XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

More trim removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default More trim removal

I was in the process of removing the long chrome trim piece across the top of the boot lid, (the part with the boot opening button and licence plate lights in) and after removing the lining from the inside, I found that the fixings inside are a little awkward to get at, but more importantly, they are like nothing I have seen before! I was expecting a simple nut, but instead, found what looks like a twisted metal/aluminium strip, wound around the bolt. The attached picture may help to explain better. Does anybody have any experience with removing same? I was also wondering could the existing arrangement be replaced with a simpler nut and bolt type arramgement. At present, the chrome strip doesn't sit as tight against the bodywork as I'd like, allowing the ingress of water. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails More trim removal-boot-fixing.jpg  
Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by sogood
I was in the process of removing the long chrome trim piece across the top of the boot lid, (the part with the boot opening button and licence plate lights in) and after removing the lining from the inside, I found that the fixings inside are a little awkward to get at, but more importantly, they are like nothing I have seen before! I was expecting a simple nut, but instead, found what looks like a twisted metal/aluminium strip, wound around the bolt. The attached picture may help to explain better. Does anybody have any experience with removing same? I was also wondering could the existing arrangement be replaced with a simpler nut and bolt type arramgement. At present, the chrome strip doesn't sit as tight against the bodywork as I'd like, allowing the ingress of water. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Those are called 'speed nuts' attaching that plinth. Unfortunately, if they aren't grabbing the plinth enough, the only option is getting different speed nuts and hoping there is enough material left on the studs to bit into. Each time one of them is put on, it gouges some of the material away.

Cheers,