XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

looking for shock absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default looking for shock absorbers

hello, I have a jaguar xj6 sovereign 1990 and need to change the shock absobers. I live in San Diego. The only problem is that I can't seem to find them anywhere. The thing is, since it has self-leveling suspension I think I have to get the right ones for that kind of suspension. Yet, I could be wrong. This is my first car ever and I want to get the right parts for it. Anybody knows where to get them?

Old 07-21-2016, 12:30 PM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Man, I live in San Diego I have a set...I'll PM you

Old 08-01-2016, 12:17 PM

SD96XJ6L was kind enough to sell me a set of shock absorbers, but unfortunately the rear shock absorbers did not fit my car. Apparently, the screw that goes into the shock absorbers is larger in diameter. Anybody has any ideas? or simply just buy another rear set (which is hard because I don't seem to find them anywhere)?

Attached Thumbnails looking for shock absorbers-img_0260.jpg   looking for shock absorbers-img_0262.jpg   looking for shock absorbers-img_0265.jpg  
Old 08-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Do you have an XJ40 or Series III

Originally Posted by lenavarrete
SD96XJ6L was kind enough to sell me a set of shock absorbers, but unfortunately the rear shock absorbers did not fit my car. Apparently, the screw that goes into the shock absorbers is larger in diameter. Anybody has any ideas? or simply just buy another rear set (which is hard because I don't seem to find them anywhere)?
I suspect you need to buy the correct shocks, not only because the bushing (bolt) hole is too small a diameter. I notice the eye is larger on the original, and it is likely that the shock specs are different as well.

In theory you might be able to find another bushing that would fit the shock eye, and fit the bolt, but you'd have to measure both and manually search out a bushing that would physically fit and also hopefully meet any other spec.

Based upon the make/model you indicate, I assumed you have an XJ40 (not X300) so I'd suggest following up on this in the XJ40 sub-forum here as they would have more specific experience on your model. But now I'm not so certain you have either an XJ40 or X300 and instead may have a Series III.

Interestingly, I was under the impression that the XJ40 and X300 had very similar, perhaps nearly identical, suspension. But your photo of the underside of your car and the rear shock lower mounting point is completely different than an X300.

When I look at the parts diagram for the XJ40, it is indeed like the X300 and looks nothing like the photos you show above:

XJ40 front spring/damper setup:

Road Spring and Damper-Front-To (V)689827 - Parts For XJ6 & XJ12 from (V)667829 to (V)708757 - Canada/USA | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

The front XJ40 shock(damper) has a "U" shaped bottom mount, which is not shown in your photo if a photo of your front suspension. This is just like the X300. I assume your photos are of your rear suspension though as I see the CV joint at the wheel.

XJ40 rear spring/damper setup:

Damper and Spring-Rear-From (V)696460 - Parts For XJ6 & XJ12 from (V)667829 to (V)708757 - Canada/USA | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Also like the X300, the rear XJ40 shock resides inside the rear spring, which your photo also doesn't show.

So is yours an XJ40 or actually a Series III? The photos don't look like the XJ40 or X300.

Here are some diagrams of the rear suspension of a Series III which to me looks a bit more like your photos. I'm no expert on Series III so I may be wrong here, but the photos looks unusual to in the context of an XJ40 or X300.

Rear:

Damper and Spring-Rear - Parts For Series III Saloon | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

If so, you may want to check for advice in the Series III sub forum.

If still unsure of which model series you have and are asking about, the following guide is helpful:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/info/modelidentity/

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 08-02-2016 at 12:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lenavarrete (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 11:53 AM

Hi al_roethlisberger, I looked into the webpage and saw that my car is considered an XJ40. This is confusing though, maybe is because my car is the 1990 XJ6 'Sovereign'. I will ask in the subforum of the series III to check on this. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by lenavarrete
Hi al_roethlisberger, I looked into the webpage and saw that my car is considered an XJ40. This is confusing though, maybe is because my car is the 1990 XJ6 'Sovereign'. I will ask in the subforum of the series III to check on this. Thanks.

Can you post a clearer photo of the rear suspension, perhaps with the tire off?

Also, can you post an exterior photo of the car itself?

That might help us point you in the right direction.

Similarly to my comment about not being a Series III expert, I too am not an XJ40 expert I suppose it is possible that early XJ40 cars had different rear suspension more akin to a Series III than illustrated at Jaguar Classics and the parts diagrams?? *shrug* I'll leave that to others to clarify. But seeing some clearer photos would definitely help.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:08 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I have an X300, but have a Haynes manual for the XJ40.
The rear suspension looks similar to x300 except that the wishbone casting is very different - like the picture. Late XJ40s had some revisions and so may have the same parts as an x300 but only a guess.
If the car has the self levelling suspension I believe you can buy a kit to fit normal dampers from somewhere like SNG Barret or Britishparts for a reasonable price. That is what I would do, as the original self levellers are supposed to be problematic with age and hard to find / expensive. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Maybe a new lower shock absorber bush with matching bolt is the way to go? Difficult to tell for sure from the photo, but the new shock looks as if it may have a poly bush which might explain the different diameter. Jaguar classic parts should be able to sort you out with standard spec bush and bolt.
Wait a minute: it isn't an X300, which could well be the simple explanation why the parts don't fit...

Last edited by countyjag; 08-06-2016 at 02:25 AM. Reason: I'm Talking nonsense! It isn't an X300
Old 08-09-2016, 06:22 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

If you have an early XJ40 with the self levelling rear suspension, then you should get the replacement kit as it also includes parts to blank of the hydraulics which may, from memory, also operate the brakes on these models. In any case mismatched spring / dampers are a bad idea as I found out when I fitted some aftermarket dampers to the front of my XJR and lost about an inch of ride height- see my old post!
I would definately just buy the correct self levelling delete kit to avoid doing the job twice.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by countyjag
Maybe a new lower shock absorber bush with matching bolt is the way to go? Difficult to tell for sure from the photo, but the new shock looks as if it may have a poly bush which might explain the different diameter. Jaguar classic parts should be able to sort you out with standard spec bush and bolt.
Wait a minute: it isn't an X300, which could well be the simple explanation why the parts don't fit...
Yep - wrong forum all right!

Anyway, late 1994MY XJ40's have the identical rear suspension setup as the X300 (cast wishbones, spring mounted on wishbone etc) but earlier cars (pressed steel wishbones, spring mounted on shock collar etc) use a smaller lower shock bolt to fit the smaller diameter lower bushes.

Larry

Old 08-10-2016, 10:28 PM

Thanks everyone, it was great help and I appreciate it. So, I was getting parts for a different model, but found the right ones. I ended up installing the Bilstein shock absorbers 24-018050 and they are working great on the car. Feels entirely different ! I added some pictures of the rear suspension too al_roethlisberger, but after looking at the info you gave me and also another threat I had on the XJ40 section, I am certain that my car is an XJ40.

Attached Thumbnails looking for shock absorbers-img_0289.jpg   looking for shock absorbers-img_0290.jpg   looking for shock absorbers-img_0291.jpg   looking for shock absorbers-img_0292.jpg