XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

New to Jaguar...Just got a 1995 Vanden Plas

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 02:14 PM
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts
Default New to Jaguar...Just got a 1995 Vanden Plas

Nice to see an active forum supporting these beauties!

I titled my first Jaguar in my name today. I had a client who was downsizing and made me a deal I could not refuse.

It is a 1995 Vanden Plas with only 101500 miles on it. One owner. Well maintained.

Needs shocks badly front and rear. Mirrors and CD are inoperable. ABS light is on.

Other than that it is super straight and dent free, rust free and very clean. I have yet to find anything else that does not work!

Besides the floaty clunky suspension I can tell it has great dynamics and is going to be a great ride.

Here is some pics before I started cleaning her up!

Old 09-15-2017, 02:27 PM
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

to fix the mirrors,you can replace the steering/mirror ecu,got min on ebay for 20 dollars

2 bolts to remove it,2 screws for the under steering wheel cover

Old 09-15-2017, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

On the mirror you can cut yourself a new glass without the auto dimming feature without removing the whole assembly from the front windshield . The front and half snaps apart to do so

On ABS , clean the wheel sensors face first without jacking the car

How is the stereo . do the speakers rattle or under respond on the base spectrum ?

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 09-15-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Howdy Ric, what you've listed are fairly typical niggles. Since you used the plural of mirrors, I infer the side mirrors do not adjust electricly? I think Parker is referring to the center-windscreen-mounted auto-dimming mirror. They are also prone to quit dimming. There are shops who restore those mirrors for about $100. Side mirrors may well take a module as Michael suggests. Clanking dampers front and rear are also common.

Certainly no harm in cleaning ABS sensors, and if that sorts it you are in tall cotton. If that doesn't, your best bet is to find a person or shop with WDS and have the code read. (OBDII will not read the ABS Module) C1095 is a very common failure code meaning a failed ABS pump, but in reality, the pump is probably fine and the module has a couple of cracked solder joints. Lots written here on how to mend it for a couple hours of your time and <$20.

I would advise you to systematically renew all the fluids, and check the upper and PARTICULARLY lower condenser mounting bushes. Have a gander at the upper and lower radiator bushes while you are in the neighborhood. Missing or damaged lower condenser bushes will eventually lead to a hole in your condenser and no refrigerant in your a/c system, thus no a/c.

Check out the heater before it gets any colder in Richmond, it may need a back-flush in order to keep you toasty this winter.

Lots of reading here to sort the niggles and get out in front of the preventative maintenance curve.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Yep , just ask a question . Someone will help with information . Before winter I will complete as started a cabin heating system checkout / trouble shooting repair matrix that will save you some bucks if there is something not up to par . The below link will get you some more information in respect to the other systems bucks resolutions that you can do yourself .

On a very important note , Dude , how is that stereo ?

Never hook the battery up backwards , easy to do , but can be easily resolved

Look for both upper and lower front shock bushings as they go bad

Keep in mind that the 95 vs. 96 X300 is a little bit different electrically and mechanically but the X300 as they were produced between 94.5 to 97 is a sweet spot in the XJ6 series .

See link below :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-today-188951/

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 09-15-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Stereo sounds great. I need to get an FM modulator and bluetooth interface so I can just use my phone for audio.

The mirror issues are the exterior electrics not adjusting correctly. Will just love with it for now and keep an eye out for a module.

The ABS light is "mostly" off now....so that makes me thing some good cleaning and a unplug, clean, dielectric grease, reconnect session will pay dividends.

Lining up some non dry rotted tires and some shocks.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

I see you have your priorities first . Better then a bluetooth signal / quality degradation setup you can as a simple do it yourself soldier it a auxiliary jack with the original Jaguar/Alpine AJ9500A control head .

Don't try too hard to remove and break the wheel sensors as they can be soaked with some penetrating oil before hand .

Don't forget the shock bushings upper and lower .

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...pper-and-lower

You might try as a least intrusive try on the external mirrors removing both of the battery cables and not touching each other for 30 seconds as a reset after and only after you have established the engine regulation is correct after a week of mileage .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 09-15-2017 at 10:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1 of 19 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W9jn90VEAY

I see you have your priorities first . Better then a bluetooth signal / quality degradation setup you can as a simple do it yourself soldier it a auxiliary jack with the original Jaguar/Alpine AJ9500A control head .

Don't try too hard to remove and break the wheel sensors as they can be soaked with some penetrating oil before hand .

Don't forget the shock bushings upper and lower .
Aux jack would be great...will definitely look that up.

Shock bushings usually come with new shocks? Or am I thinking wrong? Going to order some Bilsteins right now...

Old 09-15-2017, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ric in RVA
Aux jack would be great...will definitely look that up.

