XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Rear shocks - any to avoid?

Old 06-17-2016, 03:43 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rear shocks - any to avoid?

Hi

The rear shocks on my recently acquired X300 are past their best. In fact old MOTs show advisories saying "no damping" how come that's not a fail like a leaky one that still has damping is?

Anyway - does anyone have any warnings regarding makes to avoid?

Cheers

Glen.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 365 Posts

Glen,
No particular X300 specific advice, beyond the usual "you get what you pay for". What you will find on here are several threads discussing the optimum method for removing and replacing the shocks (I vote for A frame removal), and a complete consensus on the importance of the top and bottom shock bushes being it tip top condition. For my part, I use Jaguar supplied bushes, but there are also good reviews on polyurethane bushes. Remember to check the condition of the foam "seats" at the top of the spring/shock too.

The following users liked this post:
Freebird (06-18-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

I have had Bilstein Touring class (which are for sale in the classifieds w/only 20K miles btw) and Koni's on mine now. Go with either of those two manufacturers and do Bilstein sport if you have an XJR. I have heard KYB ride very rough, anything cheaper and you're taking chances, most especially on the rear which is a pain to do/pay for more than once. Trust me I've hacked that thing open four times now with all of the combos I have run.

The following 2 users liked this post by SD96XJ6L:
DennisHolz (09-24-2016), Freebird (06-18-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Freebird
Hi

The rear shocks on my recently acquired X300 are past their best. In fact old MOTs show advisories saying "no damping" how come that's not a fail like a leaky one that still has damping is?

Anyway - does anyone have any warnings regarding makes to avoid?

Cheers

Glen.
I'd recommend getting the originals rebuilt if you can find a Bilstein shock reconditioner.
I had a bad experience with KYB replacement front shocks, but no experience of other brands of rear shock