XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

oil additives

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil additives

changing oil in 1995 xj6 thinking of using a 5w-30 and was told about BG oil additives how is this compared to lucas additives is one better than other and will either harm xj6 6 cyl motor?

Old 10-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

BG products are generally very good....not snake oil. Additives to the oil shouldn't be required but I can't see any harm being done.

5/30 is a little light unless you're gonna be in sub-freezing conditions....which given your location might be the case.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
zeal (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Default oil additives

thanks for the tip it generally gets cold here in n.y im not sure what oil i should actually use some suggest 10w/30, 20w / 50 , 5w/ 30 , i was thinking the additive would help with engine life, and have heard that BG is a good product and lucas is good too the 20w/ 50 oil seems strange to me as i am new to the jaguar and would like it to live for a long time

Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Use the viscosity recommended by Jag in the owners manual for your climate- no need to second guess there. As to additives, the engines live long and healthy lives without them.

Last edited by Mikey; 10-21-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

talking of oil what would any one reccomend on for 4.0 6 cyl with 183500 on the clock as mine due, car in u/k yorkshire

Old 10-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

5W-40 Dual spec dsl/petrol synthetic=Goodness. Or 15W--40 dino , but winter in NY you'll see better fuel econ and less noise on cold start with the syn
If you are thinking additive, search out Brutal's posts on Engine Restore.

Last edited by aholbro1; 10-21-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I am with Mike on this stay with the oil viscosity recommended in your manual based on the climate. As for the BG additive if you use synthetic oil why use the additive and with todays oils I am not sure an additive is necessary. I will provide a link for a website that is a wealth of information about oil and it may prove to be beneficial. A more personal note I use 10w-30w synthetic oil in booth of my car.

Link - Bob is the Oil Guy

Old 10-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Oil additives, especially those which claim to remove varnish, gunk, etc, are a problem waiting to happen.

As an engine ages through use, very fine layers of oil, rubber, varnish, etc build up in the contact areas of seal to shaft. The seals have hardened with age and don't have as much "give".

When the additive or cleaner is used, the 'build up' is removed from the shaft, and now there is a gap between the seal and the shaft. Consequently, the seal leaks.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:36 AM

I apologize for bump the old topic, but I have some interesting observations that I would like to share, maybe this will help someone in the future because once I was on the lookout for useful advice.
I have seen good results with SOME oil additives over 30 years of playing arround with cars and stuff....but I have also seen some pretty ordinary additives that where, either never good or have been overtaken by the general state of technology or better additives. I have seen low friction plastics (teflon and the like) products work very well in engine oil in older motors. I am very suspicious of any additive that is added to all oils in all applications. Changing the friction properties in gearbox oil for example can cause issues with the syncros, that work on friction. Likewise if you have a limited slip diff...that also works on friction. One particular product known for its "copper lead molecules", was recemmended in any and all oils.....hell there have been some things gummed up by that stuff.....and its a technology that has been overtaken decades ago. Before the " teflon revolution" in the early 80's, there where lots of graphite and molibdim disulphide fricton reduction products on the market, I remember scraping half an inch of the stuff out of the bottom of the oil filter canister in my mums Morris 1100, after this stuff was used every oil change during the warranty period as specified by UK motors. That technology too has been over taken. There was a very good case for friction reduction and stabilising additives in oil and octain improvers in fuel in the 50s, 60s, 70s and right into the early 80s. But the use of finely ground soft metals, graphites and the like was main streamed in standard specification engine oils in the 80's, and in a far more developed and measured form...and has probaly been overtaken....current good specification oils have a very strong detergent, friction reduction, stabilisation package standard....and that package consists of things we would have baught as an aftermarket additive in the past. It would take quite a bit of, good evidence to convince me to use an oil additive these days...and that means detail about what it contains, how it works and independednt tests. If its ya engine you are interested in....here comes the cracked record again....the best thing you can do is put a modern correctly specified oil in the sump. Unless you have a very late model car you cant go past one of the top spec, mixed fleet, diesel spec oils like, Shell rimular, Mobil devlac, Caltex dello or Castrol RX super https://mechanicguides.com/best-oil-additive/ (recently upgraded). ANd ya wont need an oil flushing chemical either.....get where I am comming from

Old 12-04-2019, 06:46 AM
Wink oil additive

Oil additives are chemical compounds that improve the lubricant performance of base oil (or oil "base stock"). The manufacturer of many different oils can utilize the same base stock for each formulation and can choose different additives for each specific application. Additives comprise up to 5% by weight of some oils.[1]

Nearly all commercial motor oils contain additives, whether the oils are synthetic or petroleum based. Essentially, only the American Petroleum Institute (API) Service SA motor oils have no additives, and they are therefore incapable of protecting modern engines.[2] The choice of additives is determined by the application, e.g. the oil for a diesel engine with direct injection in a pickup truck (API Service CJ-4) has different additives than the oil used in a small gasoline-powered outboard motor on a boat (2-cycle engine oil).Types of additives
Oil additives are vital for the proper lubrication and prolonged use of motor oil in modern internal combustion engines. Without many of these, the oil would become contaminated, break down, leak out, or not properly protect engine parts at all operating temperatures. Just as important are oil additives for oils used inside gearboxes, automatic transmissions, and bearings. Some of the most important additives include those used for viscosity and lubricity, contaminant control, for the control of chemical breakdown, and for seal conditioning. Some additives permit lubricants to perform better under severe conditions, such as extreme pressures and temperatures and high levels of contamination.

