XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

New to this forum - former MBZ owner, just bought first Jaguar today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this forum - former MBZ owner, just bought first Jaguar today!

Just wanted to introduce myself..... I have owned many kinds of cars, most recently a 1995 Mercedes SL500 convertible, and also have a 2013 Chrysler 300.... but always wanted an XJ6...... just a few hours ago I found my car and bought it!

Its a 1997 XJ6. 175k miles. 2nd owner. The owner just passed away and was 85 yrs old. He put about 90k miles on it, and the first owner put on the other miles. The man passed away almost a year ago, so the car has been sitting since then, only started occasionally, but not driven much.

I'm planning to do the following: change oil/filter, drain/refill transmission fluid and change transmission filter, change spark plugs/wires, replace air filter, recharge A/C (hoping it is only low on refrigerant - and not more serious).

Anyone have advice about what else I should be aware of or look for? I've read a lot about these x300's and heard 1997 was a good year (but I'm sure there are others). I'm very knowledgeable about my old car (the MBZ SL500) and really enjoyed learning about it and teaching myself how to work on it. So I'm planning for this 1997 XJ6 to be my 'weekend project' to keep me out of trouble. Haha.

Looking forward to meeting everyone here and hope you are all having a great weekend! I will post pics as soon as I figure out how to do it on this site -JT

Old 09-10-2017, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Spartancub. Excellent introduction, but you've put it in the wrong place! Well, you've got the right forum for your car, which is where most people get off the tracks. But you still need to post an intro here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/
in order to be rule-compliant. Then get your post-count above 10 and a moderator will be along to upgrade you to full-status, which will allow you to get full utilization of the forum.

Now with logistics out of the way, let's get to the meat of your post. No plug wires to change, it is coil-on-plug, all 6 located right up top and easy to get to. Two torx fasteners securing a plastic cover on top of the engine with "JAGUAR" emblazoned across it. Beware the coil wiring and connectors may be "crinkly" and make sounds like frying bacon as you handle it. Depart from the specified Champion Copper plugs at your own risk. I have, used iridiums and had a great experience with them. However, I'm now back on the Champions on all 3 X300's, mainly due to cost. Check the plug wells for oil as you go, and if you find it, consider pulling the cam-cover and installing a new gasket and plug-well gaskets with copious amounts of sealant.

Air conditioning: As long as it is not working, change out the receiver/drier, mounted atop the a/c condenser. This will give you an opportunity to inspect the upper and lower condenser bushes (lowers are likely gone, and uppers are probably in poor shape) as well as the radiator bushes.

I'd drain the cooling system, flush it with distilled water, and refresh with the proper spec coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water. THe rest of your plan sounds fine. Keep on top of scheduled maintenance and you'll get good service from it.

There is a wealth of info available here on the forum, including factory service manuals, lots of how-to's with pics and generally good advice. Use "search" and enjoy!

Old 09-10-2017, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Before you drain the oil something I would recommend is Rislone oil treatment that loosens up the engine piston rings , lifters and such , run for some miles to let it work then drain the oil . I swear by it in it's performance improvements over my years . The drain plug my be frozen on so you can put some penetrating oil on it and let it work during the running miles .

Plugs recommended by Jaguar are old school Champion RC12YC / 0.040 gap can be brought down to 0.035

The rear seat tables can be put in easily from what I understand .

Andy bracket will bias the engine ECU 5 degrees for 12 % more power

While you drain the coolent might backflush and radiator cleaner the heater core that gets clogged by off antifreeze ( heater core called matrix in England )

There is a self test of the A/C system in the TSB's , do not twist the lines while loosening huts . Drier is 35 dollars . There are 2 cabin blowers L & R

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...stions-183829/

Wheel clearcoat can be stripped off yourself to polish bear metal

Do not ever put the battery in backwards or let a shop do it . Positive post goes in positive direction , take the time .

The radiator fluid type is in the Jaguar TSB in the above " sticky " and " How To " section of the X300 as it keeps changing and my not have kept up with the changes

The headlights can be swapped out with X308 series light assemblies that look much better

Any questions just ask as this website has helped me alot and help others

Pics can be put in on the lower as you post Manage Attachments icon , then Upload icon and wait for loading then Save icon . There is a way to put a better image in the post I do not know .

Yours is a AJ16 engine : Supercharged or normally aspirated ?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fiqsbb...e+-+JTP508.pdf 1997 the same ,1995 not

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...20-%202000.pdf

http://www.jaguarclub.sk/service/x300.pdf

See attached Youtube video , hit the youtube icon to go full screen , enjoy , Parker

Attached Thumbnails New to this forum - former MBZ owner, just bought first Jaguar today!-2f2658cd-709e-4b93-8895-e5ed46674283_1.89a7a8548ed77ebc8c8e1ea634ef12eb.jpeg   New to this forum - former MBZ owner, just bought first Jaguar today!-jaguar-daimler-xj6-sovereign-x300-fuse-box-rear.jpg   New to this forum - former MBZ owner, just bought first Jaguar today!-20130413_134916.jpg  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 09-10-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both for your replies - VERY HELPFUL! Seems like some nice folks on this site.... I appreciate it.
Its a bit warm outside for me this weekend so all I have been doing is looking out the windows at the car in the driveway (105 today here in CA!).
Next weekend I plan to put it up on stands and do the oil/filter change, transmission fluid drain/refill/replace gasket/filter, maybe a couple other things.
Since I'm new to Jaguar's - question regarding how it should accelerate. I know I have a small engine (v6) but it just seems to be a dog, with no power or anything? I'm not being picky - i'm talking VERY VERY SLOW. Its not like its straining or anything, but it literally doesn't accelerate well and if I'm in traffic and need to pass someone, I don't think it has enough acceleration power to do so.... could get me in an accident. I'm a very conservative and safe driver so this isn't a big thing, but it just seems odd. Is that how this car is supposed to be? Hard to believe it would but I thought I'd ask.... any info is appreciated. Maybe after I tune it up it will be better accelerating? Thanks again for all of your help!

Old 09-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Is that how this car is supposed to be ? ............Nope ...... .......A stock 4.0 liter X300 normally aspirated will beat a 4.0 liter Mustang .The inline AJ16 engine is a very high performance (1 hp per cubic inch without supercharger ) and is very long lasting about 250 K with valve seals and a excellent ZF 4 HP24 transmission as well as being a rolling piece of art . The X300 series between 94.5 to 97 is a sweet spot before they put the V8 and bad 5 transmission in . There is a limp mode in the ECU that trips by the engine regulation sensors . It is a 4000 pound empty car with a high torque oversquare engine with a 3.57 rear end . There is a sport mode switch below the shift stick . Read at the parts store any codes and reset them and write them down . Do you have access to a ELM327 ? $ 8 ebay including shipping and software , laptop recommended . Look for MAF , TPS , RPM , ECT , and STFTs ( 0.0 as a baseline ) as a live data graph as you drive around and record the log . A little tinkering and she'll be , and she'll be , and she'll be running like a Jaguar . Don't forget Rislone and fuel injector cleaner ( Techron recommended ) . You may not have a very fresh tank of gas .

ELM327 USB Interface OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Auto Car Scanner Bluetooth WIFI Wired | eBay

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 09-10-2017 at 06:43 PM.