XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Quick Question About Cup Holder

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 02:09 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Quick Question About Cup Holder

I know most of us have a broken cup holder, i too have one as well. I would like to replace the cup holder, can anyone confirm if this is the right part number for the cup holder? GNA7692AB

Old 01-04-2015, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Cup holder...Tragic!

Yes it appears to be correct...Console cupholder original jaguar #gna7692ab fits 1998-2003 xj8

Assuming you have an early X308 as you don't say.

Last edited by Gippsland; 01-04-2015 at 05:29 AM. Reason: because I felt like it.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Gippsland
Cup holder...Tragic!

Yes it appears to be correct...Console cupholder original jaguar #gna7692ab fits 1998-2003 xj8

Assuming you have an early X308 as you don't say.
my mistake, i have a 96 xjr, so that part number must be wrong then.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:39 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

The only question I ever have about cupholders is - WHY?

I detest them and had a plain Centre Console lid which I moved from my X300 to X308 and then XK8, refitting the cupholder version when I sold each of the cars.

As the lids were interchangeable (apart from the catches), this suggests the cupholder repair kit should also fit all these models.

A check on British Parts website shows the repair kit GNA7692AB fits all lids from the XJ40 through to the XK8:

Quick Question About Cup Holder-cupholder.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Graham

Old 01-04-2015, 02:55 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi FrozenApple,

A number of us have repaired the cupholder mechanisms. Usually, it's one of the bottom corner plastic hinge pin sockets that breaks, and it can be reconstructed with sheetmetal, epoxy or other suitable materials.

If you don't want to go to all that trouble, the second best option is to purchase a salvaged console lid from eBay. For the cost of the repair kit, you can often buy 2 or 3 salvaged lids and just swap the cupholder parts into your lid. I look for examples with worn or damaged leather so they sell cheap (I paid less than USD $20 for one, but typically I've had to pay $40-$50). Swapping the parts is a little complicated and fiddly, but not much worse than installing the repair kit parts.

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
FrozenApple (01-05-2015), MountainMan (01-06-2015), XJRay (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi FrozenApple,

A number of us have repaired the cupholder mechanisms. Usually, it's one of the bottom corner plastic hinge pin sockets that breaks, and it can be reconstructed with sheetmetal, epoxy or other suitable materials.

If you don't want to go to all that trouble, the second best option is to purchase a salvaged console lid from eBay. For the cost of the repair kit, you can often buy 2 or 3 salvaged lids and just swap the cupholder parts into your lid. I look for examples with worn or damaged leather so they sell cheap (I paid less than USD $20 for one, but typically I've had to pay $40-$50). Swapping the parts is a little complicated and fiddly, but not much worse than installing the repair kit parts.

Cheers,

Don
Thank you Don! Its actually interesting buying a console lid for parts

Old 01-05-2015, 04:24 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

I never had a cupholder fitted to my x300 but thought that anything might be better than balancing a cup of hot coffee between my legs, so......I made up a simple insert to sit inside the top of the cubby/storage console. I lost the storage space to a degree, but given that it usually only held rubbish, this was no harm.

This is just the prototype that I made (ages ago) but it works fine, with no moving parts whatsoever. Close the lid and it's gone from sight! and if I want to use the cubby instead, I just lift the panel out and pop it in the glove box.

When I get my hands on a suitable bit of burr walnut to match the cars' interior, it will be replaced.

Just an alternative approach.

Attached Thumbnails Quick Question About Cup Holder-pict0238.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by sogood:
jagent (01-05-2015), littlelic69 (01-10-2015), Shelby676 (05-18-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by sogood
I never had a cupholder fitted to my x300 but thought that anything might be better than balancing a cup of hot coffee between my legs, so......I made up a simple insert to sit inside the top of the cubby/storage console. I lost the storage space to a degree, but given that it usually only held rubbish, this was no harm.

This is just the prototype that I made (ages ago) but it works fine, with no moving parts whatsoever. Close the lid and it's gone from sight! and if I want to use the cubby instead, I just lift the panel out and pop it in the glove box.

When I get my hands on a suitable bit of burr walnut to match the cars' interior, it will be replaced.

Just an alternative approach.
holy **** that looks pretty nice lol, i like the idea!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

If you want the more durable version, look for the 2003 version of the cupholder that has the steel hinges. Used ones turn up on eBay every so often.

There is a heck of a deal on one right now on eBay (get it quick):

Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas 1998 1999 00 01 02 2003 Center Console Armrest Cup Holder | eBay

.... if the color is wrong on the cup holder cover above, you can repaint the vinyl by going to an auto paint shop and having them match the color as you'll have to use this cup holder front vinyl cover as it only fits the 2003 cup holder with hinges. Your old cover will not bolt onto the 2003 cup holder with the steel hinges.

The following 2 users liked this post by al_roethlisberger:
93SB (01-05-2015), Don B (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Nice idea Sogood, I love the home-made cubby insert, looks very nicely finished! Did you tighten up the "lid open" retainer? Trying not to picture the consequences of the lid slamming shut on your coffee - at 70mph!

Even when stationary my lid used to slam shut seemingly without any provocation and the cup holder would spring open - until I stiffened the whole mechanism up. I reckon loose cubby lids are the cause of many original cup holders breaking.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
If you want the more durable version, look for the 2003 version of the cupholder that has the steel hinges. Used ones turn up on eBay every so often.

There is a heck of a deal on one right now on eBay (get it quick):

Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas 1998 1999 00 01 02 2003 Center Console Armrest Cup Holder | eBay

.... if the color is wrong on the cup holder cover above, you can repaint the vinyl by going to an auto paint shop and having them match the color as you'll have to use this cup holder front vinyl cover as it only fits the 2003 cup holder with hinges. Your old cover will not bolt onto the 2003 cup holder with the steel hinges.
whoa nice!! would the whole thing fit the x300?

