XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

My manual XJR6(es).

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 04:22 AM
Pee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My manual XJR6(es).

Hello Jag lovers. I'm a long-time forum lurker turned new forum member. About five years ago i bought a manual transmission XJR6. As you probably know they are quite rare , I have been told only 279 cars were made. So it took a fair bit of hunting before i found my car. Then 2 years later, I got wind of someone in Stockholm thinking about building a drift-car out of another manual transmission black on black XJR6. Naturally i could not just stand by while some snot-nosed kid thrashed a unicorn like this to death so i bought it. This car is not beyond saving but it needs a fair bit of love. Paintwork is real bad, some light rust, cracked exhaust manifolds, and pretty much everything under the bonnet made of rubber locks like it will have to be changed. So will all of the bushings in the suspension.
this is a picture i took polishing the "turd". and too think that they were going to slaughter it on the drift track!!

Now that i had two it didn't take long before i found the third.
A beautiful blue righthand-drive xjr6 manual whit white interior and premium sound system had been rear-ended was being parted out.
SACRILEGE!! So i had to buy that car too.

My Right hand drive xjr6 manual.

this one still needs some bodywork, it is god enough for a daily driver but the area around the trunk and the rear bumper still has some work to be done. also it does not run right.

So that my cars. I am probably going too need a lot of help from you guys trying to get these too cats back into the jungle to stalk, and pray on the unsuspecting sheep that all of the "lesser brands" really are.

The following users liked this post:
XJRengineer (04-14-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 08:16 AM
Pee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now i need some help. i was going to start up the turd yesterday and remove it from winter storage. this car has always been a little bit hard to start. But i was sure it was only a weak battery. So this time i putt in a brand new battery but to my disappointment the bloody thing wont even crank. the starter solenoid dos not click and there is now power draw when i twist the key. I have tried changing the starter relay and the starter relay fuse. the strange thing is that i don't get any power to the fuse. iv got 0,0 volts at the fuse even when i twist the key!?
is there any way of accessing the solenoid signal cable without removing the supercharger housing and intake. i would like to test if the solenoid works if powers from somewhere else. if anyone has any ideas where to start diagnosing this problem feel free too speak your mind.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

I admire your devotion to rescuing the rare species. In rescuing Rose (my XJR of 1995, now reborn manual), I have reviewed many no-start stories and fixes available in this and other forums, and if I have time, I would draw up a "no-start check-list" for easy reading. Meanwhile, the following threads would make most rewarding reading:
X300 XJ6 Won’t Start, First Steps
Gentlemen: (No) Start Your Engines!!!
If your car has been idling for a long time, even if you made periodic starts in the past, if it no longer starts, go back to the basics - check your fuel, battery and ignition systems to first make sure that water, rust and corrosion are not the main suspects of your no-start problem. Please note that the engine or the starter could be jammed due to long periods of idle, and most cases are resolved by replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Make sure that you have a very powerful battery, and that all fuses or relays are in working order. The rest is simply trial and error, step-by-step logic, tackling the easier and trying on less expensive parts one after another (not all at the same time).

Good luck.

XJRengineer (04-14-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Also check if the P shift light is on, if not try wiggling the shifter till it comes on then try starting. I also believe if ur brake light is out u will not be able to start the car

Old 04-05-2017, 04:23 PM
Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by FrozenApple
Also check if the P shift light is on, if not try wiggling the shifter till it comes on then try starting.
They're manuals
Unfortunately I don't have any advice, but as a fellow manual owner I wish you the best of luck!

Old 04-14-2017, 04:43 AM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

Hi Pee,
Thanks for saving all these manual XJR6 cars. I maintain a register of all manual XJR6 cars that were factory built. Please can you contact me directly. I would be very interested to add you details of cars still running. I may even know some history of your rear ended RHD car if it is turquoise (blue). If it the one I think, then it "disappeared of the radar" several years ago after its accident. I had no idea that it had left the UK.

The starter motor relay is just behind the LH headlight (viewed from diver's seat). You can also access the starter solenoid signal from the large two pin connector near the rear of the fuel rail.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:54 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

Pee,
it is a great thing to save these cars.
in 1960-61, my 20 year old father saved 4 vintage Alvis 12/50 cars. Three have been restored and roadworthy since the early to mid 60's, and the 4th was a pile of bits that is finally about to be restored.
otherwise they would have been landfill 50 years ago.

Good move !

Old 04-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Too bad the XJR6 manuals are very very rare in the USA. It would be fun to have one and see what it is like to drive. I hear the clutch is very heavy, but maybe it wouldn't be too bad as a second car and not daily driver.

Would be neat to find one here.

Do we know how many (did they at all?) factory manual XJR6s made it to North America?

I've seen a few conversions, but curious how many LHD manuals came over to the USA or Canada.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 04-14-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:43 AM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

There is no such thing as a factory built North American spec manual XJR6. The specification never existed. Any such cars that you find are conversions, though none the worse for that. Mechanically the parts exist so can be substituted in order to convert the car. The difficulty is that there is no such part as a North American manual specification engine ECU. I can reprogramme an ECU as European manual specification, but this will turn off the OBD2 functions.

al_roethlisberger (04-15-2017)