Shock bushings usually come with new shocks? Or am I thinking wrong? Going to order some Bilsteins right now...
Will link you later with the aux jack

Question as to whether both upper and lower bushings come with a Bilstein shock order for this specific X300 as you order them from the venders . Page 16 of 72 in linked PDF . Vender pic only shows upper . Lady P shows alot of daylight through the lower bushings

I have a lower bushing part number and advice from a more experienced master ............... Aholbro1 ......... .......later

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 09-15-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:56 PM

Just ordered from Rockauto. 4 shocks, belts, filter, spark plugs. Right around $400 bucks shipped. Great prices.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ric in RVA
Just ordered from Rockauto. 4 shocks, belts, filter, spark plugs. Right around $400 bucks shipped. Great prices.
See upper edited post , Champion RC12YC are the Jaguar TSB recommended plug

Give you a hint on the A/C belt later

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 09-15-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Ric in RVA (09-15-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

For the rear shockers, Motorcarman shows you the easy and quick method:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post1694887

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post1444950

For your belt renewal:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lt-how-102387/
You may want to pick up a tension-tester tool. Careful where you stow it. I've two now because I ordered a second when I needed to renew belts on the 2nd X300 and couldn't find it. Subsequently located and now both are stashed in separate hiding places, to increase the chance I'll find one when needed ;-)

And just in case - If you find one or more plug wells full of oil when you change the sparkers:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...thread-163891/

Old 09-16-2017, 08:03 AM

5 new tires going on this afternoon. (anyone want a 22 year old Pirelli spare?)

Shocks getting shipped.

Took the huge slack out of the throttle cable.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

.......Ensure that you have the correct shock for the Supercharged and the V12 versions of the X300 take a stiffer shock and will effect your ride

Old 09-21-2017, 10:11 AM

New tires are on and minor balance issue (maybe a flat spot) went away.

Front shocks arrived so I removed and replaced them. Original Jaguar shocks from 1995. Bushings on the right were disintegrated. left looked decent. All got replaced. Lower bushings were fine. Pull the air box and cleaned and cleaned under the MAF and fender covers. Lots of dust. No rust. No rodents.

Front shocks are VERY easy to do.

R&R the spark plugs. Had NGK's in the car and they were all gapped correctly and looked even in color. 2 had a very slight amount of oil in the wells...enough that prior to pulling them you couldn't see anything but the there was a little on the body of the plug upon removal. So I need to add Valve cover gasket and plug well gaskets to my list but not critical.

Rockauto sent the 9 heat range, but it is so easy and so cheap i put them in anyways and will grab some 12's and swap soon. Give me a chance to get a read on a set of new plugs too.

Rear shocks arrive today. So this evenings fun is set.

Front end of car now rides very proper and clunk free. Rear end is a clunky bouncy mess....and feels much worse with the front being well controlled.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Aux jack link , this is an example of a later Jaguar radio head but the principle is the same . You can substitute the cassette tape with just a tywrap .
The pic bellow is the AJ9500A on yours . Recommend use the upper soldier points in pic as they are easier to work with vs. the tiny lower .

]How-To: DIY headunit hack for AUX-IN (on tape deck).

Attached Thumbnails New to Jaguar...Just got a 1995 Vanden Plas-jaguar-3.5-jack-wire-code.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 09-21-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

While your at the rear wheel hubs on the top is the wheel speed sensors that have debris over time on the face that cloud over the ABS signal . Don't try too hard to get theme out as I broke one or mine .

Old 09-21-2017, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

Gasket #s NBC 2525AA and NBC 2579AA x6 set . Be careful of the D shape lobes on the back as they fall out behind there , will need some high temp sealant in the D corners .

Attached Files

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 09-21-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Ric in RVA (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

See above edited post

Old 09-22-2017, 06:33 PM
Default New rear Bilstein done

Took a trip to the local junkyard today and got the mirror control unit four Lucas made in Japan coils a slew of relays and a throttle body off a running car...it was wrecked so it had to be running. About 125 bucks total.

The had 2 x300 and an xj40 and a V8 xj.

Did the rear shocks. The second one was a piece of cake. Maybe a half hour. The first one.... Holy hell that was a b**ch. Lower shock bolt frozen to the shock bushing. Hammers didn't work. Air chisel didn't work. Heat didn't work. Cutting a notch through the shock into the bushing and ultimately into the shock bolt didn't work.. finally sawzalled both sides of the bolt so it would pass through the lower control arm.

So now I need a new bolt. Maybe going back to the junkyard in the am.

Anyone know they size of that bolt?

Looking forward to clunk free driving....

Quick Reply: New to Jaguar...Just got a 1995 Vanden Plas