them, and a retired X-300 that was my daily driver.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

If one has the space (which admittedly is a significant consideration) I've found that there is no better place to "store" spare parts than on a donor car itself.

Especially if one is saving a lot of the parts such as doors, panels and interior, it surprisingly doesn't really save much space to break it down.

And one maintains the "relationships" of the parts to one another and keeps them from getting dinged up in a box if the car is whole.

But I hear you if you don't have the room to keep the entire car sitting around....