Old 01-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by jagent
Nice idea Sogood, I love the home-made cubby insert, looks very nicely finished! Did you tighten up the "lid open" retainer? Trying not to picture the consequences of the lid slamming shut on your coffee - at 70mph!

Even when stationary my lid used to slam shut seemingly without any provocation and the cup holder would spring open - until I stiffened the whole mechanism up. I reckon loose cubby lids are the cause of many original cup holders breaking.
Thanks and yes, the slamming lid was addressed some time ago! The insert is just a prototype (but still in use!) and I keep my eyes open in "Carpet and Flooring" stores, as they very often have short sample pieces of their stock of hardwood flooring available for sale, usually around €5.00 or less, so just looking out for a Burr Walnut, or similar, to make a more permanent insert.

What's there is just a piece of 1/2" plywood, with the bottom edges routed/reduced, to allow the piece to sit flush and to stop it floating about.

But it works fine!

Old 01-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by FrozenApple
whoa nice!! would the whole thing fit the x300?
The mechanism are all the same, so you can disassemble the X308 cupholder and put it in X300 center console lid. All you have to do is undo some torx screws.
You don't have to re dye the leather, you can use your own leather part.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Japthug
The mechanism are all the same, so you can disassemble the X308 cupholder and put it in X300 center console lid. All you have to do is undo some torx screws.
You don't have to re dye the leather, you can use your own leather part.

To clarify, the armrest part of the console lid is interchangeable between the X300 and X308, and XK too for that matter.

The cupholder "cover" is however not interchangeable from 1995-2002 "without hinges" and the 2003 "with hinges" cupholders, although the cupholder mechanism itself is a bolt in affair.

The 2003 cup holder must be paired with its 2003 cover. So you must either have the same color cover you need on the 2003, paint the 2003 cover to match, or peel off the leather from your non-2003 cover and reinstall it on the 2003 cover.

The plastic core of the 2003 cupholder cover is made a little different to clear the 2003 hinges.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
To clarify, the armrest part of the console lid is interchangeable between the X300 and X308, and XK too for that matter. The cupholder "cover" is however not interchangeable from 1995-2002 "without hinges" and the 2003 "with hinges" cupholders, although the cupholder mechanism itself is a bolt in affair. The 2003 cup holder must be paired with its 2003 cover. So you must either have the same color cover you need on the 2003, paint the 2003 cover to match, or peel off the leather from your non-2003 czover and reinstall it on the 2003 cover. The plastic core of the 2003 cupholder cover is made a little different to clear the 2003 hinges. .

I actually one saw the revised cup holder mechanism was attached to the X300 console lid. So it can be attached with some minor mod if needed. I have never done that mod on my own, so just a guess though^^;

Last edited by Japthug; 01-07-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Japthug
I actually one saw the revised cup holder mechanism was attached to the X300 console lid. So it can be attached with some minor mod if needed. I have never done that mod on my own, so just a guess though^^;
Yes, the 2003 revised cupholder (complete assembly) will bolt right into a pre-2003 armrest with no modification.

What I'm saying is that the vinyl (faux leather) coated plastic cover for the 2003 cupholder itself (not armrest portion) must be used with the 2003 cupholder assembly. A pre-2003 cupholder cover will not fit the 2003 cupholder as the new hinges will be in the way.

If the color of your new 2003 cupholder cover is different than your interior, the options to get it to match are what I covered above:

- paint the 2003 cupholder cover
- unglue/reglue your old cupholder "leather" onto the new 2003 cupholder cover

.... we're probably trying to say the same thing

The following users liked this post:
Japthug (01-08-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 06:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

I'm a new x300 owner, and have spent some time in the archives researching the Cup Holder problems. Funny that there is only a couple of mentions of the springs that cause all the problems.
This afternoon, I disassembled the unit, initially to remove the black rods visible when the cup holder is open. Then I saw the rods are attached to a plastic piece that runs inside a stiff 3.5" spring on each side of the cup holder. After gently prying the rod off of the plastic piece on each side, I removed the springs on each side, and pushed the rod back into position.

The cup holder closes, doesn't pop open! The console looks correct. If I need the cup holder, it easily opens manually, without depending on the over-engineered spring/damper assembly.
The previous owner had already worked on the hinge/pivot area, so all's good!
see picture of spring removed ...

Attached Thumbnails Quick Question About Cup Holder-xj6-cupholder-spring.jpg  
Old 05-16-2015, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by LouieXK
I'm a new x300 owner, and have spent some time in the archives researching the Cup Holder problems. Funny that there is only a couple of mentions of the springs that cause all the problems.
This afternoon, I disassembled the unit, initially to remove the black rods visible when the cup holder is open. Then I saw the rods are attached to a plastic piece that runs inside a stiff 3.5" spring on each side of the cup holder. After gently prying the rod off of the plastic piece on each side, I removed the springs on each side, and pushed the rod back into position.

The cup holder closes, doesn't pop open! The console looks correct. If I need the cup holder, it easily opens manually, without depending on the over-engineered spring/damper assembly.
The previous owner had already worked on the hinge/pivot area, so all's good!
see picture of spring removed ...
On mine car... its the hinge that is broken.. so i assume i need more then the repair kit lol

Old 05-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There's about 10 different repair methods in the archives -- removing the unneeded spring tension will make everything easier.

Lou
97 xj6
85 xj6
67 Mk2

Old 05-16-2015, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by LouieXK
There's about 10 different repair methods in the archives -- removing the unneeded spring tension will make everything easier.

Lou
97 xj6
85 xj6
67 Mk2
What's the best method to repair the broken hinges? currently because of the broken hinge, doesn't even close properly

Quick Reply: Quick Question About Cup Holder