XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Question about key fobs on UK spec Jags.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Question about key fobs on UK spec Jags.

Hi Guys and Guyesses,
The actual programming of the key fob seems to have worked well but the snag is that I don't know what a fully functioning key fob is supposed to be able to do. The annoying thing is that I remember seeing the info about "One press does this, 2 presses does that" etc but I can't find it on this site.
Does anybody know?
ps .... I remember seeing something about a certain press combo turning on the headlights for 25 seconds. Ideal for where we live and park.
Cheers,
Steve

Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 5tevie
Hi Guys and Guyesses,
The actual programming of the key fob seems to have worked well but the snag is that I don't know what a fully functioning key fob is supposed to be able to do. The annoying thing is that I remember seeing the info about "One press does this, 2 presses does that" etc but I can't find it on this site.
Does anybody know?
ps .... I remember seeing something about a certain press combo turning on the headlights for 25 seconds. Ideal for where we live and park.
Cheers,
Steve
Hi Stevie, I know that on mine, if, after locking the doors by pressing the larger button, I then keep the same button depressed for a couple of seconds, the headlights come on and switch off after the period you describe.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Biffta, can I just check that you mean that you press and release to lock the doors and then press and hold to activate the light jobbie?
It's easy to say, "Just try it" but unless you know what it does and when it is supposed to do it, you can never tell if yours is busted.
Cheers,
Steve

Old 05-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 5tevie
Hi Biffta, can I just check that you mean that you press and release to lock the doors and then press and hold to activate the light jobbie?
It's easy to say, "Just try it" but unless you know what it does and when it is supposed to do it, you can never tell if yours is busted.
Cheers,
Steve
Yes, press & hold (after locking with the first press). After a couple of seconds or so, the lights should come on. At that point release the button.
I'm not sure though if this option is on all models. More useful for me would be if this second press would close any windows left open. It's very annoying to have to open up, switch on the ignition and power them closed before locking again.
I'm pretty sure though that this option may well be available on some variants (but not mine!).