Controlling chemical breakdown
Detergent additives, dating back to the early 1930s,[3] are used to clean and neutralize oil impurities which would normally cause deposits (oil sludge) on vital engine parts. Typical detergents are magnesium sulfonates.
Corrosion or rust inhibiting additives retard the oxidation of metals inside an engine.
Antioxidant additives retard the degradation of the oil stock by oxidation. Typical additives are organic amines and phenols.
Metal deactivators create a film on metal surfaces to prevent the metal from causing the oil to be oxidized.
Bases may be used to combat chemical decomposition of the base stock oil in the presence of acids. When oil is subjected to shear wear and oxidation by air and combustion gases, it will have a tendency to collect acids and increase its Total Acid Number (TAN). For example, the breakdown acids found in used gear oil may include carbocyclic acids, ketones, esters, and nitration and sulfation byproducts.[4] However, organic and inorganic bases and detergents are included in most formulated oils, as discussed in the following paragraph, so some (but not all) of these contaminants will be neutralized. Gear oil degradation and longevity can be measured by its TAN.

Chemical structure of a zinc dialkyldithiophosphate, a typical antiwear agent found in many motor oils.
Alkaline additives are used to neutralize the acids mentioned previously, and also help prevent the formation of sulfates in a working oil. A formulated oil will often have KOH (potassium hydroxide), a strong base, in small amounts, as it is an effective neutralizer used in refining petroleum.[5] Additives that perform a similar function in a motor oil include magnesium and calcium sulphonates, salicylates, and phenates.[4] These are the detergent additives mentioned previously. To measure the alkalinity potential of a formulated oil, it is tested to obtain the equivalent amount of KOH to arrive at the oil's Total Base Number (TBN) with units of mg of KOH per gram of oil. As the additive package degrades, TBN will decrease until the motor oil needs to be replaced. Further use of the oil will permit sludge, varnish, and metal corrosion.[4] An important measurement of a motor oil's degradation and longevity is its TBN relative to a new oil.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

To echo point made earlier, the AJ16 engine is renowned for its longevity, with previous threads having identified examples with intergallactic mileages still going strong. There is no evidence to suggest that it needs or benefits from oil additives, so even if you are one of those who believes in them, there would seem little in the way of likely benefit to offset the usually not inconsiderable cost.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:04 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate Water
Oil additives are chemical compounds that improve the lubricant performance of base oil (or oil "base stock"). .....
Welcome to the forums Innovate Water,

Firstly let me offer early congratulations on your forthcoming 116th birthday next month.

Perhaps you would care to explain the purpose in simply quoting a Wikipedia article?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_additive

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
Cafcpete (12-05-2019), Don B (02-07-2020), SleekJag12 (12-06-2019)
Old 01-29-2020, 06:17 AM
Default Suggestion

The Oil/lubricant market in the Middle East has been a prime aspect in terms of economy and growth because the majority of the components of it are re-exported back to the country. For decades UAE has been a top exporter of oil and its counterparts meeting the high demand for oil additives and lubricants in the UAE and its neighboring countries.
Africa, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and India are the targeted countries that are importing oil from the UAE. In the past few years, CIS and East Africa have also been coming up as high-value regions that are importing anti-wear oil additives and other lubricants from the UAE.
Being a top-ranked nation, the number of lubricants being harvested, treated and produced is enormous catering to internal waters as well. Which is why there has been an increase in exports to East Africa. The engine oil additives manufacturers and other companies provide cost-effective solutions to meet the rising demand and offer multiple grades of lubricants.
UAE Strength in Lubricants
UAE has been a market leader in providing lubricants to different regions and their strength relies in good quality and high-quality lubricants. They are able to produce and offer oil additives and other lubricants to African buyers at a very cheap price compared to other oil-exporting countries.
This is the reason they can easily operate their processes with a low-profit margin focusing more on the quantity being shipped. Even the cost of production, raw materials and the buffer stock they create is relatively cheap because they are producing it.
It’s one of the reasons why the UAE receives multiple repeat orders since the past so many years and African clients come quite often to UAE to pool their resources as prices in African regions is double the rate making it unfeasible to generate lubricants.
Dubai is a great start for lubricant business as the goods are easily available and it has shipping links to most of the countries and has a well-structured environment. This relationship with other countries will strengthen with time and the reliance African buyers have from UAE. It will be beneficial for both the parties and multiple other UAE based oil-producing companies.

Retaining Oil Additives Quality

Oil cannot stay in its shape for years. Every lubricant has a time period in which it retains its quality and strength. It is critical to acknowledge that the majority of the lubricants deplete with time. These lubricants face:
  1. Breakdown in particles and decomposition
  2. Being absorbed to water surfaces, metal, and other substances
  3. Settles down and filters
The absorption occurs through mass transfer and movement in the additives particles and improper packaging.

The same applies to anti-wear oil additives which wear off their quality with time. Although they retain their quality better than normal lubricants but eventually tear down.
Types of Lubricant Additives
  • Anti-oxidants
  • Rust and Corrosion Inhibitors
  • Viscosity Index Improvers
  • Anti-wear (AW) Agents
  • Extreme Pressure (EP) Additives
  • Dispersants
  • Anti-foaming Agents
  • Detergents
  • Pour Point Depressants
  • Emulsifiers
  • Friction Modifiers