Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   Left side indicators not working. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/left-side-indicators-not-working-194978/)

Mark Murphy 01-09-2018 10:53 AM

Left side indicators not working.

Left hand side indicators not working, i have done a lot of searching, but still cant work this out, i only got the car a week ago, and have been busy with high idle, now that is sorted, i'm working may way through problems as i find them, I have continuity from the yellow/slate wire in the connector block just under the left front vent, to the lcm connector with yellow/slate wire, any trouble shooting tips would be much appreciated.

Lady Penelope 01-09-2018 11:28 AM

The Yellow / Slate wire is ground seeking provided by the BPM . Do you have that blinking ground as you do the left turn lever ?

Fuse # 8 / 10 amp Left Heelboard Fuse Box . I think the original size was a 5 amp but they uprated it .

Separate fuse for the right turn signal

Do you have the fault with left Fwd and left Aft and left repeater , all 3 ?:icon_playing:

Mark Murphy 01-09-2018 01:53 PM

Yes, problem with all turn signals on left side, but the dash arrow works :icon_question: How do i check for blinking ground? from fuse box to yellow/slate wire? with bulb or multimeter? I checked fuses, they are all ok, i should be able to think straight , but my hips hurt.

Lady Penelope 01-09-2018 02:46 PM

The dash arrows indicate that the lever switch works .

You would read the blinking ground provided by the BCM at the LCM connector by looking with a needle meter on the resistance scale.

The dash arrows are tied into the Yellow / Slate wire between the BCM on the LCM so that would point to the LCM or wiring to the bulbs .

Have You tinkered with the bulbs or cleaned the sockets ?

Those under car sockets get corroded

Mark Murphy 01-09-2018 03:10 PM

Yes, i have checked the bulbs, and cleaned the sockets with contact cleaner, will have a look at the connectors under the car.

Lady Penelope 01-09-2018 03:14 PM

All you need is 1 bulb of the 3 to prove the LCM is good as the same relay inside blinks all 3

Mark Murphy 01-10-2018 06:15 AM

Update. So, i took out the lcm, and bpm, and opened them up, loads of dry solder joints, so resoldered everything, with new solder, cleaned under car connectors at front, and it's Fixed! Thank you Lady Penelope for your help, much appreciated :)

Scotlad 01-10-2018 07:47 AM

Where exactly are the LCM and BPM located on the vehicle?

Mark Murphy 01-10-2018 08:40 AM

The Lcm is near the fuse box, and the BPM is behind the glove box.

smartobject 01-11-2018 02:12 PM

Hi Mark - did you find bad solder spots on the BPM board?

Just curious as I was looking at pictures of some other manufacturers BPMs and ECMS having bad solder joints.

These "bad" spots seemed extremely hard to detect due to the joint being so small as well as not appearing bad to an inexperienced layman like me.

The common fault / bad joint on our ABS board looks easier to detect because it's larger and more obvious.

Mark Murphy 01-11-2018 03:32 PM

Yes, i did find cold solder joints, and a couple of fractures on the Bcm, i have a lab microscope, but didn't need it.

JMRNYC 11-13-2018 10:43 AM

Having this same issue with left turn signal not working. Novice mechanic... can someone explain what LCM and BPM are, assume some type of module

96x300 11-13-2018 09:32 PM

Light control module and Body Processor module. You will know when you find them as they are very well labeled.

JMRNYC 03-24-2019 01:50 PM

Left turn signal on wires 1996 x300 still not working, trying to make sure I understand this, if I've checked and the fuse under the heal board is good... and the turn signal bulbs are good I'm left with an issue with BCM or LCM? The light control module is located where in which fuse box? How will i know what to look for? The Body Processor Module is behind glove box. assume if i get up under there i can see it w/o taking glove box out? Also not sure what it looks like... Mark was speaking of finding bad solder joints, assume these modules are easy to open and check for that? Which module should i check first?

I've assumed if all three bulbs are not working/blinking its likely not a wiring issue does this mean the culprit is either the BCP or LCM?

96x300 03-24-2019 02:05 PM

Light control module is in the trunk next to the fuse panel, its all in the same plastic box.

JMRNYC 05-26-2019 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Murphy (Post 1823566)
Yes, i did find cold solder joints, and a couple of fractures on the Bcm, i have a lab microscope, but didn't need it.

Mark did you have to repair both the LCM and the BPM? As a novice I’m not sure exactly what I’m looking for and my late 50’s eyes not so good at seeing those super tiny solder joints... am I correct that all you did was resolder a few breaks? Am I looking at the top or underside of the circuit board or both... any advice how to proceed appreciated.

JMRNYC 05-28-2019 08:34 AM

I bought a returnable LCM off eBay in the hopes that might solve the problem... Seems you all are suggesting its either LCM or BPM if not fuses or wiring... correct?