Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   Inertia switch question? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/inertia-switch-question-83934/)

JagfanNYC 11-01-2012 06:50 PM

Inertia switch question?

I was driving this evening going around 20mph. Then I hit a big pot hole on the passenger side, right after that the car beeped and turned off. No warning lights came on. Right after that the car wouldn't start I thought I did some great damage. No warning lights came on just like radio and interior dome light. So I knew it wasn't the battery. I searched a little and read about the inertia switch, I eventually found it pressed it. Then the car started! So my question is could the inertia switch make it so the car wouldn't even crank? I thought I had a loose ground.

Grant Francis 11-01-2012 07:19 PM

I am assuming an X300 ?????.

Not sure what it kills on mine, never tried it.

On the XJ-S it kills the fuel pump circuit. The S2 XJ12 does the same, and also the starter circuit, not sure if that is by design or just old age.

I reckon you got other gremlins, but if its running and doing what it should, dont mess with it.

JagfanNYC 11-01-2012 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis (Post 612705)
I am assuming an X300 ?????.

Not sure what it kills on mine, never tried it.

On the XJ-S it kills the fuel pump circuit. The S2 XJ12 does the same, and also the starter circuit, not sure if that is by design or just old age.

I reckon you got other gremlins, but if its running and doing what it should, dont mess with it.

I hope I do not have any gremlins. When I got home I restarted the car and it did start up. One thing that was odd was when the car wouldn't start when I put on the headlights only the passenger side light would come on. When I hit the high beams then they would all come on. Then after I pressed the Inertia switch both lights came on

Grant Francis 11-02-2012 04:13 AM

Bugga, I need a drink, so do you.

The inertia switch has NOTHING to do with headlights, full stop.

I would start by checking some earth wires, and the main battery cable connector at the +ve battery terminal.

Something else is loose, and caused those outages.

Reading my handbook and other stuff I got, the inertia switch is "fuel circuit safety OFF", which was my thoughts in the first place.

Brutal 11-02-2012 07:53 AM

The inertia switch kills fuel pump and yes a pothole or a wheel weight coming off the wheel will trip the inertia switch

JagfanNYC 11-02-2012 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal (Post 612955)
The inertia switch kills fuel pump and yes a pothole or a wheel weight coming off the wheel will trip the inertia switch

I drove again today and the car drove normal.

sparkenzap 11-05-2012 11:41 PM

I'm betting the headlamp is intermittent and will fail completely soon,