XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

New to the boards, seeking XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the boards, seeking XJ6

Hello all - just dropping in to introduce myself. Name's Alex and I'm in search of an X308 XJ6 for the time being. Or an XJ6/R. Bit of a family history of owning Jags, my dad had a '74 XJ12L, though I never knew it to run, and my mother had an XJS-V12 for a short time that I learned to drive on. Never had the chance to work on them aside from oil and filter changes, personally, but have always loved the X308 lines. It was the model on the showroom floors when I first got into cars and Jaguars as a kid. Now that I'm out of college, I thought I might treat myself and pick one up as they seem to finally be in my price range.

I've only ever had 1980's BMW's for daily drivers (E30's and E24's), and I'd like to supplement my non-functional A/C sports coupes with a nice sedan for more daily use.

At any rate, I've been looking about and have spotted a 1996 XJ6 that catches my attention a bit. I'll admit outright that it probably isn't the smartest initial buy, but it's history has me curious. While the current owner (used car dealer) has no service history and knows nothing of this particular car, CARFAX shows that this car has been dealer maintained on about 5k intervals from 30k miles in 1998 to 130k miles in 2005. Odo currently reads 155k. Mileage was last entered in 2007 at 154k. Obviously this car has seen little use in the last few years. My initial inspection showed that nearly everything on the car works as it should. Rear view mirror is blacking out and will need replacing, and the radio display is also blacking out. Broken antenna, A/C doesn't work (dealer says it will function on purchase...remains to be seen). While the interior is dirty, it's all together. No sagging headliner, etc. Was not able to test drive it today, but it did start and run without a hitch. Admittedly, it shows all the signs of having been neglected for a few years.

All that said, here's my question: are these cars pretty resilient mechanically to stuff like this? At a car of this general age and mileage, there are certain items that I am preparing to replace (shocks, brakes, bushings, etc.), but I have no clue how these cars respond to neglect. Only mechanical concerns I had was that it idled around 800-900 (seems a tad high), and when I revved it up, it stumbled a bit up front.

I will admit that I have a penchant for picking the cars that are in need of a bit of TLC because I like to play. Sorry for being long winded.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Old 07-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Default 1996 xj6

Got ours new, and we still have it. My wife bought it and I was disappointed. I admit that I was wrong! Very dependable. Now has 106K miles. We bought a new Jag this year and hope that the XK is as good as the XJ6. By the way going to Knoxville for the UT/U/Montana football game. Go Griz!
Harry

Old 07-27-2011, 08:43 PM

Funny that I didn't start off life as a Vols fan, but it's hard to not be a fan of your Alma mater.

Went by for a second look at the car and got to drive it. All seemed well though I did get some loud knocking from the rear. I understand this to be bushings mostly, no? Only clunked on the transition from road to gravel/grass. Also heard a clicking from the rear which I suspect to be a wheel bearing. I'm surprised that the drivers seat is actually together with little wear showing as I have seen lower mileage cars with worse interiors.

I caught the lot just as it was closIng for the day, so will return for a more thorough inspection of general electricals and lighting. I did get a good whiff of bad gas this time on startup so hopefully a good fresh tank should do her some good. Looking forward to goin back and seeing if I can't strike up a deal if all else checks out.

Alex

Old 07-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Xj6

I bought an XJ6 with 66,000 miles used about 4 years ago. Many told me to run - not walk - away from this car. I debated buying it and at one point, decided not to. But, I kept thinking about it, and finally decided it was worth the risk.

Boy, was it ever! I LOVE my XJ6 - I've owned quite a few cars, including new, that can't hold a candle to this car. The blend of luxury and performance coupled with timeless good looks is beyond compare. The only maintenance I've done has been preventative, or dealing with minor, well known issues (leaky power steering hoses, shock bushings, clock, NOT CONT CD changer issue, cup holder).

In MN, you can buy a 1996 XJ6 with 155,000 miles for around $3,000. If you look around, you'll see the occasional XJ6 with under 75,000 miles for less than $8,000. I bought mine for $6,000, if that helps you gauge whether yours is a good deal or not.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 AM

I get a bit puzzled on pricing as this car is listed at $2500 but has a nicer interior and equivalent mileage of cars I see listed for $4500. A rust spot on the fender aside, I find this difference curious though the car seems to be in good mechanical shape. May try to strike a deal on this one for kick and giggles.

Alex