XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

New-to-me 1997 XJ6L - meow!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New-to-me 1997 XJ6L - meow!

*Copied from new member intro:

Picked up a 1997 Jade green XJ6L; she currently holds 243,6XX miles and I've been using this forum to diagnose some of the little "niggles" here and there and have to give credit to so many of the mods and vets for all the wisdom and insight!

Overall, I got an incredible deal on her. Jade green with "oatmeal" interior; both show some age: some clearcoat peeling; little dents and scratches; misc. cracks and rips in some of the leather; loose trim pieces; struts and shocks are "just for show"; various leaks and some headliner sagging...actually, maybe I didn't get such a great deal on her - LOL

So, some of the electronics were faulty and the trunk was misaligned from an interesting rear-end to the upper lid/deck.

It's a project for my son (I secretly use this car for "test driving" the issues I am working on). The intent is for he and I to turn a few wrenches on her together during summer and prep her for next school year. The funny thing is, I'm enjoying her so much I have been tackling a lot of the items on my own without him.

She's rides regally and stately even with the blown struts and shocks. The cabin is rather quiet and plush and, even with 4 blown door speakers, very fulfilling and satisfying to commute in - I try to find excuses to take her everywhere we go

We had a few hiccups with intermittent stalling which was the impetus to the CPS replacement.

I pulled the coils and saw 4/6 had oil midway up; I have a used valve cover and a set of used coils for next weekend's project.

The a/c idler is squealing upon start/warm up; I've tensioned it but believe it'll need replacement sooner vs. later.

A/C blows ice-cold; cruise control works; all windows and sunroof functional. Some of the control lights are out here and there.

Belt and hoses were done 40-50k ago per receipts and she has no CEL or other warning lights (at the moment - fingers crossed) though they all go through the start-up diagnosis and clear after just a few seconds.

I'll be hopping in and out to pilfer sage advise and tips...

Besides changing oil; plugs, filters and generally running through her checking for interesting mystery leaks, what are areas I should look at for "immediate attention"? I just replaced the CPS and have a valve cover and associated gaskets queued up for next weekend. Recalls have been performed and some TSBs from what I can see from the prior owner's records - she had lots!

Thanks all!

Heyeugenio

Old 04-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Congrats on your find and welcome to the forum. If that squeal is only on cold start and disappears after warm-up, it is more likely to be a delaminating crank damper than an idler pulley. It's an easy task to mark it and then you'll know for sure.

Lots of good info here, as I'm sure you'll discover. Here's a primer for this weekend's activities:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...thread-163891/

Old 04-09-2017, 11:32 PM
Default Thanks!

Thanks aholbro

I'm perusing the "just replaced valve cover gasket and still leaking" thread now. Seems to be just what I needed to locate the wet spots.

I did find lots of oil coming from the camshaft cover plate? (looks like a sideways diamond - only a gasket inside and it holds the metal bracket for the CPS wire). I removed, cleaned/wiped dry and spread a bead of RTV over gasket area and mating face on the engine. I'll keep an eye on any other locations as well.

What are some areas to check out and what are priority items to change/replace since it's new-to-me? i.e. What would you look for, either in records or physically on the car, as preventative or mandatory maintenance, if you had just purchased this XJ6L? Does the X300 straight 6 engine suffer from same chain tensioner issues as the V8 and other models?

I thought I had read on here a few items to address immediately if they have not already been upgraded/replaced or fixed by a previous owner or prior maintenance.

I will research the delamination of the other pulley; squeals like a stuck pig for a few minutes then goes away; almost like a failing bearing.

Thanks for the welcome and, again, for the link!

Old 04-10-2017, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

A/C condenser lower bushes would probably be first thing to check, replace if they've departed, else you'll soon need a new condenser. Radiator bushes while you are at it, because you are already there and they're cheap.
But for the most part, if it works, and doesn't make funny noise, just drive and enjoy it. These are generally pretty trouble-free.

Here's a link to a bunch of stuff I've been through: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...18/#post794901

No worries with cam chain tensioners. There are peeps here who complain about them making noise, and switching to a newer generation (then continuing to complain about the noise) but I don't believe anyone has ruined an engine with them.

Last edited by aholbro1; 04-10-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:17 AM

So, it's been a few days and several hundred miles of use/testing since last posting. Figure I'm due for an update; here's a short list:

1) replaced valve cover/rtv on spark plug gaskets (will check for seeping and oil in plug wells and around head next week)

2) tested and excluded delaminating crank pulley as the squealing upon starting using white marks - fingers crossed no failure (I still need to identify the culprit)

3) replaced all 4 Phillips speakers with oem h/k units - all four surrounds had disintegrated to dust and rattled/buzzed at quarter volume. This detracted from the enjoyment of the quiet cabin.

4) replaced failing stereo with another oem unit (no lights for led display - old one had poor power and bad volume pot)

5) drivers window chrome trim - only one piece was missing and all the chrome is in wonderful shape.

