Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   Question about X305 (XJ12) differential interchange (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/question-about-x305-xj12-differential-interchange-163018/)

juha_teuvonnen 05-18-2016 06:34 PM

Question about X305 (XJ12) differential interchange

Does anybody know what ratio does 1996 XJ12 rear end use? Also, is there a way to visually distinguish an LSD from an open diff? I need a diff for my X300 normally aspirated car.

Doug 05-18-2016 09:56 PM

The V12 used the 3.58

Not sure about external identification....unless here's a tag mentioning LSD.

Seems like I read the LSD units had a paint stripe on the side or something? Not quite sure, though.

Others will chime in.

Cheers
DD

motorcarman 05-20-2016 09:57 PM

Limited Slip Diffs have a BLACK X through the ratio color code sticker.
3.58:1 will have a red and yellow stripe sticker. If the sticker has a BLACK X across it, that will be a limited slip.

JEPC has the info

Blue=4.09
Blue Black X=LSD
Brown=3.77
Brown Black X=LSD
Orange=3.27
Orange Black X=LSD
Red/Yellow=3.58
Red/Yellow Black X=LSD

bob

SleekJag12 05-23-2016 03:58 AM

My Vehicle Care manual states the diff ratio is 3.54:1 for all X300 types. ? An inconsequential difference anyhow. The limited slip (referred to as "Powr-Loc" in the manual) apparently was an option on the XJ12, but who knows if it was available for USA models?

You finally got her running smooth, and now a diff problem? What are your symptoms?

Doug 05-23-2016 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12 (Post 1467259)
My Vehicle Care manual states the diff ratio is 3.54:1 for all X300 types. ? An inconsequential difference anyhow.

I've seen 3.54 mentioned as well but more often 3.58 is quoted

The XJR/6 came with 3.27 gears.
XJ6 4.0 and XJ12 came with 3.58
XJ6 3.2 came with 3.77 or 4.09...if my memory serves

The limited slip (referred to as "Powr-Loc" in the manual) apparently was an option on the XJ12, but who knows if it was available for USA models?

The consensus is that it was not offered in USA V12 X300 cars, which is supported by my sales brochures.

Cheers
DD

juha_teuvonnen 05-23-2016 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12 (Post 1467259)
You finally got her running smooth, and now a diff problem? What are your symptoms?

Noise coming back from the rear end, louder at low speed. I also feel the vibration transferred onto the handbrake lever which makes me think that the rear hub bearings could be shot as well. The shop told me that the car needs a diff, and the guy at the shop knows these cars well. I'll get the car running on the lift and listen with mechanic's stethoscope, but I am very sure it's the diff. May be both, diff and bearings, though.

Was LSD offered on US models as an option?

The diff is Salisbury 14HU, right? I seem to remember reading that Ring and Pinion are the same as one of the Dana Spicer units, but I can't find that link now.

I am thinking about buying a spare diff, rebuilding it and taking it to a professional to check out that I ajdusted it right.

Doug 05-23-2016 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by juha_teuvonnen (Post 1467828)
Noise coming back from the rear end, louder at low speed. I also feel the vibration transferred onto the handbrake lever which makes me think that the rear hub bearings could be shot as well. The shop told me that the car needs a diff, and the guy at the shop knows these cars well. I'll get the car running on the lift and listen with mechanic's stethoscope, but I am very sure it's the diff. May be both, diff and bearings, though.

These cars have a bit of an appetite for diffs and wheel bearings. I had to replace the diff on my XJR/6 at just 75k miles and over the course of the years replaced rear wheel/hub bearings as well

Was LSD offered on US models as an option?
It was standard on the XJR/6 and, AFAIK, optional on USA market XJ6 cars....though it seems very few came thru with it. It was n/a on USA X300 V12s

The diff is Salisbury 14HU, right? I seem to remember reading that Ring and Pinion are the same as one of the Dana Spicer units, but I can't find that link now.
Can't remember the model number offhand.

The old style (inboard brake type) differentials were a kissin' cousin to the Dana 44 and some have used Dana gears. Not sure about the later differentials

Cheers
DD

plums 05-23-2016 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by juha_teuvonnen (Post 1467828)

Dana 44.

BUT, the pinion has a different spline count requiring
a special order companion flange, AND, the ring gear
holes are often/usually 3/8" versus 7/16".

Search for posts by ICSAmerica.

It is not likely that the gears themselves need replacement
unless they suffered from lack of lubrication. I would suspect
bearings or loss of preload first.

Loss of preload would be the cheapest to repair.

juha_teuvonnen 05-24-2016 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by plums (Post 1467912)
Dana 44.

BUT, the pinion has a different spline count requiring
a special order companion flange, AND, the ring gear
holes are often/usually 3/8" versus 7/16".

Search for posts by ICSAmerica.

It is not likely that the gears themselves need replacement
unless they suffered from lack of lubrication. I would suspect
bearings or loss of preload first.

Loss of preload would be the cheapest to repair.

I was contemplating changing the rear end ratio a to make the car feel a little bit quicker. I am fine with losing a bit of top speed and fuel economy. I don't remember ever driving the Jag over 100 mph, so if the top speed goes from 136 mph to 120 mph I could care less.

Coventry77 11-06-2021 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman (Post 1466060)
Limited Slip Diffs have a BLACK X through the ratio color code sticker.
3.58:1 will have a red and yellow stripe sticker. If the sticker has a BLACK X across it, that will be a limited slip.

JEPC has the info

Blue=4.09
Blue Black X=LSD
Brown=3.77
Brown Black X=LSD
Orange=3.27
Orange Black X=LSD
Red/Yellow=3.58
Red/Yellow Black X=LSD

bob

FYI
I have a 2.88 out of an '85 xj12 and it has a green with black X

xalty 11-06-2021 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Coventry77 (Post 2461659)
FYI
I have a 2.88 out of an '85 xj12 and it has a green with black X

different car

Coventry77 11-06-2021 09:28 PM

Yes, that is why i included the year and model. I was just trying to add to Bobs list of color codes for anyone wondering what green w/black X meant. Sorry if my info was not appropriate for this conversation.

Cafcpete 11-07-2021 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Coventry77 (Post 2461962)
Yes, that is why i included the year and model. I was just trying to add to Bobs list of color codes for anyone wondering what green w/black X meant. Sorry if my info was not appropriate for this conversation.

Thank you. All info will come in handy sometime!