Go Back  Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 )
Reload this Page >

Rear Suspension Aftermarket Bushings and Spring Coil Count?

XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Rear Suspension Aftermarket Bushings and Spring Coil Count?

Old 03-23-2019, 03:59 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Rear Suspension Aftermarket Bushings and Spring Coil Count?

Will be doing some rear suspension work in two weeks, planning on replacing the rear dampers, A-frame bushes and spring isolators. There are aftermarket versions of both the A-frame bushes and spring isolators, I was curious whether anyone has experience with these? They are available from SNG Barrett, about half the price of the Jaguar parts. Ive also noticed a TSB regarding vibration and poor ride quality when the rear of the car is heavily loaded, and I do notice that the ride quality over large bumps suffers considerably when I have 3 or more passengers. The solution to the TSB is a rear spring kit with more coils. Ive checked my VIN and my car should be fitted with them already, however I know that if the rear springs have been replaced at some point, they could of easily been substituted for the shorter ones, so is there a visual check I can do to confirm my springs? how many coils are there on each version of the springs?

Old 03-23-2019, 07:28 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 610 Likes on 508 Posts

You may want to start a new thread with those questions. You might not get the right people looking for it under “Rough Idle”.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 08:55 AM
Received 7,678 Likes on 4,282 Posts

Hi Alster370,

I have moved your post from a thread on Rough Idle to begin your own thread on the suspension issues about which you are inquiring.

I can't answer your question about the spring coil count, but I have successfully used many aftermarket bushings and spring isolators, so as long as you purchase from a reliable source like SNG Barratt you can save your money and not worry about premature failure of the parts. The one brand from which I have personally had inconsistent results is ÜRO Parts, so I would recommend you avoid their products if other options are available.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 03-24-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:51 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I have moved your post from a thread on Rough Idle to begin your own thread on the suspension issues about which you are inquiring.
No problem, I just dont like creating new threads just to answer one or two questions. Good to hear the aftermarket replacements are up to scratch, I was worried that the spring isolators would be rubber versions and not the dense foam style jaguar originals.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:53 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I replaced my rear springs a few years ago because it felt a bit soft and any weight in the back would cause the rear to sag.
I bought some aftermarket Suplex springs (probably JLM12257) and had them fitted while I was having other work done - total waste of time and money.
They might have had the correct amount of coils (I can't remember) but the actual diameter of the "wire" was much smaller than the Jag original.
I might replace them at some point as the rear of the car practically bottomed out with 2 light passengers, a 3/4 full tank and a full boot.
I think the trick might be to buy XJR rated ones (JLM12342) as I imagine they are stiffer ??? Or just better aftermarket ones.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:29 PM
Received 7,678 Likes on 4,282 Posts

Originally Posted by Alster370 View Post
No problem, I just dont like creating new threads just to answer one or two questions. Good to hear the aftermarket replacements are up to scratch, I was worried that the spring isolators would be rubber versions and not the dense foam style jaguar originals.
It's almost always a better idea to start a new thread rather than posting in an existing thread that was on a different topic. This way, members with knowledge on your subject of inquiry will recognize an opportunity to help rather than assuming new posts in the existing thread are on the topic reflected in that thread's title.

Most vendors will show a photo of the spring isolators, and as far as I know, all of the aftermarket versions are proper yellow foam. I recently installed a set of the Rein brand "donuts" on an X300 and they looked just like the Jaguar OEMs. I purchased the last set Rock Auto had in stock, but they may have received more inventory by now.

Cheers,

Don