6) installed rear 12v/cig lighter from a VDP (originally didn't come installed and the vents had been broken)

7) aligned trunk so leaper button and cabin release are functional and trunk now locks (this eliminated the trunk open indicator on dash)

8) disassembled clock console - I found a donor unit but it was dead and wouldn't lock or unlock

9) leather and cup holder "guts" transplanted from donor armrest (original was non-functional and broken. Donor had ripped leather but 100% functional)

My son "helped" with half of the list - not all of these were priority to me; however, I could tell they were important to him. He has started to sit inside the car and "daydream". It's the look I used to get when listening to music fantasizing about driving and all the different places and people I'd see. It's the look of youth, wonder and pride. Frankly, I'm blessed to have witnessed it and happy he's been taking an active role in the restoration.

Ive got a tranny flush and service in the near future to see if it will minimize a slight but noticeable-to-me shift to the final gear.

If if the plug wells and coils stay dry, then plugs and an oil change along with hunting down the squeal and any other tiny leaks which are appearing towards the front, just right of center.

Front struts will will also need to be replaced as the car gets lofty at speed with a full cabin.

Out for now,

Cheers!

Last edited by heyeugenio; 04-18-2017 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Grammar and clarity
Old 04-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics? I have a green one as well i'm trying to get running. If not, i'm going to part her out.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:58 AM
Default 2nd day of ownership pics

2nd day of ownership
Handsome bugger
After wire brush and some elbow grease but before the valve cover change this past weekend

Sorry for the poor iPhone pics; they don't do her justice. I will stage her properly and get some interior shots as well.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:19 AM

Replied with several pics yesterday; waiting for mods to approve as I still don't see my post...

mods???

Old 04-19-2017, 06:27 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by heyeugenio
Replied with several pics yesterday; waiting for mods to approve as I still don't see my post...

mods???
Sorted

Old 04-19-2017, 07:48 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Nice

another sage green

Old 04-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

The rubber radiator bushings are completely gone per your photos. If you grab the upper radiator hose you should be able to move the radiator back and forth, not a good thing!
There are 2 upper and 2 lower bushings on the radiator. There is also the air conditioner condenser bushings,also 2 upper and 2 lower that are probably missing also, that you can do at the same time.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Echoing Scotlad. The upper and lower radiator bushes are the same, ie one part number, 4 pcs. Upper and lower condenser bushes are different from those, and different from each other. Rock Auto is an affordable source for radiator bushes and upper condenser bushes. I haven't found lower condenser bushes anywhere besides the dealer. You need to look at that soon. The condensers are prone to shedding the lower bushes particularly and continued operation without the lower bushes (even with good uppers) will result in a tiny, but effective hole chafed in one of the condenser tubes, aft right side, about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom....don't bother asking how I know...

Old 04-19-2017, 08:23 AM

I may have the bushings on my parts car, I can check for you if you want to skip the dealer.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Sorted
Thank you!
Originally Posted by dagny747
another sage green
Didn't realize this was called "sage green". Kept calling it "jade"

Originally Posted by Scotlad
The rubber radiator bushings are completely gone per your photos. If you grab the upper radiator hose you should be able to move the radiator back and forth, not a good thing!
There are 2 upper and 2 lower bushings on the radiator. There is also the air conditioner condenser bushings,also 2 upper and 2 lower that are probably missing also, that you can do at the same time.
Yes; that's correct. It's pretty loose and I need to order the bushings.
Originally Posted by aholbro1
Echoing Scotlad. The upper and lower radiator bushes are the same, ie one part number, 4 pcs. Upper and lower condenser bushes are different from those, and different from each other. Rock Auto is an affordable source for radiator bushes and upper condenser bushes. I haven't found lower condenser bushes anywhere besides the dealer. You need to look at that soon. The condensers are prone to shedding the lower bushes particularly and continued operation without the lower bushes (even with good uppers) will result in a tiny, but effective hole chafed in one of the condenser tubes, aft right side, about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom....don't bother asking how I know...
Thanks for yet another heads-up! I may take up Dennis on his offer below

Originally Posted by willdennis
I may have the bushings on my parts car, I can check for you if you want to skip the dealer.
Shall I pm you for details/further? Not sure if I'm able to since I'm still a newb here but I can provide email or try pm. Your option sounds like a viable alternative. Thank you for reaching out and offering

Old 04-19-2017, 05:59 PM

Thanks for yet another heads-up! I may take up Dennis on his offer below

Shall I pm you for details/further? Not sure if I'm able to since I'm still a newb here but I can provide email or try pm. Your option sounds like a viable alternative. Thank you for reaching out and offering
I'm still a newb as well. So i'm not sure lol. Let me locate the bushings. Already removed radiator so I need to locate the bushings. I'll get some pics for you.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:16 PM

Messaged you heyeugenio

Old 04-19-2017, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by willdennis
Messaged you heyeugenio
replied

thanks

Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Jade Green

Originally Posted by dagny747
another sage green
Actually it is Jade Green, I should know I had it painted, Sage Green is the interior color. Also, if you go to a Jaguar dealer in the parts dept they can run a build sheet for you that shows all colors (interior, trim, etc) and options. The sheet says "The New Jaguar EPC"

Last edited by dagny747; 04-21-2017 at 09:10 AM.