XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Jaguar Xj 3.2 Sport (1996)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Jaguar Xj 3.2 Sport (1996)

Hi all
I'm new to your forum so will try to explain all..
I am buying X300 model jag (3 to 6 weeks to pick it up) And wanted to know were i can get a wire-mesh grille without breaking the bank...
just to update the front on the car...

Old 03-11-2013, 03:37 PM

Also does the car have a diagnostic port (OBD) if so were is it located please

Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi there. I just recently purchased an xj6 and didnt like the grill in front and wanted a mesh one. i bought one on ebay from allautotoys. it was 80 bucks and 15 shipping. 95 total aint bad. its good quality but i had to remove my radiator to put it in. the old one can come out with our removing the radiator, but since you now have a mesh grill, theres not room to get at the four bolts. not hard to remove the radiator at all, also you will have to lift out the a/c condensor as well. i tried uploading the pic but this website never lets me upload photos. I would go with allautotoys if i was you. there is another one on ebay for like 120 also.

The following users liked this post:
gary27 (03-12-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

On a UK spec (RHD) model the OBD socket is just to the left of the driver's left shin.

gary27 (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 01:44 AM
Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by newguy12
Hi there. I just recently purchased an xj6 and didnt like the grill in front and wanted a mesh one. i bought one on ebay from allautotoys. it was 80 bucks and 15 shipping. 95 total aint bad. its good quality but i had to remove my radiator to put it in. the old one can come out with our removing the radiator, but since you now have a mesh grill, theres not room to get at the four bolts. not hard to remove the radiator at all, also you will have to lift out the a/c condensor as well. i tried uploading the pic but this website never lets me upload photos. I would go with allautotoys if i was you. there is another one on ebay for like 120 also.
Yeah, not everyone wants to buy stuff from US of A and pay millions of pounds in postage and then another lot in import tax... Right now there's few on eBay but they are going for at least 135 quid, but I just suggest getting good quality mesh and DIY it. I'll have a look at mine and let you know how difficult would it be. And if you're afraid to mess up yours, you can always get a spare one cheap from breakers

Old 03-12-2013, 03:30 AM

I just checked my grille, it should be quite easy to DIY mesh into it. You should be able to detach the vertical bars from original grille without damaging the chrome surround, which you want to keep. Then it's just case of inserting the good quality mesh and attaching it from behind. Of course, to make it look good, it would have to be pressed to the right shape to make it look like the 135 quid ones, but that shouldn't be difficult either. If you need any more advice, let me know

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar Xj 3.2 Sport (1996)-4e5466b7dc69f1314154167_blog_zps10ba96a8.jpg  
Old 03-12-2013, 04:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by FireCrow
I just checked my grille, it should be quite easy to DIY mesh into it. You should be able to detach the vertical bars from original grille without damaging the chrome surround .............
The diagram in the Parts Catalogue shows clearly how the Radiator Grill Vane Blocks (item 2) are attached to the Grille Surround (item 1):

Jaguar Xj 3.2 Sport (1996)-x300-grille.jpg

Two lugs on the bottom of the Grille Vane Block locate in the Grille Surround and the top is then secured with two self tapping screws (item 6).

The Grille Mesh has a different fixing method. Again it clips in on lugs at the bottom but two Retaining Clips (item 4) and self tapping screws (item 13) secure it at the top.

FireCrow (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 01:32 PM

Do you know what really pee's me off.
Is people who say a car your buying is crap.
This one is an X300 (3.2 XJ Sport 1996)

Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Gary27, its usually the ignorant or the envious who get a kick out of making comments like that, so treat them with the contempt they deserve!

If the comment relates to your 3.2, which is often maligned compared to the 4.0, then ignore it. Neither will give F1 performance and both will give you a sublime ride. On my 3.2 Sport I fitted Andy's revised crank sensor bracket, a K&N air filter, modified the air box to create an extra port with intake pipe leading low under the radiator to pull cool air, changed to full synthetic trans fluid, and I run my tyres at 38psi. Resulting from these few tweaks is a great performing car, significantly better than when I bought it. She pulls well, kicks down well (despite the absence of a sport mode on the trans for this model!) and cruises magnificently. Enjoy your X300, you've bought one of Jag's finest!

