XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

No Mileage shows on Odometer

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Mileage shows on Odometer

Help me out here if you can. My 1997 XJ6 is not starting. First, it turned over for a second, then shut off. On subsequent attempts, no gauge panel lights come on at all. If I lock and unlock with the fob, I. An turn it over for about 2-3 seconds but then everything shuts off again. I can repeat this process over and over. Also, no rpms register when cranking but will register when it fires up just before it shuts off.

I took the battery out and it tested "good battery." The only issue prior to this event was the windshield wiper not working sporadically. I've combed through pages of forums and I'm thinking either crank position sensor or ECM.

My question is: Why doesn't my mileage show up on the odometer? Can this be a clue to what the underlying problem is? I can't seem to find any other issues similar to this on other forums.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Sounds as if you may have a bad/loose electrical connection somewhere. Have you tampered with any of the wiring lately? Have you checked for any blown fuses? With your ignition in the "on" position,do you get power to your accessories (stereo,windows,lights,radio,etc.)? If not you might want to check your main fuse by the battery in the trunk or under the rear seat area. If the fuses are fine then start by cleaning the battery terminals good.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:15 PM

No changes to any wiring. I have full power to all windows, mirrors, seats, radio, alarm, etc. It actually started up when the tow truck was en route and the mileage showed back up, but it did have a rough idle. Battery terminals have a clean connection also. It's in the shop right now but haven't heard any updates yet.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Knackered coils will mess with your instrument panel, make it flash and do funny things, but I've not heard of it isolating the effects to just the odometer window.

Maybe suggest to the shop they pull the coil cover and fire it up in the dark to see if there's a lightning show?

Old 01-26-2017, 10:29 PM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

It may also be a poor connection on one of the plugs at the back of the gauge cluster if it's intermittent.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:44 AM

Mechanic found a bad wire in the ignition switch. Replaced it and everything starts up and runs normally. Still don't know what issue with the mileage was, but everything seems to be back to normal.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (02-05-2017)