XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

New-to-me '97 XJR - and its minor annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New-to-me '97 XJR - and its minor annoyances

Picked up a '97 X300 XJR this morning. Jade Green, Parchment interior, 57,000 mi. My first Jaguar, I'm expecting a fun, albeit eventful, ride.

This forum was invaluable in doing the due diligence from afar (I purchased the car from out of state). I was able to forward the PPI mechanic a list of items to keep an eye out for, and the car passed the mechanical review without incident.

I picked the car up this morning, and during the 150 mile drive down, I've uncovered the following. All appear to be cosmetic or annoying in nature; the car pulled strongly, exhibited no shake or wiggle (as one might expect if the suspension was started to deteriorate), and stopped resolutely.

- Slight pulse under braking. I'm assuming a very lightly warped disc at one of the corners. No big deal.

- Passenger side door interior appears to have slipped its clips, and is coming away. The interior door trim is itself in great shape, I think it's just elbow grease to shove it back into the door itself.

- Driver side seat is worn. The vertical portion of the bolster on the side is worn (I knew this from the seller photos), but the horizontal seat bolster is blown out. Doesn't make it uncomfortable, but the seat controls do come loose from the mount. Annoying, but short of replacing the whole seat, something I'll be forced to live with for now.

- Steering wheel telescope is shot; motor runs, tilt works, so pretty obviously a snapped cable. If I had more tools, I'd fix it, but as it is, it's adjusted as I want it, so I'm not wasting the hour to fix it.

The things I believe I can fix, and that mystify me, are as follows:

- The driver's side mirror will only adjust in and down. Basically, using the interior switches, I can only turn the mirror to see more of the door. The passenger side mirror can be moved in all four directions, so the switch itself seems to be working. Even more weirdly, I can adjust the mirror with my hand, set the memory, and the motor will return to the memory position if adjusted. So it seems that the motor works as well. I'm confused!

- The central locking feature will only unlock, it will not lock. I can lock with the key, and the central lock on the center console also works. What gives?

Can't find anything for either problem using the search feature. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be much obliged. As it is, neither detract from my enjoyment of the drive this morning, and looking forward to doubling the miles before I send her on her way.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Randy:
You clearly have the right attitude for enjoying a 16 year old Jaguar! As to your items:
1) What color is the interior? There might be someone with an extra seat cushion around here.
2) If the clips that hold the door card on are broken, you can get replacements from Coventry West or other online Jag parts stores. I have never found a "universal" clip at the local auto parts that would work.
As to the mirror switches, the switch joystick is a multi-pole switch and, as you can see from this piece of the schematic, different contacts work the left and right sides. So, I might look for a dirty or bad switch or a broken wire.

Attached Thumbnails New-to-me '97 XJR - and its minor annoyances-mirror.jpg  

Last edited by sparkenzap; 07-15-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Randy:
You clearly have the right attitude for enjoying a 16 year old Jaguar! As too your items:
1) What color is the interior? There might be someone with an extra seat cushion around here.
2) If the clips that hold the door card on are broken, you can get replacements from Coventry West or other online Jag parts stores. I have never found a "universal" clip at the local auto parts that would work.
As to the mirror switches, the switch joystick is a multi-pole switch and, as you can see from this piece of the schematic, different contacts work the left and right sides. So, I might look for a dirty or bad switch or a broken wire.
Thanks Ross. I've been trained (had my spirit broken?) by my garage queen Porsche 993 C4S. I suspect the XJS will be drama free by comparison!

The car's interior is Parchment, I believe. A greyish-white beige color. Given the general disrepair of the scuffing of the seat back bolster, I may just spend a little money and see what it would cost to have the thing restored? That said, if anyone has a spare seat cushion in my color, I'd be interested!

When I pulled the door trim away from the door, it looked like the clips were still there. I was at a rest stop in NJ, and haven't had the chance to investigate further. I appreciate the tip re: Coventry West.

I have fixed the remote locking problem. I have done absolutely nothing, the problem appears to have simply disappeared. Kudos to me on a job well done.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Thats the best fix, except it many times does not stay "fixed"!!!

Old 07-15-2013, 05:36 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I just ordered a new bottom foam seat cushion from the dealer. It makes the seat feel like new to your bum.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by OWRltd
I just ordered a new bottom foam seat cushion from the dealer. It makes the seat feel like new to your bum.
Is this just the cushion (i.e., the foam padding below the leather), or the entire seat cushion assembly, including the leather upholstery?

And how much did the ******* charge you for this? It sounds like possibly the right direction, as the seat back suffers from solely an abraded side bolster, which can be fixed really easily.