gary27 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 04:08 AM

Thanks jagent
These mods you have can i get them on to mine is there a link or any photo's..
To been honest the jag is for me n my girlfriend to potter about in while the kids are in school..
Are kid car is the volvo XC90 and i dont really drive fast nowadays bit to old for that.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:09 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gary27
Do you know what really pee's me off.
Is people who say a car your buying is crap.
This one is an X300 (3.2 XJ Sport 1996)
I've had more positive comments about my (rather sheddy, but getting there!) X300 than any other car since my Triumph Spitfire. People love it, and think it's worth a fortune! You're bound to get negativity from someone though - usually one who's in the process of losing ££££s in depreciation (/HP) on a nondescript hatchback...

gary27 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 04:13 AM

Check out the link in my signature, I have similar mods in mine Cheap and cheerful

gary27 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 04:24 AM

Thanks for the uplift chaps..
I am still getting her no matter what..
I have her in the paint shop now getting a rather shabby roof painted..
The mods jagent is on about is worth a look and to fit on my car..
Jagent what fluid did you put in your gearbox and did you do the filter

Old 03-13-2013, 05:57 AM

If you don't know when the oil has been changed, then yes, change the filter as well. If you're changing type of oil, then definitely change filter About oil, I can't give you much advice, I'm on manual gearbox
On the side notes, I got my filter second hand from eBay for few quid, it fitted just right. Fortunately I've had K&N cleaning kit at home already, so that was sorted easily. Then it was just a case of modifying the airbox (dremel comes handy), and leading the intake pipe under the bumper (which meant making the hole below the airbox slightly bigger). And then there was the famous Andy's bracket, which takes less than 5 minutes to change, even if you don't really know what you're doing You can read more about the bracket here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nigines-66536/
And there should be email address so you can get in touch with Andy directly All the best and keep us updated, post some pictures of your ride, when you get it

Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 AM

Hi firecrow
I am pretty good with the spanners etc, its just i dont do a lot nowadays i have a guy who looks after my cars..
If the picture loads this is my jag and the black one along side is a V8 sadly the engine went on that one and i think he would like to sell her on..

Anyway my mate who owns jags said the same as you guys his knowledge of jags is extensive and he is a painter who is sorting the paintwork on my one

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar Xj 3.2 Sport (1996)-jag-one.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

That looks great! The chrome/wood on mine has definitely grown on me, but I would originally have preferred a sport...

gary27 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM

Cheers ziggy
i have foung 2 patches of rust bubbling on the front wings..
They will be changed lol

Old 03-13-2013, 12:45 PM

that is lovely looking ride, mate! I had rust in the same spots, i sorted it out temporarily, until I pick up some welding skills. But it seems to work for now, all painted as well, matching the colour. But hey, I just love messing around with all the stuff possible I tend to do all my repairs on the driveway, just for fun

Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM

On mine it has a badge missing from the door pillar its the one between the doors only small but i have no idea were to get one from..
its suppose to say 3.2 sport

Just seen how much these badges are flippin eck £13.00 odd each.
To order 2 with postage and vat comes out at £40 come on for two badges thats day light robbery (at least dick turpin wore a mask)
Then you look at other parts for the jag which you would assume are expensive and there cheaper than the badges..
And there's me thinking volvo were expensive...

Unless anyone know's of someone who has one or a pair for sale i will be grateful

Attached Images  

Last edited by gary27; 03-13-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Gary27, The trans fluid I use is Penrite ATF full synthetic. It's a very well respected brand in our market but may not be available in the UK. Any of the major brand full synthetics should do it, check their websites for info. re compatibility. You need to do a complete flush to wash out the existing mineral fluid (takes about 7 litres to do that, then 7.4 litres to refill), and yes a new filter is a must! I had the job done by a workshop who have the flushing equip., can be a bit messy for DIY

The crank sensor bracket is simple to fit and very worthwhile. It gives me better acceleration, although I haven't found any great improvements in fuel economy with mine. To order, follow the thread link that Firecrow provided.

The air filter is a stock K&N that I ordered direct from them online, half the price of off-shelf items in our local auto shops, even with postage paid. Drops straight into the air box. The box mod. I did myself using some PVC plumbing pieces and flexible pipe. This is fitted to a hole I cut in the inner side wall of the box, opposite the existing intake. I will take a couple of pics and post them up for you later today. The logic for me is that unlike cone filters (which eliminate the box) mine sources cold air rather than hot air from around the engine. There are a heap of variations that people have tried for improving cold air intake, I chose mine for simplicity and low cost, and its easily reversible (although I wont be changing it, it works for me!)

gary27 (03-14-2013)

Quick Reply: Jaguar Xj 3.2 Sport (1996)