XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

new exhaust manifold...now running very rich!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default new exhaust manifold...now running very rich!

I'm not 100% confident the manifolds were installed up to par by the shop. Would a bad install cause the car to run rich. I mean really rich. Gasoline coming out the tailpipe rich. Throwing P1193 and o2 sensors codes. It was throwing o2 codes prior to the install and I had some stalling issues. I cleaned the air intake all the way to the throttle body itself. Hasn;t been stauling since but idles a little rough but at correct RPM. It's throw a couple o2 codes since and before the install but now the gas smell is ridiculous and its hard to tell if she is running loud or oddly with the heat shield on.

Any suggestions?

Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if they got the O2 senors plugged in backwards, try getting an orientation done, or swap the connectors and see what happens.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:56 AM

No. that wasn't it. I did, yesterday, have all four 02 sensors replaced with new ones. While the garage was doing that, they messed up some threads and ended up putting new cats on for "free". None of this solved my issues but its nice to knnow the exhaust system is straight I suppose.

I truly think what happened is when I cleaned the airbox to the throttle body less than two weeks ago, I re-oiled the k&n filter......well I think I destroyed my MAF. I have a second-hand MAF on order and will try spraying down the existing MAF on my lunch. IF cleaning works, I'll keep the K&N in there for now. If it doesn't, I'm replacing the MAF when it comes and using stock air filters from now on.

I also have a coolant temp sensor on the way and a new IACV waiting to be installed but I'm inclined to think this is a MAF issue considering the sequence of events leading up to this:

1) started misfiring so I ordered a set of new coils and bought plugs. While waiting, the car started stauling and almost undriveable.

2) replaced coils and plugs (RC12's this time around). No change.

3) sprayed some throttle body cleaner in the TB with it still in place just jamming my hand and a rag in there as best I could. Buttoned it back up. Voila! No more stauling, however still a little rumbly idle.

4) when I had time the following weekend I pulled the airbox out all the way down to and including the throotle body. Gave it alll a good cleaning including the redo of the filter.

5) Couple days or handful of days later......running like a gas station. Just happened to be in conjunction with me swapping in new manifolds.

So II guess we will see either at lunch today or in the days to come what fixes this. At least I'm renewing her I guess.......

Old 09-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

please check your fuel pressure regulator. Disconnect air hose from regulator to intake manifold and look to see if it is leaking fuel. you should have NO fuel going to the regulator into the intake manifold.

The following users liked this post:
Dan Bennett (09-29-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by jeremiahjaguar
please check your fuel pressure regulator. Disconnect air hose from regulator to intake manifold and look to see if it is leaking fuel. you should have NO fuel going to the regulator into the intake manifold.
Thanks! I haven't checked yet but that's GOT to be it. I'm so confident I already ordered the part. Unsteady Idle...RPMs stay constant but the engine judders a little bit...the oil has a blacker than normal look to it and smells of gas. Makes sense.

Thank you thank you thank you. I've spent a lot getting this car up to par and renewing parts and this will mark the near-end for a while I'd bet.